Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the difference...

Why the difference...

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 8:19 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the difference...

I agree with G Adele is probably not depressed, based on what she has written, it appears that she is able to see both sides of the argument and have a positive attitude when she chooses to.
See the link below to read the full definition of depression:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=2947

Hope that helps clarify a few things for you Sth Aussie B&B
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If you want to say Australia is perfect, this is not the thead for you. Nor to tell me your negative views. This is not a me vs us debate.

What I would like to know is, *why* it is you are living in that so called ''parallel'' world and enjoying it when others are in dispair (or the other way around). Is there any decision or circumstance that makes your lot infinitely preferable? This does not mean you don't see any negative at all. (I would temper my positive experiences with negative ones - only I expect to experience negative ones and see them as inevitable, and often explainable).

Can anyone account for such a polarisation of views? I find it incredible at times especially when routine events reinforce the positive when others are still very much reporting the opposite - time and time again.

B
Hey Badge,

This is a good question, which may provoke a few people!

The way I look at it, there are certain things that are out of our control as mortals (although I am immortal :-)

-How you are thought of by others. What happens to you on a day to day basis. The actions of others towards you (rudeness, theft, rape, mugging, murdering, pillaging, bad cooking, terrible grammer, the weather, the government, -the list goes on, and on, and on).

But we CAN control where we are, what we do, who we accept into our lives, whether we say "yeah, shit happens, -keep smiling"

Without wanting to get too warm and fuzzy, I chose to come here. I chose to accept my surroundings, the people, their customs, the multicultural nature of this country, the varied climate, and all other aspects of my life in this new and exciting place.

Yes, there are positives and negative, as there are in every other place in the world. But I'm a damn sight happier here than I've been anywhere else in the world, and I'm proud to call myself an Australian.

I think a lot of the haggling occurs when people start comparing here to there, -which is just plain silly.

Not sure if you or anyone else will agree with my thoughts, but then again, I don't care. All in all, I love it here, and have no intention of moving on.

Hope you are as happy as I am.

J
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

The world is big, but we have good air transport, there are so many choices - what do you want from life?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Sth Aussie born and bred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I think YOU should see a doctor, take some medication, try some ECT and then reassess things a few months later.

That's my unqualified opinion. I may be wrong but you sound like you have BPD to me.

what is ECT ?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Sth Aussie born and bred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alipally
I agree with G Adele is probably not depressed, based on what she has written, it appears that she is able to see both sides of the argument and have a positive attitude when she chooses to.
See the link below to read the full definition of depression:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...rticlekey=2947

Hope that helps clarify a few things for you Sth Aussie B&B
For those that are interested beyond blue is an australia website on depression. Some of the symptons listed on this site are different to the above website.

I'm not interested in who is right and who is wrong here. I found my father hanging in the shed when I was 15, he killed himself due to depression, therefore if I can save 1 life by speaking out about depression then I've done a good thing and if I piss a few of you off because I dare to mention that D word then so be it.

www.beyondblue.com
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:23 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sth Aussie born and bred
For those that are interested beyond blue is an australia website on depression. Some of the symptons listed on this site are different to the above website.

I'm not interested in who is right and who is wrong here. I found my father hanging in the shed when I was 15, he killed himself due to depression, therefore if I can save 1 life by speaking out about depression then I've done a good thing and if I piss a few of you off because I dare to mention that D word then so be it.

www.beyondblue.com
I'm sorry that you lost your father in such tragic circumstances.

No one is upset about you mentioning depression on this forum. It is discussed on here from time to time.

I believe what got folk's back up - mine certainly - is that you offered a diagnosis and suggested a course of treatment! That goes way beyond suggesting to someone that they may be depressed. In my opinion, that is a very irresponsible thing to do, especially if you believe that the person in question is feeling vulnerable.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
Edited: No point in a discussion with someone who resorts to personal insults when challenged.
Very true, but unfortunately this mantra has not been adopted by certain people in their 'discussions' with Alipally on this thread. Actually, I have been quite shocked at what I have read on here and surprised that the mods haven't intervened as the attacks on her have been VERY personal.

I don't wish to re-hash the whole issue as it seems to have quietened down now - thank goodness. It is just that Grayling's comment prompted me to point this out because I have observed pretty poor treatment of Alipally in previous posts.

Carol

Last edited by cazzamia; Jun 24th 2008 at 3:25 pm. Reason: spelt Alipally's name wrong!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:39 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazzamia
I have been quite shocked at what I have read on here and surprised that the mods haven't intervened as the attacks on her have been VERY personal.

The mods (who are unpaid volunteers by the way) will intervene if you press the "report" button on any post you feel inappropriate. We are not able to read through every single post so sometimes we need you to be our eyes and ears.

Buzzy
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
The mods (who are unpaid volunteers by the way) will intervene if you press the "report" button on any post you feel inappropriate. We are not able to read through every single post so sometimes we need you to be our eyes and ears.

Buzzy
OK thanks. Didn't know that. Some other forums I go on are moderated in the way I mentioned, ie. there will be an allocated mod looking at posts on a particular day so they would normally pick up on improper behaviour and act accordingly.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:22 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Very true, but unfortunately this mantra has not been adopted by certain people in their 'discussions' with Alipally on this thread. Actually, I have been quite shocked at what I have read on here and surprised that the mods haven't intervened as the attacks on her have been VERY personal.

I don't wish to re-hash the whole issue as it seems to have quietened down now - thank goodness. It is just that Grayling's comment prompted me to point this out because I have observed pretty poor treatment of Alipally in previous posts.

Carol
Thanks for making the observation Carol, I was beginning to feel that I was being overly sensitive! My observations and thoughts are just that. It appears that it was taken personally.
Don't worry about it. I think that leaving the posts there, enable readers to draw their own conclusions from the 'discussion', I'd much rather everyone saw everything in it's original form and draw their own conclusions, whatever they may be.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Thanks for making the observation Carol, I was beginning to feel that I was being overly sensitive! My observations and thoughts are just that. It appears that it was taken personally.
Don't worry about it. I think that leaving the posts there, enable readers to draw their own conclusions from the 'discussion', I'd much rather everyone saw everything in it's original form and draw their own conclusions, whatever they may be.
Oh for god's sake, leave it alone will you! I have been intentionally ignoring your posts but you seem insistent on continuing the exchange.

FWIW I have never gone off at anyone like that on here before and I've been posting regularly on here for over a year now. It seems I am not the only one who thinks it was justified judging by the amount of karma I received for the post.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to re-hash the whole issue as it seems to have quietened down now - thank goodness.
So why bring it up again? Sensible.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Oh for god's sake, leave it alone will you! I have been intentionally ignoring your posts but you seem insistent on continuing the exchange.

FWIW I have never gone off at anyone like that on here before and I've been posting regularly on here for over a year now. It seems I am not the only one who thinks it was justified judging by the amount of karma I received for the post.
I haven't been following this thread but after the above I now feel compelled to read all 132 posts.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
I haven't been following this thread but after the above I now feel compelled to read all 132 posts.
I wouldn't, you're not missing much
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sth Aussie born and bred
what is ECT ?
Electro Convulsive Therapy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.