Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Wikiposts

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Old May 13th 2003, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

I watched the programme last night and thought it was really good now the other half wants to go to NZ!! - (before anyone jumps down my throat may I point out that both of us have worked and lived in NZ before and same in Oz) so we know what both countries are like.

I thought it was a very stressful time for the family and they handled themselves pretty well and certainly seemed very organised to me - the relocators didnt really have anything to do! Im not a parent not yet so not sure how I would be coping but I doubt it would be very well. I thought this post was to be for people to exchange views on the country, place and not the people in programme. Whilst everyone is entitled to an opinion that opinion should be informed and to use derogatory language and put someone down based on a short programme is totally unfair.

I for one thought the family featured were brave. Good luck to them.

rizalan

Old May 13th 2003, 8:35 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by sofistek
Don't completely diss the relocators. True, the bloke did nothing except stress the negatives but the woman at least provided some help. She found them their initial rental property, discovered a school open day and checked on various essential services that they needed.

Just as the programme didn't give the full story on the family, it probably didn't give the full story on the relocators' work.
Fair point - I would be glad of someone to help me out initially like that too.

However the relocators seemed to be portraying the family unfairly with their negative comments (at least the man did), and so far in the entire series they have not portrayed themselves as usefull to me.
Old May 13th 2003, 8:41 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Scarlett G
Well I thought it was good and everyone needs to "breathe in and out...stay calm"!! A woman after my own heart with cleaning and NZ shows very little signs of litter etc (it's all I chunter on about here).
Moving away is a very VERY stressful experience, we did it and you do act irrationally under pressure. All I can say to those who critised Julie is wait until you are in the same situation...it will be nothing like you expect, your emotions will be all over the place and remember the programme is edited for 'dramatic' effect.
Personally I really do wish them lots and lots of luck and hope they keep in touch to let us all know what is happening
I have to agree totally with you. Who knows how we will all deal with what must be one of the most stressful times of your life. Especially with young children.

Re the cleaning - Well I just do not know what my Ugly Step Sisters will do when I leave them here !!!

Old May 13th 2003, 8:43 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cinderella
I have to agree totally with you. Who knows how we will all deal with what must be one of the most stressful times of your life. Especially with young children.

Re the cleaning - Well I just do not know what my Ugly Step Sisters will do when I leave them here !!!

Oh and I did mean to add.

GOOD LUCK JULIE AND FAMILY !
Old May 13th 2003, 8:47 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

I wish you and your family all the very best of luck and hope your buisness takes off big time.
I also thought the girl relocator was quite good, she seemed genuine and wanted you to succeed, (she was a bit tasty too)
any way good luck but I think you and you,re will make it work any how
Old May 13th 2003, 8:48 pm

Originally posted by sofistek
Don't completely diss the relocators. True, the bloke did nothing except stress the negatives but the woman at least provided some help. She found them their initial rental property, discovered a school open day and checked on various essential services that they needed.

Just as the programme didn't give the full story on the family, it probably didn't give the full story on the relocators' work.

Yes, Who knows what goes on behind the scenes. I would welcome someone sorting out those initial things for me. House to rent, nice school, doctor etc. Didn't hear any complaints from Julie and family.
Old May 13th 2003, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

highwinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone who has seen the 2 versions of the Michael Jackson interview will know that you should never judge someone by how they appear on TV. If TV compressed anyones bad moments over such a long period of time into an hour we would all look pretty horrible (if they wanted us to) and as the little girl says her Mum is great. Felt bloody sorry for the little boy though hope he is OK.

I found this was a pretty good one compared to the Brisbane programme and the family seemed to get everything together very quickly. I only wish I had seen it a couple of months ago because with all the advice on the forum I don't think I ever saw anyone suggest deffering the mortgage payments. Great idea and gives you a bit of extra money when you most need it.

Good luck to the family.
Old May 13th 2003, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all,

it was actually mellissa who we dealt with all the time and we still keep in touch. there were a lot of people helping behind the scenes but we felt we had to be in control of such a big move and that is why we pushed things along quickly. you make your own luck and we are not the sort of people who wait for things to happen.
the business is doing really well and the master franchisee in auckland has had a load of e mails from the uk asking about buying a franchise. i think i should charge her some comission.
the kids are fine, julies a bit homesick but willing to stick it out (i.e not in it for herself)
i think these last e mails have cheered her up a bit.
thanks

paul
Old May 13th 2003, 9:42 pm

Originally posted by firing1
thanks all,

it was actually mellissa who we dealt with all the time and we still keep in touch. there were a lot of people helping behind the scenes but we felt we had to be in control of such a big move and that is why we pushed things along quickly. you make your own luck and we are not the sort of people who wait for things to happen.
the business is doing really well and the master franchisee in auckland has had a load of e mails from the uk asking about buying a franchise. i think i should charge her some comission.
the kids are fine, julies a bit homesick but willing to stick it out (i.e not in it for herself)
thanks

paul

Julie, don't take all the negatives things to heart, even though some of them were pretty awful.

GOOD LUCK.
Old May 13th 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by firing1
thanks all,

thanks

paul
Thanks for being brave enough to put yourself in the firing line. Definitely the best and most informative of the programmes to date.

I couldn't understand why the relocators were so concerned about the speed you got yourself sorted .. all the other relocations have hit problems when the families haven't got on with the essentials ... like sorting out their own accomodation and jobs!!

As for the valeting - if i'm ever in the area I'll definitely book you .. the cars looked great after you had finished. I'll get my cars cleaned properly before I try and sell them here in the UK.

Good luck.

Kev
Old May 13th 2003, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

We also watched the programme last night and quite obviously the programme makers only show the bits they want - to make good TV so we all watch! We watched because we are in the process of moving to NZ and wanted abit of an insight and were basically curious. To be honest I think Ian's coments were only what a lot of people where thinking when they watched the show - remember the only trailer was the bit with the arguement at the beach. I think we all fell in to the trap of being wraped up with a TV show and forgetting this is an actual family. To whom I wish all the best.

Tori
Old May 13th 2003, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

simonsays is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul & Julie
Ignore those couple of rude posters. Good luck with the future - it sounds like you have done all the hard foundational work now so that will reap dividends later on.

Simon & Kelly
Old May 13th 2003, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so glad that people have started to be nice again since I was last on this thread. Julie ignore the idoits of this world (and there are many of them) the only poeple whose opinions matter are those people who are important to you.
The negative folk will find out soon enough what relocating is all about and all the pressures it brings as well as happiness. I am sure the kids are loving school and kindy (great to hear that word again!!), I have just dropped my youngest off at playschool and he is now stuck inside there (happy mind you) when he could be in the sandpit and romping outdoors at Matua Kindy !!
After the programme I just thought....can't wait to get back there. Hey!! If I do let's start a cleaning business together!!!!

Scarlett
Old May 13th 2003, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

simonsays is an unknown quantity at this point

PS. footie chick - this thread has reached a century and a mighty quick one at that
Old May 13th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

although the funniest bit was when after you
had started a business,
got tax sorted
got the kids in school,
bought a house,
car,
furniture etc

and she asked "are you going to stay?"

have you any idea of their credentials as 'relocators' ?

as that amanda lamb is billed as an 'expert' on p.i.t.s. but on questioning her 'expertise' to C4 it became strangely slient..

cheers

richard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.