Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Wikiposts

Verdict on BBC 2 Nz programme

Old May 17th 2003, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

pixie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by firing1
hi all,
just read the posts. i think julie was just about getting over the first slating and then she read this one and even though you try to ignore it, it does get to you especially as julie is very home sick at the moment.
anyway i'm ignoring any negative comments so on a more positive note. the car care franchise has recieved over forty five applications from the uk as a result of the show and i think i could sell the tauranga franchise for a healthy profit (i'm not going to yet though) and am considering selling some of my area.
our house still hasn't sold. useless uk estate agents completely to blame in my opinion.
i am working 7 days a week at the moment but with an average day being 9 - 4 with an hour or so for lunch i'm not complaining.
our copy of the program will arrive later this week so i'll be able to let you know my verdict on it in a few days time.
we had a great night out last night at the fender battle of the bands and met some people our age so all smiles today.
bye for now
Hello All,

I watched the programme and think anyone who can uplift their lives and move to the other side of the world in two weeks is probably a bit mad but certainly very brave.

This site is about those of us who wish to experience life in a new country I am sure many people reading these posts will be interested in your experiences and can learn from them. Ignore the negatives posts, start a new thread of your own just as you have done in life.

Wishing you all every happiness

Pixie
Old May 17th 2003, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

tracey710 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default julie and firing1

hi, i hope you can ignore all the bad things said on here. i am sure the majority of us realise how much stress you were under and that the edit of the programme can make a big difference to the finished product. i am sure we are all expecting homesickness to be part of the new package but i hope it all works out for you and you have a great life.hopefully heading to nz next year. tracey.
Old May 18th 2003, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

hutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the roughhutchy is a jewel in the rough

Hi JUlie &family.
Just to say I loved the program, especially when u were all saying goodbyes, brought a lump to me throat.I am off to melbourne and I know the leaving will be the hardest bit but better things will come..You were brave to do it in 2 weeks. WE have had around 16/18 months to prepare and now i am panicking. I cried when your girl left her friends as it brought back memories of when i left uk before. We went to live i n Portugal with hubbys job and it is very stressful but we knew it was only for 2 and a half yrs so this time it is more permanent.I am in Sunderland now, my home town and I know how hard it is to leave, so hang in there girl u r doin just fine. By the way your new house is fab.My kids did adjust and I did in time and it does help when family friends come to visit. I was on my own a lot and will be in Aus. Hubby is joining the ozzie Navy so could be posted anywhere, but my attitude is be friendly , dont be scared to ask for help and offer the same back to people, what goes around comes around and I made some great mates out in Portugal.Still in touch now.JUst a few words of comfort, hope it helps...
Melbourne bound 14 weeks...xxxxJan Hutchy
Old May 19th 2003, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all ,
we still haven't seen the show yet and i've been busy filling out my first nz tax returns. it's zoe's birthday soon and she's inviting a load of school friends round to our house and we are taking them to the hot pools. one good thing about being on this side of the world is my birthday (oct) is now in the summer. mind you i think the sun will probably be shining on zoe's day.
it's our 10th wedding anniversary as well and it will be weird having all these celebrations without family around.
things this end are generally better now the business is established but we are still missing something that we can't quite put our finger on (maybe it's the homesickness).
this is still early days and we feel more confident everyday that we can make a good life for ourselves over here.
sam's kiwi accent's coming on great although he hasn't said "sweet as" yet.
we bought a british newspaper on friday and it reminded us why we wanted to leave the uk and i still think nz is a better place to bring up kids. i am trying to talk zoe into getting a surfboard for her birthday but not having much luck!

bye for now.
Old May 19th 2003, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Hi Firing1,

I watched your programme and like many others on here thought it was the best one yet. It`s great hearing from you and how you`re all getting on but please don`t take to heart what the negative people say about you. We all do the same, you could get 100 people say they liked the show and one (yes just 1), say they don`t and who do we listen to the most??? It`s very brave what you and your family have done and I wish you all the success and happiness you deserve.

Best wishes
Loraine
Old May 19th 2003, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Scarlett G is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Firing 1 at the Hot Pools

Glad to hear things are settling down for you. Hope you have a fab day at The Hot Pools (don't get anything like that here!!!!), just looking at some photos of my boys birthday that we had ther...then looking out the window at the rain....aaahhhhh...where would I rather be??
Old May 20th 2003, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

hey we've finally seen the program.
we are quite pleased with the outcome but it's really funny knowing how they have edited it. overall i think they captured most of what went on and obviously made julie's cleaning into a bigger issue than it was. i mean what was the piece about no litter being our main reason for coming here (as if).
they didn't show us enjoying ourselves enough, we were filmed having surfing lessons and going out watching local bands etc.
we can get out of the rent to buy agreement if we wanted to so that isn't as much of a risk as they made out (we just lose the deposit)
i also don't need to clean 25 cars per week to break even. i average 2 to 3 per day.
we were worried that we might get more homesick watching the show but luckily it has had the opposite effect. i'm working in whakatane tomorrow and haven't been there before so it should be interesting.
if anybody has e mailed me and i haven't replied i will get round to it asap
bye for now.
Old May 20th 2003, 11:16 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

hey we've finally seen the program.
It has been good to hear your side of the program - the program left many questions over some of your decisions, and I did note the 5 cars a day to break even may have been hard to meet.

You have filled in the gaps that make your decisions, make sense.

I still find it annoying wiith the presenters the way they repeat to each other, a decision or event, that had been shown 2 minutes earlier with the given family.

Continue to enjoy yourself
Old May 21st 2003, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

thanks,
it's been raining here most of the week which can effect my work but most people here have big garage's so it's not too bad. whakatane looked nice sort of a seaside town (though not in the uk sense , although it was raining) fairly big as well. i'll take julie and the kids down there at some point. i could see white island (nz's most active volcano) and as usual the scenery is pretty stunning.
julie went to zoe's school open day today and took sam who joined in the class for half the day . i remember going to school open days back home and waiting around for ages to speak to the teacher for 10 mins.
anyway must dash "24" is on soon, i'm getting used to nz tv now.
Old May 21st 2003, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Loki is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Scary Woman

Originally posted by sally1968
Yes it was far more informative - but what about that woman!!!:scared: Both ny husband and I said we would have killed her by now! Or maybe we are just dirty blighters!! As for her poor kids- fancy having a mother like that!
We are moving to NZ in about 5 weeks time and were told to watch the programme by relatives and friends. I thought the program was great but she had serious issues - her main reason for moving "Its so clean" !!!! I agree with you I'd have thumped her, very scary woman:scared:
Old May 21st 2003, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

....anyway must dash "24" is on soon, i'm getting used to nz tv now.
You get '24'? I thought they were still on Dallas out there!

May as well tell you what happens........Soon after 06:00am Jack is found arming a 2nd nuclear bomb...Yes! It's him all along! He pulls off his mask & guess who it is? Yup, Kaiser Sozee!

No, but if you're interested I can let you know where to download future episodes. We're a bit impatient, we're on episode 23 of series 2. Might be useful for other things aswell though, films & music etc...

Glad all is going well, keep the updates coming,

Cheers, Gra...
Old May 21st 2003, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Scary Woman

Originally posted by Loki
We are moving to NZ in about 5 weeks time and were told to watch the programme by relatives and friends. I thought the program was great but she had serious issues - her main reason for moving "Its so clean" !!!! I agree with you I'd have thumped her, very scary woman:scared:

......take the time to read Firing 1's comments.
Old May 21st 2003, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Gra.B

......take the time to read Firing 1's comments.
See? You can't believe everything you see on the telly!
Old May 21st 2003, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Loki
Loki, assuming that you have actually read the whole thread, instead of just leaping in, you look to be far more scary to me than Julie is. Do you often go around thumping people at the smallest provocation? NZ doesn't need people like that.
Old May 21st 2003, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

Loki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sofistek
Loki, assuming that you have actually read the whole thread, instead of just leaping in, you look to be far more scary to me than Julie is. Do you often go around thumping people at the smallest provocation? NZ doesn't need people like that.

Sorry to have offended you but I was merely professing my own opinion on the BBC programme. And no I do not in general go around thumping people - it was obviously not meant literally! But I do believe sometimes people need a reminder that this is their life and rather than moan about it they should get on and live it and if there are problems then sort them. If you can't sort the problem move on. Life really is too short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.