Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why the difference...

Why the difference...

Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why the difference...

Originally Posted by rabsody
I wouldn't, you're not missing much
Must admit I skimmed it. Saw your bit though.

Oooh missus!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Please desist from any personal insults or the thread will be closed.

Mod.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:11 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So why do people think Aus is behind? It's because Aus didn't do it the British way, which is naturally the superior way (even if it comes with sticky tape).
Nail. Head. On.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 4:18 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Bollocks .....stop patronising
Originally Posted by Grayling
Edited: No point in a discussion with someone who resorts to personal insults when challenged.
Yea - and your original response was so calm and measured.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:15 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Possums
I really dont think anyone would decide to marry someone and live half way round the world without considering the affect it would have on them. Just as the rest of us did in which ever circumstances we emigrated.

as its already being pointed out to you on an earlier post everybody on here who has emigrated has done so looking for a better life, we were all you once upon a time. But until you live here yourself how can you make a comment on how people feel?

for some it works, for some it doesnt.

Your simplist view may be true, of course they have the choice to do so but could you imagine leaving your children in another country? Or leaving your husband?

I really hope your new life in Oz works for you and that we are not reading a disatisfied/homesick post from you in a years time, especially if your OH loves it here... but then you will have the choice to leave him and come back won't you.
You are absolutely and unequivocally right, I can choose, and by taking action on that decision, I also accept the consequences that accompany that, positive AND negative. Pleasurable and painful. Whatever humans choose is usually the path of least pain and most pleasure.

So, is there a recipe for happiness that will work for all of us?

For Epicurus, one of life's greatest pleasures was to be found in friendship. He felt that good friends were relatively easy to obtain, and bought an almost endless stream of pleasure. A grand mansion filled with luxuries but empty of company would bring much less pleasure than a small basic flat which was shared with true friends, according to this belief.

Because of this, he advocated that the first thing anyone who aims to be happy should do is strive to find friends. Join a club, start a course, or play a sport in order to form connections with your fellow humans. A sure way to happiness is to spend more time socializing.

I hope that all of the karma that Rabsody received results in some true friends... if Epicurus is to be believed.

My own thoughts though lean towards Aristotle's....We are what we choose.

Although.....

A question that a philosophy lecturer asked me, after I made this statement!

6 birds are sitting on a telephone wire. 4 of them decide to fly away. How many birds are left on the wire???
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alipally
Thanks for making the observation Carol, I was beginning to feel that I was being overly sensitive! My observations and thoughts are just that. It appears that it was taken personally.
Don't worry about it. I think that leaving the posts there, enable readers to draw their own conclusions from the 'discussion', I'd much rather everyone saw everything in it's original form and draw their own conclusions, whatever they may be.
No worries - you are right that it should all be left there for others to make their own judgements. Nevertheless, I felt I had to speak out because I was disgusted at what I saw happening and don't like to see this kind of bullyish behaviour going on, simply because someone gives their opinion on something. Sadly, it also seems that you are also not even allowed to respond when someone else sticks up for you but on the other hand I am glad to see that a moderator is now monitoring this situation.

For what its worth - I too think that life is too short to be miserable in one place and if the only thing stopping me move back to the UK was finances, I wouldn't think twice about it.

All the best.

Carol
x
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:30 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

6 birds are sitting on a telephone wire. 4 of them decide to fly away. How many birds are left on the wire???
6 - 4 = 2

am I wrong?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 10:39 am
Just Joined

cazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to allcazzamia is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markallwood
6 - 4 = 2

am I wrong?
Probably. It can't be the obvious answer now can it?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:07 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
6 - 4 = 2

am I wrong?
That's what I said, and, apparently I was wrong too!

You see the birds only DECIDED to fly away.... they didn't DO it!!

Philosophy.... never as simple as it first appears!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:50 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

A teacher asks her class, ''If there are 5 birds sitting on a fence and you shoot one of them, how many will be left?'' She calls on little Johnny.

''None, they all fly away with the first gunshot.''

The teacher replies, ''The correct answer is 4, but I like your thinking.'' Then Little Johnny says, ''I have a question for YOU. There are three women sitting on a bench having ice cream. One is delicately licking the sides of the triple scoop of ice cream. The second is gobbling down the top and sucking the cone. The third is biting off the top of the ice cream. Which one is married?''

The teacher, blushing a great deal, replies, ''Well I suppose the one that's gobbled down the top and sucked the cone.''

''The correct answer is the one with the wedding ring on...but I like your thinking.''

Old Jun 25th 2008, 11:55 am
Ping pong PoM

V V funny!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

What wire?
Old Jun 25th 2008, 1:16 pm
Australia's Doorman

The spoon.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:39 pm
Ping pong PoM

Originally Posted by Hutch
The spoon.
Finally the answer we've all been looking for!
Old Jun 25th 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

That's what I said, and, apparently I was wrong too!

You see the birds only DECIDED to fly away.... they didn't DO it!!

Philosophy.... never as simple as it first appears!
Doh!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.