Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 18th 2007, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
I am here because I love them.
Aw, that's so sweet.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:24 am
KAO
Forum Regular

KAO will become famous soon enough

A wife...

Seriously, she was Australia mad for a long time, years, I always resisted because I just knew that it would not be for me, I just knew.
Then, one night after a few beers a curry and a shag we talked again and she got her way, it snowballed and before I knew it we were on a plane doing a recce trip. Less than a year later we were on a plane again, this time with one way tickets.

She loves Australia, loves it. The kids are happy but they would be happy in Timbuktu, they are just kids.

I am here because I love them.
Please no egg throwing, but I think that's sweet! but OMG I hope the same doesn't happen to my family - you sound like us in a few years time! My hubby does want to go to Oz (as I have been Oz mad for longer than I can remember) but we're both planning to go on the basis that it is a trial. He'd rather move to Spain or Italy.

Surely you have personal interests that you can pursue over there though? I'm not implying that you have an unfulfilled life but you haven't put across much in the way of things you like. Maybe just try one thing that you'd have never seen yourself doing in the UK. You might get bitten by the bug
Old May 18th 2007, 2:39 am
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by KAO
Please no egg throwing, but I think that's sweet! but OMG I hope the same doesn't happen to my family - you sound like us in a few years time! My hubby does want to go to Oz (as I have been Oz mad for longer than I can remember) but we're both planning to go on the basis that it is a trial. He'd rather move to Spain or Italy.

Surely you have personal interests that you can pursue over there though? I'm not implying that you have an unfulfilled life but you haven't put across much in the way of things you like. Maybe just try one thing that you'd have never seen yourself doing in the UK. You might get bitten by the bug

I wanted to move to the deep south of Italy, Puglia (The heel bit of the boot) but the wife would not hear of it and used the language barrier as her main reason which is fair enough but we could learn Italian quickly enough, I speak a little already and she speaks 3 languages so......

I don't really have any hobbies, I am just that kind of guy.

I get bored with things real quick, I have tried lots of things since getting here and spent ridiculous money in the pursuit of happiness but you can't buy it.

I am just going to have to get used to life here and hope that one day we can think about moving back to a cultured European country.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:51 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

I wanted to move to the deep south of Italy, Puglia (The heel bit of the boot) but the wife would not hear of it and used the language barrier as her main reason which is fair enough but we could learn Italian quickly enough, I speak a little already and she speaks 3 languages so......

I don't really have any hobbies, I am just that kind of guy.

I get bored with things real quick, I have tried lots of things since getting here and spent ridiculous money in the pursuit of happiness but you can't buy it.

I am just going to have to get used to life here and hope that one day we can think about moving back to a cultured European country.

I should say, I also kind of prefer the south of italy to Oz, I supppose when Brits say Oz is boring one assumes they mean the UK isnt-I find the UK a dreadful place-in truth.
Seriously though you should consider trying Sydney-I wouldnt live in Brissy if you paid me, but for myself who always was attracted to mediteranean places, Sydney is way more than tolerable. In fact the Beach Suburbs I live have a kind of mediteranean feel-Coogee is in highly multicultural anyway-with very large Greek and Asian communities nearby.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:26 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
I should say, I also kind of prefer the south of italy to Oz
I find people that prefer the south of Italy to Oz are boring.

See what I did there?
Old May 18th 2007, 3:34 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
I find people that prefer the south of Italy to Oz are boring.

See what I did there?
Not really-I never said Oz is boring. I also am not sure I prefer the South of italy-I think i might. I wasnt ever bored in the UK either-although i do find british culture boring as all hell-but I should even qualify that-Obviously there is a hell of a lot of cultural acheivement in the UK, Australia obviously can't compete. I mean day to day culture-living in middle-England.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Not really-I never said Oz is boring. I also am not sure I prefer the South of italy-I think i might. I wasnt ever bored in the UK either-although i do find british culture boring as all hell-but I should even qualify that-Obviously there is a hell of a lot of cultural acheivement in the UK, Australia obviously can't compete. I mean day to day culture-living in middle-England.
Are you the Terminator?
Old May 18th 2007, 3:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Are you the Terminator?
Old May 18th 2007, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

jon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of lightjon and alex is a glorious beacon of light

Well I way prefer Brissie to Sydney. Haven't been to Melbourne so can't comment.
People keep referring to Bris as though its a small city - its now 2 million people and one of the fastest growing areas in the western world (or so I'm told!)
The people of Brissie are so friendly and happy, the weather is awesome and the surf is unbeatable.
I can't understand all the comments about "culture" either. What "culture" are you all referring to? Some of the comments seem to intimate that to have "culture" one also needs to have money or an education.
Are you bang into your opera's or something?!! Personally I'm a surfer and so I'm more than happy with the "surf culture". That's my culture you see. You can't say that Oz doesn't have culture because its a complete nonsense. You may not like the "culture" here (and by that I refer to the way of life) but you cannot say that it has none.
I like the way FB has gone about this debate. At the end of the day everyone is different and we like different things.
I really feel for you. It must be pretty hard being in a place you don't really like and feeling stuck.
By the sounds of things your job doesn't really lend itself to making lots of close friends (I may be wrong) so could it be this that is missing? You also don't sound as though you have a heck of a lot to fill your time? You say you don't work too much (lucky sod!!!) and don't have any hobbies.
Maybe a BE meet up might help?
Anyway, I might be way off so don't shoot me down too much!!!
Old May 18th 2007, 4:52 am
Banned

Are you the Terminator?
Please explain?
Old May 18th 2007, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

borehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant future

You been sniffing the barmaids apron mate?
hmmmm, philistine
Old May 18th 2007, 11:53 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jon and alex
Well I way prefer Brissie to Sydney. Haven't been to Melbourne so can't comment.
People keep referring to Bris as though its a small city - its now 2 million people and one of the fastest growing areas in the western world (or so I'm told!)
The people of Brissie are so friendly and happy, the weather is awesome and the surf is unbeatable.
I can't understand all the comments about "culture" either. What "culture" are you all referring to? Some of the comments seem to intimate that to have "culture" one also needs to have money or an education.
Are you bang into your opera's or something?!! Personally I'm a surfer and so I'm more than happy with the "surf culture". That's my culture you see. You can't say that Oz doesn't have culture because its a complete nonsense. You may not like the "culture" here (and by that I refer to the way of life) but you cannot say that it has none.
I like the way FB has gone about this debate. At the end of the day everyone is different and we like different things.
I really feel for you. It must be pretty hard being in a place you don't really like and feeling stuck.
By the sounds of things your job doesn't really lend itself to making lots of close friends (I may be wrong) so could it be this that is missing? You also don't sound as though you have a heck of a lot to fill your time? You say you don't work too much (lucky sod!!!) and don't have any hobbies.
Maybe a BE meet up might help?
Anyway, I might be way off so don't shoot me down too much!!!
No, no he loves it- feeling superior to the colonials and that.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:14 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

No, no he loves it- feeling superior to the colonials and that.
Mate, you are embarrassing yourself.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:58 pm
Banned

Mate, you are embarrassing yourself.
What I find interesting is you say to people in say perth or Adelaide,'have you tried Sydney or Melbourne, and they just dismiss you-thinking "how different can it be"-yet to me they are as different as London to Brimingham.
Maybe it is worth a try?
Old May 18th 2007, 2:01 pm
Banned

....I was out last night in Newtown in Sydney and it was buzzing and I thought more interesting than say Islington or Notting Hill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.