Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 16th 2007, 11:35 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
I wake up every morning thinking I am in some weird time zone.

I want a game of Pac Man with JR while Roland rat is rapping with Kevin the gerbil, meanwhile Holly Johnson would be fighting for his place on the stage and we are all spending £1 notes.

Arghhhh, i hated the eighties and here they are again in modern day Australia.
I had no probs with the eighties....excepting the recession which was a real bummer.....I got no probs with here, but I don't see the similarity.

This is here and that was then.

BTW, I like Asteroids
Old May 16th 2007, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Jeremy Clarkson in the Times Online wrote a funny comment on how crap real Brit pubs were anyhow.

How he'd rather go to a new gastro pub than be accosted by a darts player with his gut hanging over his belt in a old local.

For what's it worth, I'm with The Crow, we have pretty good country pubs here too.
Old May 16th 2007, 12:04 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.
Would have to disagree we have found Coles to stock far superior stock to all the local Woolworths but then Coles is next to North Lakes so say no more.

As for the Hooning I'm impressed that they use their own car which I much prefer to the British way as at least my own car is still there when I come out of work or the house.

Don't watch neighbors so can't comment but must agree the pubs need to lose the formica tables.

Politics Johnny is a little like a puppet no facial features that move, bring back Maggie never mind Michael and that would shake up the politics.
Old May 16th 2007, 12:18 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.
Drugs are bad
Old May 16th 2007, 12:25 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Drugs are bad
eezer Goode, eezer Goode

What...are...you...trying...to...say?
Old May 16th 2007, 12:28 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

eezer Goode, eezer Goode

What...are...you...trying...to...say?
eeeeeerrrrrr Drugs are bad mmmmmkayyy
Old May 16th 2007, 12:31 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Having been back in England for a couple of weeks it is definitely more modern than Oz but I wouldn't say twenty years.

It's so much cheaper. You can get a mobile phone line for around £20 with 600 minutes anytime to all networks and get free broadband thrown in at 8megs.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Having been back in England for a couple of weeks it is definitely more modern than Oz but I wouldn't say twenty years.

It's so much cheaper. You can get a mobile phone line for around £20 with 600 minutes anytime to all networks and get free broadband thrown in at 8megs.

Australia will catch up.....

in about 20 years
Old May 16th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I wake up every morning thinking I am in some weird time zone.

I want a game of Pac Man with JR while Roland rat is rapping with Kevin the gerbil, meanwhile Holly Johnson would be fighting for his place on the stage and we are all spending £1 notes.

Arghhhh, i hated the eighties and here they are again in modern day Australia.

Galaxians are best...btw when are you moving back?
Old May 16th 2007, 1:29 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by seasprite
btw when are you moving back?
Mate, if I could move back I would, the thing is you put down roots, kids, school, wife, job, contracts etc etc.

I am going to have to evac carefully, very carefully.

Missus loves it here and is here for the long haul.

If it comes to the choice I will choose.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:35 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
If you're talking about Queensland, I'd agree, but its not 20 years behind.....30 is closer

Last edited by Pollyana; May 16th 2007 at 1:55 pm.
Old May 16th 2007, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Mate, if I could move back I would, the thing is you put down roots, kids, school, wife, job, contracts etc etc.

I am going to have to evac carefully, very carefully.

Missus loves it here and is here for the long haul.

If it comes to the choice I will choose.
Hmm, softly, softly and all that. Well we are not short of luvverly proper little pubs in West Dorset...and soon to be smoke free so I can actually use them rather than sit in the beer garden...oh yes!
Old May 16th 2007, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Jeremy Clarkson in the Times Online wrote a funny comment on how crap real Brit pubs were anyhow.

How he'd rather go to a new gastro pub than be accosted by a darts player with his gut hanging over his belt in a old local.

For what's it worth, I'm with The Crow, we have pretty good country pubs here too.
Pot, kettle, black
Attached Thumbnails Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...-longclarksbig_169x450.jpg  
Old May 16th 2007, 5:37 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Only a short list here, because there's just too much to mention...

20 years behind?

Suits me.

Old May 16th 2007, 5:48 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

great. Buy as much enron shares as you can. off load in about 12 years time. thank me later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.