Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Old May 18th 2007, 12:03 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia is 20 years behind the UK.....and here's why...

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
Have you actually read the whole thread....Obviously not...
So why not try another part of Aus?

Only kidding
Old May 18th 2007, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Aye, and promptly put back in the bag and replaced with a crock of the brown stuff.
Come on Badge, this guy is bonkers.
Yeah but he's sort of interesting and there's the occasional nugget in there.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:35 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by borehamwood
you forgot the powercut's
F'ing tell me about it. I get a powercut in the night about twice a week, not a long one, just long enough to reset everything with a clock on it.

Then about once every 2 weeks I get a big nasy powercut, not a clean shut down but more of a Frankenstien off-on-off-on-drop to 12v- off-on-up to 330vols-off....3 to 6 hours later it comes on again.

So far my supply has destroyed one computer completely and the UPS that it was plugged into. 2 mp3 chargers, a DVD player and a multi cd player. Oh and only yesterday it did it again and this time I lost 15 hours of programming work, because stupid me I only back up my data every 24 hours so I lost a whole days work.

It's like the winter of discontent in the 70's for me here.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:35 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

KAO will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fenton
the so called fresh fruit and veg is already 4 days old before it gets to the supermarkets

But you have the climate to grow your own
Us Blighty's don't until they genetically modify the veg to grow from seed to fridge in a month!
Old May 18th 2007, 12:39 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
F'ing tell me about it. I get a powercut in the night about twice a week, not a long one, just long enough to reset everything with a clock on it.

Then about once every 2 weeks I get a big nasy powercut, not a clean shut down but more of a Frankenstien off-on-off-on-drop to 12v- off-on-up to 330vols-off....3 to 6 hours later it comes on again.

So far my supply has destroyed one computer completely and the UPS that it was plugged into. 2 mp3 chargers, a DVD player and a multi cd player. Oh and only yesterday it did it again and this time I lost 15 hours of programming work, because stupid me I only back up my data every 24 hours so I lost a whole days work.

It's like the winter of discontent in the 70's for me here.
I have only had about 5 in 2 years, why all the powercuts over with you.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:41 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
I really am not all that strange in real life.
For your sake I really hope that is true.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:45 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have only had about 5 in 2 years, why all the powercuts over with you.
You know, I've no idea. I'm only 20 minuted from a large town. I complained once that I had 330v comming out of my 15 amp supply in the shed and I was told not to be ridiculous as that was impossible. I was told I could have it checked if I paid the hundred bucks or so to have it tested.

I get the most amazing power cuts here. I sometimes get the strangest ones where the TV is on and working but all the rest of the house is out, except all the little standby LED's are on. When i shove my tester in the power sockets I get 24 ish volts which seems to work the telly and nothing else!

It's not just my place, because as you know I build computers, and quite often the locals call me out to fix their computers and 9 out of 10 times it's a power fault that's caused the problem.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon

It's not just my place, because as you know I build computers, and quite often the locals call me out to fix their computers and 9 out of 10 times it's a power fault that's caused the problem.
So you're happy then!

You sure its not due to your nefarious activities with time travel machines?
Old May 18th 2007, 12:49 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Only a short list here, because there's just too much to mention...

20 years behind?

Suits me.

Well said! Bravo!!

At the start of my english GCSE exam, I was sat listening to immature girls at the back making jokes about one of them giving birth in the exam! A couple of girls in my year had left that year of the year before to have a baby and one of the ones at the back actually was pregnant at the time of the exam.

Girl up the street from where I grew up has never worked a day in her life.
Old May 18th 2007, 1:37 pm
KAO
Forum Regular

FB, out of interest can I ask what initially attracted you to Oz? What did you think you'd have there that you wouldn't in the UK?

For me personally, I don't expect the people to be different. I don't expect the school/work systems to be different. Don't really expect the housing markets to be different. Politics? Well who cares...

The reasons I personally want to go are the weather and the more laid back lifestyle. The pace of the UK doesn't suit my pace. I get deadlines for stuff and sort it out a month or 2 later, that's just how I am. I'm late for everything. I sort my stuff out when it suits me.
We're struggling a bit here in the UK although there is a light at the end of the tunnel on that one, but I don't expect anything different in Oz. We'll probably still struggle but rather than sitting in front of the tv or a computer in the evening due to the cold/rain/nowhere to go that doesn't cost/ we'll most likely be spending our evenings on family outings. We're laid back outdoorsy people but the UK doesn't allow us to be like that.

I'll say this though, if I were in a position where I had a big house on the coast with nice views and didn't have to work too hard to keep it that way, I'd be taking advantage of the things that Oz offers that the UK does not.
Exploring, learning to surf, skydiving, scuba-diving, nice beaches, doing wildlife photography. That's just my personal interests which I know aren't everyone's cup of tea. The bottom line of what I'm saying though is that it's as boring as you make it.
I'm sure you could get stuck into something that you really enjoy and find people with whom who have the same in common.

K
Old May 18th 2007, 1:55 pm
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
To you mate (or to me for that matter) - but not for everyone. It takes different strokes to rule the world...
Its the people who pronounce Australia as boring who make that statement as if it objective fact.
Or they think those that like Australia must be 'outdoorsy'-I find Sydney ,at least, neither boring Culturally or in terms of the outdoors.
Actually I think Sydney and Melbourne offer about the best mix on the planet.
I find Britain and the UK culture mind-numbingly dull. Australia to me has moved in a more cosmopolitan and Tropical, laid back direction.
Italians who don't like the place are OK by me because they gave it something it didnt have.
Brits who don't like the place just contribute another whingeing Pom.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:02 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by KAO
FB, out of interest can I ask what initially attracted you to Oz? What did you think you'd have there that you wouldn't in the UK?
A wife...

Seriously, she was Australia mad for a long time, years, I always resisted because I just knew that it would not be for me, I just knew.
Then, one night after a few beers a curry and a shag we talked again and she got her way, it snowballed and before I knew it we were on a plane doing a recce trip. Less than a year later we were on a plane again, this time with one way tickets.

She loves Australia, loves it. The kids are happy but they would be happy in Timbuktu, they are just kids.

I am here because I love them.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:04 pm
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

....I suspect that those that pronounce Australia boring are boring themselves.

Last edited by Brewerboy1; May 18th 2007 at 2:45 pm.
Old May 18th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

borehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant futureborehamwood has a brilliant future

It does have a bit of a feel of Neil kinnock as far as politics is concerned, I watched the conference last week, well some of it and almost expected to see Michael Foot sleeping on the platform somewhere.

Fashion is fine if you are a twenty something and/or you don't mind dressing like Brad off neighbours.

Pubs are like community centres or bingo halls or something. There are no little nooks or corners where you can have a cosy chat, they have no heart or soul here, none at all.

Shopping in Coles is similar to kwik Save or some other corner shop, no choice and no quality. Woolworths is better but they have the monopoly.

Hooning is far far worse here, kids driving around in 4 litre jobbys screwing the tits out of them where their counterpart in blighty would be screwing a nova or mini, not quite the same eh?

The television is akin to 70's TV, bring back Knotts Landing or Howards Way.

Australia is not what it appears to be from the outside.
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. NELSON MANDELA, A LONG WALK TO FREEDOOM
Old May 18th 2007, 2:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by borehamwood
There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered. NELSON MANDELA, A LONG WALK TO FREEDOOM
You been sniffing the barmaids apron mate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.