Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Wikiposts

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Old May 16th 2003, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Cheese
Yeah good one, just what my kids would have wanted when we arrived here, not only to be taken to the other side of the world leaving all their friends behind, but here you go kids, Mum and Dad are going off for some quiet time so here's someone you've never met before to look after you!

Where were you when we were moving over here?
pretty cheesey response.
If you believe for a minute that I mean that then fine
Of course people dont hire nannies/childminders/nursery staff in the UK.
And if they did, of course they would shove the kids at them and run -of course. Now why didnt I think of that?

Hmmmn you do sound stressed...perhaps you could do with a night off with your partner!

and the million pound question -why are women expected to be super women?
Old May 16th 2003, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah good one, just what my kids would have wanted when we arrived here, not only to be taken to the other side of the world leaving all their friends behind, but here you go kids, Mum and Dad are going off for some quiet time so here's someone you've never met before to look after you!

Where were you when we were moving over here?
Did you actually read the post that you replied to?
Old May 16th 2003, 1:15 am
Just Joined

Cheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ruthyman
pretty cheesey response.
If you believe for a minute that I mean that then fine
Of course people dont hire nannies/childminders/nursery staff in the UK.
And if they did, of course they would shove the kids at them and run -of course. Now why didnt I think of that?

Hmmmn you do sound stressed...perhaps you could do with a night off with your partner!

And you talk about misinterpretation, yes my wife and I have used nannies in the UK, but obviously our children were at home with their surroundings, not the other side of the world.

Stressed is the last thing I feel here in Australia, Melbourne is a relaxed kinda place.

The million pound question - why aren't you asking why men are expected to be supermen, bit sexist there aren't we? My wife and I believe in sharing and I would never assume that she should be running the household, why would I she works as hard if not harder than me?
Old May 16th 2003, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

yes Tony I did
Im not suggesting anyone land in the country and be seperated from their parents kicking and screaming.
Im suggesting that a mum on her own in a new country might find it helpful to have someone come over and help out for a few hours as a sort of general helper. And that if all and sundry eventually felt comfortable with the arrangement that even a half hour walk or allowing mum to catch up on some sleep in the next room while said helper kept an eye on the children, might just come in useful.
Now unless this helper is some kind of axe murderer I dont really see the problem.
At least the mum might get some cleaning, ironing or cooking done leaving her more quality time with the kids.
Or she might find she has another adult to talk to, who has some experience of the country she is in.
I think a professional relocator should at least offer the prospective movers this option, even if only for the week the other partner is away from home. Its not compulsory, and its not always an affordable option but its an option, and given the choice, some might think it a useful one.
Old May 16th 2003, 1:17 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

And you talk about misinterpretation, yes my wife and I have used nannies in the UK, but obviously our children were at home with their surroundings, not the other side of the world.

Stressed is the last thing I feel here in Australia, Melbourne is a relaxed kinda place.

The million pound question - why aren't you asking why men are expected to be supermen, bit sexist there aren't we? My wife and I believe in sharing and I would never assume that she should be running the household, why would I she works as hard if not harder than me?

Come on you lot, I thought this post was meant to be about living in Tauranga. Not a cat fight about Nannies.
Old May 16th 2003, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Again I can only scratch my head at this. The question isnt about who does what- its about a program on tv where a prf. relocator takes a whole family to a new country, the man leaves for an entire week and the woman is left on her own to organise house, rear kids etc, so who is the superperson here? Why are you turning this into a personal and sexist argument?
Also, why does the mother, during this period actually need to be separated from her kids? Why can there be someone there to help out, while she is on her own.
applogies for dig about stress btw
Old May 16th 2003, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Because I quite like the whole lycra leotard look. Or was that wonder women.
Old May 16th 2003, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

yes Tony I did
Ruthyman, my post was directed at Cheese, not you. I quoted the original from Cheese, so I'm surprised that you made that mistake. I actually agree that it's an idea worth considering. After all, you suggested that this "nanny" might only be there whilst the mother (or father) is, to give adult company and some respite to do other things (even if it's just cooking). Cheese obviously didn't read your post, to pick up this idea.
Old May 16th 2003, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Again I can only scratch my head at this. The question isnt about who does what- its about a program on tv where a prf. relocator takes a whole family to a new country, the man leaves for an entire week and the woman is left on her own to organise house, rear kids etc, so who is the superperson here? Why are you turning this into a personal and sexist argument?
Also, why does the mother, during this period actually need to be separated from her kids? Why can there be someone there to help out, while she is on her own.
applogies for dig about stress btw
Sorry if you feel I'm personally attacking you, I guess I needed to read through the other hundred or so reponses to this thread rather than trying to come in at the end! I think we are saying the same thing, when my wife and I came over with the kids the last thing we wanted to do was spend time apart so we made a decision that no matter what for the first 6 months at least we slept under the same roof. So when she had to go away and do work assessment stuff we went along. And the same when I had to go off and sort out some of my business stuff. It worked for us, if you go that far from home, family, friends the last thing you want is to be seperated as soon as you get there.

We've been here for 3 years now and love it, everything seemed to fall into place, maybe we were just lucky. We had ups and downs, its not heaven after all. Life here is better and worse that we expected in many different ways. The kids love it and they want to stay (at least that whats they say this week!). And I love it as well and although I miss many things about the UK, I think now there's more I'd miss about being here.

So sorry Ruthyman if you felt got at, I apologise and look forward to debating with you again. Can't believe I only find this website once I had moved over here! Good to hear about what everyone else is going through though.

It's worth it I promise.
Old May 16th 2003, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by sofistek
Ruthyman, my post was directed at Cheese, not you. I quoted the original from Cheese, so I'm surprised that you made that mistake. I actually agree that it's an idea worth considering. After all, you suggested that this "nanny" might only be there whilst the mother (or father) is, to give adult company and some respite to do other things (even if it's just cooking). Cheese obviously didn't read your post, to pick up this idea.
ermm.... (very embarrased now), sorry Tony
and actually cheese sounds like he cares very much about his kids and only wants the best for them.
Its just that the male relocator in that program did get me quite upset as I thought he didn't consider this aspect of raising a family (esp the brisbane program). Having to fight jet lag, two kids, go on job interviews, get dinner ready, and at the end of it be home alone with just the walls to talk to...

Um, and Cheese we are heading to melbourne eventually
Where are you Tony?
Old May 16th 2003, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ermm.... (very embarrased now), sorry Tony
Where are you Tony?
No problem. I'm in Berkshire but hope to be heading for NZ (putting in the application this month). Not sure where in NZ, depends on where I can get a job.

The "kids" aren't too much of a problem (18 and 15)!
Old May 16th 2003, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

Sorry if you feel I'm personally attacking you, I guess I needed to read through the other hundred or so reponses to this thread rather than trying to come in at the end! I think we are saying the same thing, when my wife and I came over with the kids the last thing we wanted to do was spend time apart so we made a decision that no matter what for the first 6 months at least we slept under the same roof. So when she had to go away and do work assessment stuff we went along. And the same when I had to go off and sort out some of my business stuff. It worked for us, if you go that far from home, family, friends the last thing you want is to be seperated as soon as you get there.

We've been here for 3 years now and love it, everything seemed to fall into place, maybe we were just lucky. We had ups and downs, its not heaven after all. Life here is better and worse that we expected in many different ways. The kids love it and they want to stay (at least that whats they say this week!). And I love it as well and although I miss many things about the UK, I think now there's more I'd miss about being here.

So sorry Ruthyman if you felt got at, I apologise and look forward to debating with you again. Can't believe I only find this website once I had moved over here! Good to hear about what everyone else is going through though.

It's worth it I promise.
No worries Cheese. I can't even read the quotes properly! Has been fun tho, and as per my last thread, Im heading to Melboune eventually. Do you mind if I send you a pm?
Old May 16th 2003, 2:08 am
Just Joined

highwinger is an unknown quantity at this point

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh so good to see you all kissed and made up !!
Old May 16th 2003, 2:15 am
Just Joined

No worries Cheese. I can't even read the quotes properly! Has been fun tho, and as per my last thread, Im heading to Melboune eventually. Do you mind if I send you a pm?

Send away, any advice I can give about Melbourne feel free to ask
Old May 16th 2003, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

Send away, any advice I can give about Melbourne feel free to ask
Cheers Cheese will do Monday-ish
Tony good luck in your quest for NZ. Never been, but quite tempted by it.

Aw shucks but we are a lovely bunch and isnt it great to be alive.
I only see my hubby on the weekend so he lets me stay up too late on fridays, eat too much pizza, drink too much wine, and sleep in as long as I like on Sat. Yay
Goodnight and a lovely weekend to you all

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.