Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 17th 2007, 3:41 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Best wishes for your return to the UK and hope that you one day find that perfect life that you are looking for.
But thats just it, I can't return to the UK as the wife and kids love it here and won't even hear talk of the UK.

I am thinking about a move south to melbourne but we can't just move because I am not happy, there is only one I in family.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
But thats just it, I can't return to the UK as the wife and kids love it here and won't even hear talk of the UK.

I am thinking about a move south to melbourne but we can't just move because I am not happy, there is only one I in family.
why can't she comprimise and think about a move to Melbourne. I can tell you something for nothing that if she was unhappy you would be heading home mate.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:54 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
why can't she comprimise and think about a move to Melbourne. I can tell you something for nothing that if she was unhappy you would be heading home mate.
Well, I have a job here too, I earn top dollar for a few days a week and she is a woman of leisure. If we moved to melbourne I would not be as in demand and would take a 50% pay cut.

The kids are settled after a major upheaval coming out here in the first place.

We have to make Brisbane work it is Brisbane or bust.

I just like a good moan.

You are right though that if she was unhappy we would be out of here., Actually that is the reason we are here because she was unhappy in the UK.
Old May 17th 2007, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Granted some people love Australia and will defend it to the death but I am just being honest and expressing my opinions.
Get prepared for snide messages, chinese whispers, secondhand PM"S, nasty karma and hate mail then
Old May 17th 2007, 4:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Get prepared for snide messages, chinese whispers, secondhand PM"S, nasty karma and hate mail then
Nice of you to warn him before you kick off
Old May 17th 2007, 4:09 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Water's for poofs!
Old May 17th 2007, 4:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 17th 2007, 4:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.
...and you can take a bath in Blighty...
Old May 17th 2007, 4:45 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
I wonder how many families futures went down the toilet thanks to a homesick woman?
Old May 17th 2007, 5:30 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

Mate, of course I realise these are my opinions and thats why I am sharing them, I want to help others avoid making the same mistake I made by coming on holiday for a few months and thinking this is the life, no work sun sand and all that.

no, you opened this thread as a statement and was intended to be inflammatory

Australia is a tough unforgiving country climate wise as we are seeing at the moment with the drought, it is the driest continent on earth, there is not enough water to go around now never mind that we have to try and keep up with the new arrivals year on year. FFS I am now showering with a bucket to catch excess water for the garden.
im sure you would have been aware of the drought when you came on your holidays which you talked about
I have seen most of Australias capital cities and have seen a lot more of Australia than most of my work mates and people who have lived here their whole life and yet I feel it has nothing to offer me, why? Well because I know there is better out there. The yokels do not know what they are missing.

probably missing nothing, according to you

If you are reading this and thinking about coming to live in Australia all I can say is seriously think about why you want to come here, what are your goals and expectations, can they be achieved elsewhere?
Seriously, think about it.

couldnt agree more

Granted some people love Australia and will defend it to the death but I am just being honest and expressing my opinions.

yes there are people who will do that, but most people who have answered your thread have stated that not all australia is what you are making out to be.
Now, I might pop out for a pot or a schooner in my local bingo hall watching the locals gamble their lives away at the tab. [/QUOTE]

have fun
Old May 17th 2007, 5:53 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rebabaros
Mate, of course I realise these are my opinions and thats why I am sharing them, I want to help others avoid making the same mistake I made by coming on holiday for a few months and thinking this is the life, no work sun sand and all that.

Australia is a tough unforgiving country climate wise as we are seeing at the moment with the drought, it is the driest continent on earth, there is not enough water to go around now never mind that we have to try and keep up with the new arrivals year on year. FFS I am now showering with a bucket to catch excess water for the garden.
im sure you would have been aware of the drought when you came on your holidays which you talked about
I have seen most of Australias capital cities and have seen a lot more of Australia than most of my work mates and people who have lived here their whole life and yet I feel it has nothing to offer me, why? Well because I know there is better out there. The yokels do not know what they are missing.

If you are reading this and thinking about coming to live in Australia all I can say is seriously think about why you want to come here, what are your goals and expectations, can they be achieved elsewhere?

couldnt agree more

yes there are people who will do that, but most people who have answered your thread have stated that not all australia is what you are making out to be.
Now, I might pop out for a pot or a schooner in my local bingo hall watching the locals gamble their lives away at the tab.
have fun [/QUOTE]

That was a bit harsh-the guy was stating his opinions in afair way.
There are some who get on and moan about how boring and dull the place is.
Its seems rather ironic...and unfair.
If it does have a boring streak its all the "little Englanders" coming here over the last century and a half.
Its not like english immigrants are the ones who are going to add "razzle-dazzle". So if they are not happy make leave and free up space for more interesting groups-possibly the ones they don't like and whinge about.
Or to put it another way what do they expect from aplace that's been settled by boring Brits....like them!
Old May 17th 2007, 6:04 am
Banned

couldnt agree more

Now, I might pop out for a pot or a schooner in my local bingo hall watching the locals gamble their lives away at the tab.

This thread was in no way intended to be inflammatory, I actually resent that. What you are actually saying is that if my opinions do not match yours then I am a troll.

To answer your other points....

Firstly the drought was in it's infancy when we holidayed in 2003, no one would of predicted the next 40 odd months would have below average rainfall. That aside I am not entirely sure whether that would of had any bearing on our decision to move here. The drought will break and it will flood, what then? Poms whinging that it is too wet.

The yokels are missing something as most of them think of a foreign holiday as a day trip to Fraser Island. They know no better and believe what this nanny state has conditioned them to believe, that Australia is paradise.

Maybe it is just me, I have only ever been truly happy in one location and we have lived in quite a few countries over the years, maybe the old adage is true "there is no place like home" or "Home is where the heart is"

I wish I could love Brisbane/Australia but I am finding it very difficult, I feel like a man in an arranged marriage to a girl who he was promised would fulfill his every dream only to find she is a rather dull, boring girl who goes to bed every night by 8:30.

Last edited by Fat Bloke; May 17th 2007 at 6:19 am. Reason: Not telling
Old May 17th 2007, 6:24 am
Banned

This thread was in no way intended to be inflammatory, I actually resent that. What you are actually saying is that if my opinions do not match yours then I am a troll.

To answer your other points....

Firstly the drought was in it's infancy when we holidayed in 2003, no one would of predicted the next 40 odd months would have below average rainfall. That aside I am not entirely sure whether that would of had any bearing on our decision to move here. The drought will break and it will flood, what then? Poms whinging that it is too wet.

The yokels are missing something as most of them think of a foreign holiday as a day trip to Fraser Island. They know no better and believe what this nanny state has conditioned them to believe, that Australia is paradise.

Maybe it is just me, I have only ever been truly happy in one location and we have lived in quite a few countries over the years, maybe the old adage is true "there is no place like home" or "Home is where the heart is"

I wish I could love Brisbane/Australia but I am finding it very difficult, I feel like a man in an arranged marriage to a girl who he was promised would fulfill his every dream only to find she is a rather dull, boring girl who goes to bed every night by 8:30.
what I think you are missing is that there is a real difference between between people in sydney and Melbourne versus the smaller cities-they really are basically bogans for the large part in all those places.
Its like me going to Sheffield and saying its boring and the people are limited-remember half the population live in Sydney or melbourne and they really are only bogans in the outer subs there.
Old May 17th 2007, 6:37 am
A mile High

Location: Noosa, soon to be the US of A (for a little while anyway)
rebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to beholdrebabaros is a splendid one to behold

no, i never once meant or indicated that you were a troll
however when you start a thread entitled "australia is.....and heres why" then of course people are going to take exception to that, it is particularly unfair to those who are looking at moving here, you are giving an unfair generalization about the whole of the country, thats all i meant, and nothing else.

Last edited by rebabaros; May 17th 2007 at 6:40 am.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:03 am
Banned

no, i never once meant or indicated that you were a troll
however when you start a thread entitled "australia is.....and heres why" then of course people are going to take exception to that, it is particularly unfair to those who are looking at moving here, you are giving an unfair generalization about the whole of the country, thats all i meant, and nothing else.
I am sure that anyone with enough intelligence to plug in a computer and use google to find this site will have enough about them to realise that a single post in an obscure internet forum is reflecting the authors opinion and nobody else's.

I stand by all my comments in this thread and am happy to argue the toss til the cows come home.

No offence taken.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.