Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Another abduction case... this time Wales.

Another abduction case... this time Wales.

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:10 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another abduction case... this time Wales.

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
But is CCTV that much of an issue? I dont even think about it as I go about my business.

The fact that it has helped a lot of people as in victims of crimes having their attackers caught, or families of victims etc, how is that a bad thing?
:sigh:

I thought this was back on topic...

Yes, I do very much dislike CCTV. For the comparatively few cases where it has helped solve crimes, there are more innocent people being recorded for doing what? Just going about their daily lives. They have a right to privacy. It's fair enough that you have no objections to CCTV - that's your prerogative. However, there are many people that do object to the invasion of their privacy. Let's agree to disagree.

Now, can we please get back on topic?

Last edited by mrsgreenstar76; Oct 3rd 2012 at 4:13 am.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
Yes, because Jill Meagher's mother has asked for it, that means we should comply? No, I don't think so. Whilst it's sad that she's lost her daughter, it doesn't mean the rest of the population should be treated like criminals.

This is still getting away from the gist of the thread. The thread isn't about the use of DNA & its moral implications, it's about a child being missing in Wales.
I live in a location where IMO it would be particuarly useful, as a main foot traffic route to a huge and mostly empty park. Plus it would be in private hands. I was only considering CCTV for personal use before, never even considered the crime solving aspect until these latest events.

Who knows someone may have used their private CCTV in Wales to help the police ?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:15 am

mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I live in a location where IMO it would be particuarly useful, as a main foot traffic route to a huge and mostly empty park. Plus it would be in private hands. I was only considering CCTV for personal use before, never even considered the crime solving aspect until these latest events.

Who knows someone may have used their private CCTV in Wales to help the police ?
I lived down the road from that town. There's very little in the way of CCTV there. Particularly compared to the big towns & cities.

Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:21 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally through my experienced eyes, if a DNA list had stopped just this one crime I would be for it.
I take the opposite view because I am more frightened of a police state that a child murderer. With the latter you have to be very, very unlucky to have your life ruined, but with the latter everyone's lives are ruined 100% without exception.

As for CCTV, if I thought I needed CCTV on my house to be safe I would move house, basically, because I would not want to live somewhere that required surveillance, or guns, etc., to feel safe.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that amazes me about these maniacs is that they always get caught 100% and they must know that when they set out to do what they do. CCTV might have helped, or the description the other little girl gave to police, or both, or most likely I think the fact that they knew she knew her abductor and worked form there.

Having his DNA on file or CCTV on every lamp post would have changed zip about this case, for sure.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:25 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsgreenstar76
I lived down the road from that town. There's very little in the way of CCTV there. Particularly compared to the big towns & cities.

I know you're a mod and all that - but this is the barbie, threads aren't going to stay on topic.

Anyway, I lived in Mach for a couple of years - the map that's included in the article makes it look much bigger than it really is, it's just a sleepy little village that's grown up around the junction of two roads (one of which spends a fair amount of time closed thanks to the Dyfi flooding).

Lets hope there's a positive outcome although I doubt there will be

And as others have said, I wish people wouldn't judge the parental actions of families in these situations, they must be going through enough hell as it is, blaming themselves anyway, without the scourge of social and general media taking them to task too.

I just think, thank God it never happened to me.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I know you're a mod and all that - but this is the barbie, threads aren't going to stay on topic.

Anyway, I lived in Mach for a couple of years - the map that's included in the article makes it look much bigger than it really is, it's just a sleepy little village that's grown up around the junction of two roads (one of which spends a fair amount of time closed thanks to the Dyfi flooding).

Lets hope there's a positive outcome although I doubt there will be

And as others have said, I wish people wouldn't judge the parental actions of families in these situations, they must be going through enough hell as it is, blaming themselves anyway, without the scourge of social and general media taking them to task too.

I just think, thank God it never happened to me.
I'm not speaking as a mod, I'm posting as an ordinary member. I would hate to see a perfectly good thread derailed & end up locked.

I know what Mach is like. It's tiny, but extremely friendly. I'm very much aware of the flooding! I grew up in Aber, but lived in Penegoes for a while.

I have been extremely impressed with the response by the locals though. The support the family (and the search teams) have received is amazing.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:21 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Having his DNA on file or CCTV on every lamp post would have changed zip about this case, for sure.
We don't know enough details regarding the offender to be able to comment about whether his DNA on file would have changed "zip"......

The offender (who we know nothing about) could be serial offender, in which case having his DNA on file may have meant he was caught after the first attack and prevented the 2nd abduction, 3rd abduction, 4th abduction, etc etc
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 5:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
We don't know enough details regarding the offender to be able to comment about whether his DNA on file would have changed "zip"......

The offender (who we know nothing about) could be serial offender, in which case having his DNA on file may have meant he was caught after the first attack and prevented the 2nd abduction, 3rd abduction, 4th abduction, etc etc
We do know three facts - he was local, he was known to the family, and he was known to police. Given this information, plus the additional info that he had a van matching the description, explains why he was caught so fast and that DNA would not have made his capture any more likely or faster. And when was the last time there was a serial child abductor in Britain?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 6:42 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Many people are equally against CCTV and refer to it as 'Big Brother' stating that it infringes on their human rights and they should be able to go about their business without being watched.

CCTV does not bother me in the slightest and it has caught many a criminal and in the recent rape/murder case of that Irish girl, CCTV saved her family from possibly never finding out where she was buried, not to mention catching the culprit pretty quickly.
Absolutely, I have no issue at all with CCTV. It is commonplace here in the UK and becoming equally common in Australia and as gas been said it was used successfully to apprehend the killer of the women in Melbourne.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Absolutely, I have no issue at all with CCTV. It is commonplace here in the UK and becoming equally common in Australia and as gas been said it was used successfully to apprehend the killer of the women in Melbourne.
First time this month but I agree too I am not sure someone can have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
First time this month but I agree too I am not sure someone can have a reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place.
Its becoming way too common for my liking
Im not sure why people have such issues with it to be honest.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 7:59 am

If anyone's on Twitter, Dyfed Powys police have been tweeting updates. The Guardian also has some good coverage on it.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:21 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

whoever took her in their van, they (if it isnt the arrested man) has not come forward, it is not looking good.

I just wonder who the hell could hurt a kid - what makes these people tick?
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:36 am

whoever took her in their van, they (if it isnt the arrested man) has not come forward, it is not looking good.

I just wonder who the hell could hurt a kid - what makes these people tick?
I know what you mean. I just can't understand it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.