British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/australia-20-years-behind-uk-heres-why-450616/)

Fat Bloke May 16th 2007 10:34 am

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.

borehamwood May 16th 2007 10:42 am

Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke (Post 4787961)
It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

you forgot the powercut's

Nomore May 16th 2007 10:44 am

I agree fatty!!!

The Crow May 16th 2007 10:45 am

Not true in my part of Australia :)

Fenton May 16th 2007 10:47 am

Melbourne has loads of what would be described as "British pubs", why would you shop at Coles when theres plenty of markets, fishmongers, greengrocers and butchers, where the stuff is fresh that day unlike the british supermarkets where the so called fresh fruit and veg is already 4 days old before it gets to the supermarkets

northernbird May 16th 2007 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Fenton (Post 4788042)
Melbourne has loads of what would be described as "British pubs", why would you shop at Coles when theres plenty of markets, fishmongers, greengrocers and butchers, where the stuff is fresh that day unlike the british supermarkets where the so called fresh fruit and veg is already 4 days old before it gets to the supermarkets

in a lot of cases the fruit and veg is older than that. I used to to be PA to the MD of a large haulage firm who were responsible for ripening fruit and veg imported in via Sheerness. I could tell you stories that would make your hair curl!

Fenton May 16th 2007 10:51 am

I am currently working for Sainsburys, and your right it is scary!

nickyjohnt May 16th 2007 10:52 am

21 again woo hooo :thumbup:

Nicky :D

northernbird May 16th 2007 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 4788068)
21 again woo hooo :thumbup:

You wish chick :lol:

nickyjohnt May 16th 2007 11:03 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 4788072)
You wish chick :lol:

Yes i do wish :( !

northernbird May 16th 2007 11:07 am

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 4788127)
Yes i do wish :( !

You look lovely :D

Shakmaty May 16th 2007 11:12 am

Phew...thank Christ your only ranting....I was worried you'd fallen into some wierd time zone:)

Fat Bloke May 16th 2007 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Shakmaty (Post 4788178)
I was worried you'd fallen into some wierd time zone:)

I wake up every morning thinking I am in some weird time zone.

I want a game of Pac Man with JR while Roland rat is rapping with Kevin the gerbil, meanwhile Holly Johnson would be fighting for his place on the stage and we are all spending £1 notes.

Arghhhh, i hated the eighties and here they are again in modern day Australia.

Fat Bloke May 16th 2007 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Fenton (Post 4788042)
Melbourne has loads of what would be described as "British pubs"

It is a long way to go for a pint in a themed bar that has no character though wouldn't it?

I dont want a themed bar, that is exactly the point.

Fenton May 16th 2007 11:32 am

I meant by "British pubs"..ones that have snugs and corners, and have places where you can chat..have to say the last time I was in a country pub in England it loud music blasting from the speakers and fruit machines blaring away