Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Wikiposts

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Old May 14th 2003, 6:10 am
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Hi Firing 1 and family,

have ben following this post with interest and am eagerly awaiting the tape in the post from my mum!

Julie- ignore all the rude people, they haven't got a clue till they have done it themselves. When we came over to NZ we didn't know anyone and had never been here before. Hubby had a job to go to which was great but it did leave a lot of the responsibility of getting all the other stuff organised to me. Landed on Thurs hubby was at work by Mon! I was left in a central city motel with 2 kids and no transport for the 1st 2 weeks (hubby had rental to go to work). Never the less in 4 weeks we had bought a car, house,all the white goods, beds, sofa, linen and cutlery, plates etc to get us by till the container arrived. Not to mention sorted tax, mortgage, doctors, utilities supplies to the new house, schools etc. Accomodated a very lonley birthday for our 7yr old boy. If i had had a camera following me god knows what they would have seen ! :scared: My main memory is shouting at the kids to sit in absolute silence in the car whilst i tried to navigate my way out of the city in a new car (never driven a 4 x 4 before) with the map on my lap on my own. Trying to cook for 4 for 4 weeks on 2 hotplates! I would hate to think how much I shouted at my kids during those 4 weeks, but I also know that in those 4 weeks there were many times, mostly probably bedtime or early morning when the kids got into bed with me, when i talked to them properly, apologised for shouting at them, explained things and generally loved them and reassured them. Times I have no doubt that you also shared with your children. Our kids are comletely fine and bear no emotional scars from the experience, we even laugh about it now!

I wish your family all the best with your adventure, I'm sure it will be a success. Looking forward to seeing the program when my tape arrives.

Paula
Old May 14th 2003, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

sputnikspouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by parky43
Hi sputnikspouse, i am going into property investment. Basically i will be buying residential property and renting them. Also i am starting a property maintenance business, hopefully the 2 ventures will work well together.

Dean
sounds like an excelent venture but must have huge start up costs. r u rich?
Old May 14th 2003, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

Can I just say "me too" to Paula's post! It brought back memories of our first few weeks (especially the cooking bit). I'm sure I wouldn't have been shown in a very good light if I'd have been filmed.... (I too haven't seen the programme - my Mum is sending it to me "today"!)

So - all the best to Firing 1 & family from another Papamoa expat.

Nicola.

Originally posted by Watt Dabney
Hi Firing 1 and family,

have ben following this post with interest and am eagerly awaiting the tape in the post from my mum!

Julie- ignore all the rude people, they haven't got a clue till they have done it themselves. When we came over to NZ we didn't know anyone and had never been here before. Hubby had a job to go to which was great but it did leave a lot of the responsibility of getting all the other stuff organised to me. Landed on Thurs hubby was at work by Mon! I was left in a central city motel with 2 kids and no transport for the 1st 2 weeks (hubby had rental to go to work). Never the less in 4 weeks we had bought a car, house,all the white goods, beds, sofa, linen and cutlery, plates etc to get us by till the container arrived. Not to mention sorted tax, mortgage, doctors, utilities supplies to the new house, schools etc. Accomodated a very lonley birthday for our 7yr old boy. If i had had a camera following me god knows what they would have seen ! :scared: My main memory is shouting at the kids to sit in absolute silence in the car whilst i tried to navigate my way out of the city in a new car (never driven a 4 x 4 before) with the map on my lap on my own. Trying to cook for 4 for 4 weeks on 2 hotplates! I would hate to think how much I shouted at my kids during those 4 weeks, but I also know that in those 4 weeks there were many times, mostly probably bedtime or early morning when the kids got into bed with me, when i talked to them properly, apologised for shouting at them, explained things and generally loved them and reassured them. Times I have no doubt that you also shared with your children. Our kids are comletely fine and bear no emotional scars from the experience, we even laugh about it now!

I wish your family all the best with your adventure, I'm sure it will be a success. Looking forward to seeing the program when my tape arrives.

Paula
Old May 14th 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,
it's been a bit of a mad response to the show even here in tauranga. i had a booking today from a guy whose son had seen the show in england and phoned his dad (who lives here) to book us in!
the franchise owner has had 40 e mails so far from the uk asking about buying car care franchise's and a company here called priority one (they help business people who have relocated) have told immigration to be prepared for an increase in demand for business visa's.
there are a few big companies coming over to tauranga in the next few years from the uk and apparently they all got together to watch the show and e mailed priority one to say how good it was.
well we are completely in the dark as we haven't seen it yet but we have watched the other episodes (came in the post yesterday) and have got some idea of what to expect!
Old May 14th 2003, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

really deighted there has been an up-side from the programme for you. must have felt like a bad idea for a couple of days there thanks to unbelievable cruelty on this forum!! now all you need is for a house buyer to emerge from it!! hopefully that will happen soon!

best wishes once again!!

ps zoe is now my little girls hero, and watching her get settled into school so bravely has helped kathryn to picture what it will be like for her. - thank-you zoe!
Old May 14th 2003, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Companies going to Tauranga

[QUOTE]Originally posted by firing1
a company here called priority one (they help business people who have relocated) have told immigration to be prepared for an increase in demand for business visa's.
there are a few big companies coming over to tauranga in the next few years from the uk and apparently they all got together to watch the show and e mailed priority one to say how good it was.
]

Do you have anymore info on who, what, email address etc ??

Thanks
Old May 15th 2003, 12:55 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Default Re: Companies going to Tauranga

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scarlett G
Originally posted by firing1
a company here called priority one (they help business people who have relocated) have told immigration to be prepared for an increase in demand for business visa's.
]

Do you have anymore info on who, what, email address etc ??

Thanks
Scarlett,

here is the web address for Priority one.

http://www.priorityone.co.nz
Old May 15th 2003, 1:04 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Originally posted by cinderella
Scarlett,

here is the web address for Priority one.

http://www.priorityone.co.nz
This web site looks good as well.

http://www.tauranga.co.nz/
Old May 15th 2003, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point

Cinderella

Thanks for the website address,

Scarlett
Old May 15th 2003, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Priority One is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Verdice on BBC 2 Nz programme

Samantha,

If you are planning on moving to Tauranga New Zealand and are looking at starting or investing in a business I recommend you check out our website www.priorityone.co.nz.

Priority One works to attract businesses to the Tauranga region of New Zealand.

Bill
Old May 15th 2003, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Firing1 and family
I found the program really inspiring and taped it for my hubby to watch.
As to the negative comments-people will have their opinions regardless, which can be quite frustrating.
I got accused of suffocating my baby just because Id put a rain cover on her pram, as it was raining....um dolp! Some people may never get it.

Ian
I remember the lovely 1yr old stage, where the child never answers back, they sleep through the night, eat what you give them and are pretty much angelic.
Mine is 2 now and wow, lets see how you cope when that happens is all I can say.
Old May 15th 2003, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

highwinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Couldn't agree more mine is 3 now and is beginning to calm down a bit although he still has his moments. 1 year olds are easy peasy just need to carry more stuff around with you. But 2 year olds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck !
Old May 15th 2003, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by highwinger
Couldn't agree more mine is 3 now and is beginning to calm down a bit although he still has his moments. 1 year olds are easy peasy just need to carry more stuff around with you. But 2 year olds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck !
And 3 year olds, and 4 year olds, and ...
Old May 15th 2003, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

'lo Highwinger & Julie.
I think the relocators should have seriously considered a nanny for the week or so that you are on your own. Worth the cost if you get adult company, someone to distract the kids when you've had enough and take them for brief walks/movies etc, perhaps even share a little local knowledge.
Even if you had them come around say, a few hours in the morning and a few hours at night while you're getting dinner ready etc???
P'rhaps thats a potential franchise idea!

Julie, was going to ask, how are you finding the people there? We still dont know our neighbours in london and Im just wondering if that would change in say, nz or oz
Old May 16th 2003, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Cheese is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah good one, just what my kids would have wanted when we arrived here, not only to be taken to the other side of the world leaving all their friends behind, but here you go kids, Mum and Dad are going off for some quiet time so here's someone you've never met before to look after you!

Where were you when we were moving over here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.