Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Another abduction case... this time Wales.

Another abduction case... this time Wales.

Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:33 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another abduction case... this time Wales.

Originally Posted by Zen10
I think they must be certain or they would have fought harder to retain his anonymity.
It seems so impossible that she could still be alive although I hope she is. I know if he killed her he obviously is sick in the head but I feel no pity for anyone that sick in the head that they do that.

Some may say child killers can be rehabilitated but I dont think they should be given the chance - lock them up.

Hope there is some news today , her poor parents and that poor little girl.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We do know three facts - he was local, he was known to the family, and he was known to police. Given this information, plus the additional info that he had a van matching the description, explains why he was caught so fast and that DNA would not have made his capture any more likely or faster. And when was the last time there was a serial child abductor in Britain?
So many echoes of poor Sarah Payne back in 2000.
The police had Roy Whiting's DNA on file, they had him on the list of known local sex offenders, we knew pretty quickly that his van matched the wanted vehicle. He would've known the police knew all that. Didn't stop him abducting and killing Sarah.

And to go back further (and more controversially) Russell Bishop - suspected of though never convicted of the Sussex "Babes in the Wood" murders of Karen Hadaway and Nicola Fellows. The police had DNA on him, they had files that were like encyclopedias about his movements and he knew it. Didn't stop him abducting another small girl and then leaving her for dead on Devil's Dyke.

Both guys are believed to have thought they could outwit the police.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot cure people like that. Why should the taxpayer fund their lifetime in prison? It is one of the few things I'm in favour of the death penalty for- if they have abducted and killed more than once then they are extremely unlikely to be innocent.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 4:57 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
You cannot cure people like that. Why should the taxpayer fund their lifetime in prison? It is one of the few things I'm in favour of the death penalty for- if they have abducted and killed more than once then they are extremely unlikely to be innocent.
I'm fundamentally opposed to the state killing people, but this area is the one that comes closest to persuading me otherwise. Weirdly, I am less opposed to the Islamic system where the the offender is basically turned over to the family and they have carte blanche to punish him as they see fit. I feel child abductions and other serious crimes against the person would drop dramatically to the levels seen in Islamic countries if the potential offender knew it ended in a warehouse somewhere with the family, rather than the protected wing of a prison and gradual reintroduction to society, which is what currently happens.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:14 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
:sigh:

I thought this was back on topic...

Yes, I do very much dislike CCTV. For the comparatively few cases where it has helped solve crimes, there are more innocent people being recorded for doing what? Just going about their daily lives. They have a right to privacy. It's fair enough that you have no objections to CCTV - that's your prerogative. However, there are many people that do object to the invasion of their privacy. Let's agree to disagree.

Now, can we please get back on topic?
I'm really interested in why you (and many others) have an issue with cctv. The main objection is usually something very nebulous like "it's an invasion of privacy". But how is that logical? How can it be an invasion of privacy when you are walking down the street, in public?

What do people really mean when they say "it's an invasion of privacy"? I am really curious. I suspect that 99% of people, don't really know what it is they don't like about it. It is simply the fear of the unknown. A fear of change and, dare I say it, progress.

Consider it this way. What are the pro's and con's of cctv?

cons
It's an invasion of privacy. Mrs Miggins, who has never broken a law in her life, will have her privacy invaded every time she goes to Sainsburys. She may even be caught on camera, picking her nose.

pros
The images caught on cctv can be used by the police to identify suspects and criminals. In fact, as per the sad case just recently in Melbourne, CCTV images may well have gone a VERY long way towards identifying and apprehending a very dangerous individual. Without those CCTV images, the offender may have gone on to repeat the offence against other women.

How can people honestly say that their privacy is more important?? I'm baffled by this one, I really am. For me, it's in the same basket as those folks who believe that vaccinations are a "bad thing".
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

In relation to the original topic... the suspect is currently under arrest but has not been charged. A 12 hr extension was granted for further questioning and I am assuming that another extension has been subsequently granted.

Further extensions up to a maximum of 96 hrs can be granted.

Unless the suspect is charged by Saturday afternoon he will be free to go.

However - his name and face is now all over the media.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:38 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I'm really interested in why you (and many others) have an issue with cctv. The main objection is usually something very nebulous like "it's an invasion of privacy". But how is that logical? How can it be an invasion of privacy when you are walking down the street, in public?

What do people really mean when they say "it's an invasion of privacy"? I am really curious. I suspect that 99% of people, don't really know what it is they don't like about it.(Quite the assumption) It is simply the fear of the unknown. A fear of change and, dare I say it, progress. BS. I'd like to know how you could consider the increased intrusion into everyday lives by the state "progress". A lawful citizen has the right to privacy. Why should the state record what that person does on a day to day basis? They've done nothing wrong & shouldn't have to tolerate being monitored by the state.

Consider it this way. What are the pro's and con's of cctv?

cons
It's an invasion of privacy. Mrs Miggins, who has never broken a law in her life, will have her privacy invaded every time she goes to Sainsburys. She may even be caught on camera, picking her nose.

pros
The images caught on cctv can be used by the police to identify suspects and criminals. In fact, as per the sad case just recently in Melbourne, CCTV images may well have gone a VERY long way towards identifying and apprehending a very dangerous individual. Without those CCTV images, the offender may have gone on to repeat the offence against other women.

How can people honestly say that their privacy is more important?? I'm baffled by this one, I really am. For me, it's in the same basket as those folks who believe that vaccinations are a "bad thing". It is in no way similar to people refusing to get vaccinations (I'm with you on that point though - that irritates me). How many liberties would you see removed/curtailed, call it what you like, before you start objecting? Whilst it's sad that crimes happen, it doesn't mean an entire populace should be treated as criminals.
Answers in red.

I've noticed that the death penalty issue has (unfortunately) arisen. I think I shall bow out of the thread at this point, as that is always a slippery slope. See ya, guys & gals.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 5:45 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Answers in red.

I've noticed that the death penalty issue has (unfortunately) arisen. I think I shall bow out of the thread at this point, as that is always a slippery slope. See ya, guys & gals.
thanks for your replies ! But please don't bow out, it's just a grown up discussion / debate.... no need for it to get out of hand.

ps - you didn't address my two key points:
1) the costs of CCTV (innocent people being recorded going about their everyday activities) are surely outweighed by the benefits? aren't they?
2) how can an invasion of privacy occur, in a public place??

Please note, if the authorities start wanting to install cctv in my lounge (and dare I say it, my bedroom) - I'll be with you all the way

edit - just wanted to add one more thing. You said the following (in red)...and my comments are in blue
"A lawful citizen has the right to privacy. "Now I do agree with you that I should have a right to privacy. Perhaps, we just define privacy differently? "Why should the state record what that person does on a day to day basis? They've done nothing wrong & shouldn't have to tolerate being monitored by the state." Private companies, and the government, already collect large amounts of personal information on a day-to-day basis. The main objective is simply to make our lives easier. Phones. Bank accounts. Credit cards. Internet communications. Addresses. Phone numbers. Medical details. Photographs. Police records. All of this information is already being collected, but in my view, it does not mean that we are being "monitored". However, everybody should be aware that, under the appropriate circumstances, the authorities can collate all that info at fairly short notice.

Last edited by asprilla; Oct 4th 2012 at 6:20 am.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Most CCTV is recorded over itself within a 48 hour cycle at the very most.... unless there has been a recordable incident.

So to paint a picture that everything is recorded and stored is totally wrong.

Recorded for evidence of immediate crime is all that happens in the vast majority of use.

I would have been very strongly against CCTV up until this Meahger case.... not only did CCTV actually catch the perpetrator, it's almost certainly saved future killings from evil that had just come to the boil. I know this for absoulte fact. I will say more after the trial.

If there had been CCTV on the roads at least around where this little Girl went missing then the perpetrator would have definitely had second thoughts.... unless he wants to commit personal suicide by noterity.... which I suspect is the case with some of these people.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 4th 2012 at 6:03 am.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 6:20 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fundamentally opposed to the state killing people, but this area is the one that comes closest to persuading me otherwise. Weirdly, I am less opposed to the Islamic system where the the offender is basically turned over to the family and they have carte blanche to punish him as they see fit. I feel child abductions and other serious crimes against the person would drop dramatically to the levels seen in Islamic countries if the potential offender knew it ended in a warehouse somewhere with the family, rather than the protected wing of a prison and gradual reintroduction to society, which is what currently happens.
Do you have proof that the level of child abuse/abductions is low in those countries? I'm interested and don't know. What I do know is that they can legally marry a 12 year old girl so perhaps that's how they've got around the illegal bit. Just made it legal.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:08 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Do you have proof that the level of child abuse/abductions is low in those countries? I'm interested and don't know. What I do know is that they can legally marry a 12 year old girl so perhaps that's how they've got around the illegal bit. Just made it legal.
Well you're quite right to raise the shameful forced marriages, and I haven't got any stats to hand, no. Crime in these places, and others like Singapore, is generally accepted as being lower because of the draconian punishments, but of course it could be other cultural factors as well. But yes - good point about the forced marriages.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:14 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Well you're quite right to raise the shameful forced marriages, and I haven't got any stats to hand, no. Crime in these places, and others like Singapore, is generally accepted as being lower because of the draconian punishments, but of course it could be other cultural factors as well. But yes - good point about the forced marriages.
Also far less likely to be reported.
In some islamic countries, if you are raped, the last thing you would do is tell anyone.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:29 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
thanks for your replies ! But please don't bow out, it's just a grown up discussion / debate.... no need for it to get out of hand.

ps - you didn't address my two key points:
1) the costs of CCTV (innocent people being recorded going about their everyday activities) are surely outweighed by the benefits? aren't they?
2) how can an invasion of privacy occur, in a public place??

Please note, if the authorities start wanting to install cctv in my lounge (and dare I say it, my bedroom) - I'll be with you all the way

edit - just wanted to add one more thing. You said the following (in red)...and my comments are in blue
I am absolutely in favour of CCTV and quite honestly can think of no reason to be against it, I couldnt care less who sees me going into Sainsburys or walking down the street, it doesnt affect me one bit.
I am also very much in favour of the death penalty in cases where there is no doubt and there are plenty of cases where there is no doubt. Why waste millions keeping the scum in prison until they die ?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 7:39 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Also far less likely to be reported.
In some islamic countries, if you are raped, the last thing you would do is tell anyone.
Reported by the BBC in 2008..... So Shocking to think this actually happens in the world!

A young woman recently stoned to death in Somalia first pleaded for her life, a witness has told the BBC.
A few minutes later, more than 50 men threw stones.
Human rights group Amnesty International says the victim was a 13-year-old girl who had been raped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7708169.stm
Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:14 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Most CCTV is recorded over itself within a 48 hour cycle at the very most.... unless there has been a recordable incident.

So to paint a picture that everything is recorded and stored is totally wrong.

Recorded for evidence of immediate crime is all that happens in the vast majority of use.

I would have been very strongly against CCTV up until this Meahger case.... not only did CCTV actually catch the perpetrator, it's almost certainly saved future killings from evil that had just come to the boil. I know this for absoulte fact. I will say more after the trial.

If there had been CCTV on the roads at least around where this little Girl went missing then the perpetrator would have definitely had second thoughts.... unless he wants to commit personal suicide by noterity.... which I suspect is the case with some of these people.
Did you see that cops program last night about CCTV, the amount of accidents, near misses, incidents caught immediately on CCTV on the roads/tunnels - especially the one where the guy was abusing his girlfriend, she escaped into the tunnel to get away and CCTV caught him dragging her across traffic in to the car.

Or the stupid woman that got out of the car on a freeway/busy road and tried to take down the barriers to avoid paying fees - CCTV picked that up, staff were sent to the scene and saved that woman from being knocked over.

There was a case a while back when a security company monitoring CCTV spotted a young teenager being dragged in to the bushes - I think she got away but the footage was used to catch the guy.

Shame there was no CCTV around for this little girl.

I hope we hear something soon, not looking good though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.