Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the difference...

Why the difference...

Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why the difference...

If you want to say Australia is perfect, this is not the thead for you. Nor to tell me your negative views. This is not a me vs us debate.

What I would like to know is, *why* it is you are living in that so called ''parallel'' world and enjoying it when others are in dispair (or the other way around). Is there any decision or circumstance that makes your lot infinitely preferable? This does not mean you don't see any negative at all. (I would temper my positive experiences with negative ones - only I expect to experience negative ones and see them as inevitable, and often explainable).

Can anyone account for such a polarisation of views? I find it incredible at times especially when routine events reinforce the positive when others are still very much reporting the opposite - time and time again.

B
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:32 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the difference...

Attitude. Plain and simple.

Some come here having never been to Australia, willing to take what it has and roll with it. Others expect the UK with sun then constantly compare to what they used to have.

Personally, I am lucky enough to have travelled the world with work or with my family and understand that there is more than one way of doing things. I try not to have pre-conceptions and take things as I find them.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:44 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of it is additude but also circumstance - i.e. being in the right place at the right time. Be that a chance meeting with a person who becomes a really good friend, the right place for you as a family to live or the right time in your life. Or you could call it fate
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Attitude. Plain and simple.

Some come here having never been to Australia, willing to take what it has and roll with it. Others expect the UK with sun then constantly compare to what they used to have.

Personally, I am lucky enough to have travelled the world with work or with my family and understand that there is more than one way of doing things. I try not to have pre-conceptions and take things as I find them.
Totally agree. It's all down to state of mind/attitude.

Some things are done differently here - so what? There are more ways than one to skin a cat. The UK way is not necessarily the best and only way.

Look for the good, ignore the bad. It works for me.

(I'm one of the lucky ones living in the parallel version ).
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:47 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
I think a lot of it is additude but also circumstance - i.e. being in the right place at the right time. Be that a chance meeting with a person who becomes a really good friend, the right place for you as a family to live or the right time in your life. Or you could call it fate
Good points. I am not really into that sort of thing but always felt "fate" was behind our move. Also, we came here before house prices rocketed so can afford a few big toys like the boat. But then there are always pros and cons. 12 months earlier and we would be $100K better off -you just have to count your blessings.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:51 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If you want to say Australia is perfect, this is not the thead for you. Nor to tell me your negative views. This is not a me vs us debate.

What I would like to know is, *why* it is you are living in that so called ''parallel'' world and enjoying it when others are in dispair (or the other way around). Is there any decision or circumstance that makes your lot infinitely preferable? This does not mean you don't see any negative at all. (I would temper my positive experiences with negative ones - only I expect to experience negative ones and see them as inevitable, and often explainable).

Can anyone account for such a polarisation of views? I find it incredible at times especially when routine events reinforce the positive when others are still very much reporting the opposite - time and time again.

B
It's simply a difference of opinion. Just because someone experiences something different doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong. Just different.

Maybe you find that harder to accept than you realise?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
It's simply a difference of opinion. Just because someone experiences something different doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong. Just different.

Maybe you find that harder to accept than you realise?
This is not about who is right or wrong. I agree with you: infact I think opinion is as important as attitude (like others have said). There are plenty of people with great attitudes who appear to have more negative opinions than they do positive. Above all it is a discussion forum and a negative opinion does not make a life.

I find it amusing that one country can polarise the opinions of so many, probably quite similar, people. I accept it, I find it sad that's all.

In fact I agree with 80pc of every negative thing ever said about Australia - but that negative thing either does not effect me personally nor others I know both Australians and migrants. For example, I see, and hear many of the negative things people report on my way into work but once I arrive in the city, that is left behind.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Worzel and Nightnurse. It's all about attitude. When we got on the plane in Toronto I said to Hub and the kids "ok, from this moment on Burlington is not our home. Home is where we are all together". Even through all the crap times we've had here we've always kept a positive attitude. We know that nothing is perfect, including Australia, but then neither are we.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:51 pm
A former regular of BE

How about this? If you are running away FROM the UK (normally) you are much more likely to struggle than if you are running TO Australia (for the hell of it).
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:27 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
How about this? If you are running away FROM the UK (normally) you are much more likely to struggle than if you are running TO Australia (for the hell of it).
The way the UK is going there is going to be lot of ppl running away from it..........we never came here with stacks of cash we came to Oz with a big will to succeed and a lets give it a go........weve been here 7 weeks and what we have experinced in that 7 weeks has overtaken anything we could have thought it to be.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 2:49 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with worzel. People who come here because the UK is "bad" are, in my opinion, very likely to head back there within 12monhs. (not everyone though, Katsmajics other half !!!)

Why do some people perceive aspects of Oz/or the UK as "bad" when others seem to disregard those issues entirely? It's down to the individual. I think that some people have experiences that are less than ideal, and then they are quick to blame their environment. The truth is, it doesn't really matter where they live in the world...sometimes they will experience good things...other times, bad things...
Old Jun 13th 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

It's all about attitude. When we got on the plane in Toronto I said to Hub and the kids "ok, from this moment on Burlington is not our home. Home is where we are all together".

I agree with this, when we landed we said that from now on we will never call the UK home and never convert the cost of things from AUD to GBP and I think we have succeded in both of those statements.

The big thing though as everyone else has stated is attitude, I have always been a glass half full type of person and this has always helped, but if you are a glass half empty type then you may struggle.

Also we came because we could, not because we hated the UK, I still think it is a great place to live.

John
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

As you know Badge, and JonD, all others known personally to me, I have had the most ridiculously positive experience since the wheels touched the ground. If people are having a bad experience in Australia, they don't like me banging on about how good it is. I've been described as a liar, a fantasist and as a broken record.

- If you whinge about the UK, you will probably whinge about Australia. I've been criticised before for saying that those who are escaping the UK will be the first to return there. I stand by that statement.
- Australia is home. Look forward, not back.
- Find a positive in everything, even if it looks negative.

I love living here. But then I loved living in London too.

Buzzy
Old Jun 13th 2008, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

B
The exchange rate

Seriously, people seem to take a far more realistic view of australias faults now they are not going to far less bang for their buck. Not much about lifestyle and I dont care what we earn these days.

But the biggest one is as others have said, leaving the UK because of the 'hithole syndrome. You still see those posts, loads of moaning about whats going on in OZ too.

However I dont think australia (or anywhere) is all positive or all negative for anyone really, not long term anyway, maybe in the first 3 weeks After that its ups and downs, goods and bads, positives and negatives, how many are 100% sure they will stay more than a few years.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:12 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Australia doesn't suit everyone and there are some things that people find as negative. Given this is an expat site, it's right to share those issues.

Personally I love Aus warts and all and didn't leave UK for any other reason than to try something new, and it worked. For us. However I understand Aus isn't utopia and there's nothing wrong with people sharing their negative experiences as well as positive. If everyone only shared the "happy clappy" moments this place would be bloody dull.

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Jun 13th 2008 at 10:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.