Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the difference...

Why the difference...

Old Jun 25th 2008, 3:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the difference...

Originally Posted by alipally
That's what I said, and, apparently I was wrong too!

You see the birds only DECIDED to fly away.... they didn't DO it!!

Philosophy.... never as simple as it first appears!
Strictly speaking that question has absolutely bugger all to do with philosophy. It's more a test of semantics and grammar and (possibly) lateral thinking - but philosophy ... ermm, no.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:08 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Strictly speaking that question has absolutely bugger all to do with philosophy. It's more a test of semantics and grammar and (possibly) lateral thinking - but philosophy ... ermm, no.
Agreed. Philosophy it aint.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
If you want to say Australia is perfect, this is not the thead for you. Nor to tell me your negative views. This is not a me vs us debate.

What I would like to know is, *why* it is you are living in that so called ''parallel'' world and enjoying it when others are in dispair (or the other way around). Is there any decision or circumstance that makes your lot infinitely preferable? This does not mean you don't see any negative at all. (I would temper my positive experiences with negative ones - only I expect to experience negative ones and see them as inevitable, and often explainable).

Can anyone account for such a polarisation of views? I find it incredible at times especially when routine events reinforce the positive when others are still very much reporting the opposite - time and time again.

B
Its; is the glass half-full or half-empty?. it also has to do with how rational and logical a person is-logical people realise that both countries are, relative to other places damn good. The people that don't like Oz din'nt like the UK back when they immigrated either-they lack overall perspective, objectivity.
I live in Sydney and have travelled extensively. the other day i was at a party and some people I know were bagging the suburb of Mosman profusely, now to me Mosman might qualify as the worlds most perfect suburb, but they were Aussies who have never travelled and fail to see just how good they have it-its the same with Brits.
Its not 'horses for courses' Australia logically is a fantasitc place-yet logic doesnt matter for some.

Last edited by hippyboy1; Jun 25th 2008 at 11:00 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just seen on another forum that the extreme weather warning was issued for last night's force 10 gale because the trees are not seasoned (like the UK ones) to cope with high winds.

Of course, in the UK, we don't issue weather warnings, we laugh in the face of force 10
Old Jun 26th 2008, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Nail. Head. On.
everyone sees things differently.
The main difference for me between the UK and Australia is one I have trouble even expressing and have had to think about how to put into words that is: I find Australia allows you to 'take control of your life' more-and to me that is EVERYTHING.
Does anyone relate to this, i would be curious as this never gets mentioned here.
What I mean is that Australians are often percieved (here) as unwelcoming and aloof to strangers-yet this is a slight misconception-Australian's leave people alone to live their lives and expect the same from others.
In the UK, I found, you can do everything right, but there is this x-factor, more bitter, jealous people that complicate things for you-and place you in situaltions that you sometimes can't control.
More people willing to make your life-their business.
Any thoughts. is this my imagination?
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:35 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly speaking no, it's not a philosophical question, but it bears thinking about, in as much as deciding/choosing means nothing without action... That was the point being made to me.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I've just seen on another forum that the extreme weather warning was issued for last night's force 10 gale because the trees are not seasoned (like the UK ones) to cope with high winds.

Of course, in the UK, we don't issue weather warnings, we laugh in the face of force 10

I saw that and peed myself, loved the bit about "it's only 60mph and we get that all the time in the UK"

I was on Mornington Esplanade at 10.00pm last night trying to stop a garage roof from blowing off and it wasn't that funny to me

John
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:48 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jond
I saw that and peed myself, loved the bit about "it's only 60mph and we get that all the time in the UK"

I was on Mornington Esplanade at 10.00pm last night trying to stop a garage roof from blowing off and it wasn't that funny to me

John
Good onya John.

On nights like last night I'm always glad the SES is there just so us CFA peeps can stay warm and snug (assuming no one starts a fire).

Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MartinLuther;6504837]Good onya John.

On nights like last night I'm always glad the SES is there just so us CFA peeps can stay warm and snug (assuming no one starts a fire).

Pretty quiet last night and today to be honest. Only about 10 callouts in total.

Not like that last big one, 200 plus in 4 days
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
everyone sees things differently.
The main difference for me between the UK and Australia is one I have trouble even expressing and have had to think about how to put into words that is: I find Australia allows you to 'take control of your life' more-and to me that is EVERYTHING.
Does anyone relate to this, i would be curious as this never gets mentioned here.
What I mean is that Australians are often percieved (here) as unwelcoming and aloof to strangers-yet this is a slight misconception-Australian's leave people alone to live their lives and expect the same from others.
In the UK, I found, you can do everything right, but there is this x-factor, more bitter, jealous people that complicate things for you-and place you in situaltions that you sometimes can't control.
More people willing to make your life-their business.
Any thoughts. is this my imagination?
hmmmm.......with a bit of empathy I can sort of see where you are coming from. You know what, I find alot of this endless controversy over details VERY subtle. It is more subtle than people realise.

I also have a theory that you therefore can't have it both ways. eg. Some people report that Australians are quite reserved and quiet (I would also say this about some) but that also stops them from being ''bitter or jealous'' or trouble. People claim to miss UK humour (I think Australia takes the best bits and the two are not completely divorced) but they also seem to miss scarcastic or quite cruel versions of it. (which I think Australians leave out - other than banter).

I said the other day that not all Australians are Steve Irwins. It's not true that all Australians are forthright and infact I would say no more than Brits. Some people really have a grudge against Australians, generalisation - I think they are a lot more astute than these people give them credit for and also accounts for their world reputation. As a nation, I find they are like ducks - calm and laid back on the surface which you see but peddling like mad underneath - and that is not a comment on work hours(!)

Strangely enough, another expat in Central Europe had that comment on the UK. In his case I suspect it is more of having mild contempt for another life which a new one helps put in perspective.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 26th 2008 at 10:31 am.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

Seconded. On ya John and the SES. I'd have a thermos flask on call just for those long nights.

Pretty quiet last night and today to be honest. Only about 10 callouts in total.

Not like that last big one, 200 plus in 4 days
We (CFA) had none - normally we'd get a couple. The press reported issues in Emerald and Pakenham not so far away - these areas always seem to cop it and are reported as trouble spots. We are close but seem to be spared some of it.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grayling
That is also a 'symptom' of many other things.

Why is anyone who is unhappy with their move to Australia labelled as being depressed

Perhaps it is simply a normal response to a crap situation.
How about depression-like feelings could well be one symptom of some people having moved to Australia and experiencing a crap situation. It is not unsual. People say so. The people with the "nerve'' to admit it are the most respected:

For those people who are ''too scared to post'' I don't have an issue with genuine cases, in general of people unhappy for whatever reason. I personally just don't have time for some people (a minority)to wade in criticising when they fail to apply the old grey matter and blame everything else all the time, especially when it is proven that this is not the norm, nor the norm for all in Australia. As I've said, I think alot of the controversy is subtle and some of the old complaints I think get a tad tired. If I am miffed with something I think about why or how something is an issue rather than the emotion and often the reason and then the solution is clearer. My wife has taken to doing this too and she's amazed at how happier she is now or at least day to day baggage is put in perspective.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jun 26th 2008 at 11:05 am.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd have a thermos flask on call just for those long nights.

It's quite strange that on the really windy nights we don't get called out too much, then on other nights the pager doesn't stop. It is still enough to ruin a good nights sleep though as you tend to have an ear out for the pager.

Don't bother with the thermos, with big generators on board a fresh cuppa is always available

By the way what do you think of the new joint HQ at Pakenham, looks quite flash to me.

John
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd have a thermos flask on call just for those long nights.

It's quite strange that on the really windy nights we don't get called out too much, then on other nights the pager doesn't stop. It is still enough to ruin a good nights sleep though as you tend to have an ear out for the pager.

Don't bother with the thermos, with big generators on board a fresh cuppa is always available

By the way what do you think of the new joint HQ at Pakenham, looks quite flash to me.

John
Looks cool. You wouldn't want to speed to a job.

I had the impression that no CFA mob was in it but that conversation is already a year old. That Pakenham (town) resent it. That there is a rivalry between current Pakenham station and an older one as it is.

Someone said Toomuc Valley should move in!
Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just my addled brain or is there some SERIOUS wank being posted on this thread.

Fruit loops spring to mind

And for once Badge I'm not talking to you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.