Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney VS Melbourne

Sydney VS Melbourne

Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

Definately Melbourne, we are known as the classy sister to brassy Sydney.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

For me Ive had two years of the quiet life in Adelaide! its what I want to get away from!

I like brassy!!

Last edited by pompeyblonde; Mar 29th 2008 at 4:07 am. Reason: adding a bit!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Funny.

I moved to Melbourne because I'm into those activities, and although Sydney has those activities too, I think they are more accessible in Melbourne as living near the beach, for instance, is more affordable in Melbourne.

Buzzy
And we don't have Sydney's awful humidity!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Nice to hear that you are happy in Melbourne. I just can't make up my mind where to head for. Sometimes Melbourne, sometimes I think Sydney will be a better option.

Every place has its pros and cons. By the way... how is Melbourne for the IT people. I mean computer professionals?

What do you say Shakmaty?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Nowhere is perfect and some suit one place better than the other. I reckon I could live in either place, but I'm settled in Melbourne and very happy here
Old Sep 21st 2008, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Having had the experience of working and living in Sydney and working and living in Melbourne, Melbourne every time. Weather is better in Melbourne not so humid. Streets are wider and easier to get around. No need to join clubs as the pub and bar scene is very good. Does not rain as much in Melbourne.
Not so expensive to rent and buy in Melbourne and better property for the buck.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:22 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by live2learn
Nice to hear that you are happy in Melbourne. I just can't make up my mind where to head for. Sometimes Melbourne, sometimes I think Sydney will be a better option.

Every place has its pros and cons. By the way... how is Melbourne for the IT people. I mean computer professionals?

What do you say Shakmaty?

Thanks!
No idea about IT, buzzybee among others, will know more about that. For sure, though, a good job would probably be high on the list of factors that affect your happiness in a place, at least to start with. Financial insecurity is one stress that most people could do without in a new country.
Old Sep 21st 2008, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Born in country NSW, lived in Sydney on two different occasions for 2 & 3 yrs at a time. Lived in Melbourne now since 97, with a 3yr break down at Queenscliff, now the family are living in Melbourne (while I am working O/S) and we love it.

For us, Melbourne has more bang for your buck, better public transport, great cosmopolitan city life....better restaurants and...better COFFEE.

To me, Melbourne has more 'soul'...something undefinable...but 'something' nonetheless.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:45 pm
An Irish navvy

38141 is a jewel in the rough38141 is a jewel in the rough38141 is a jewel in the rough38141 is a jewel in the rough

Just wondering today, do you have the same gang culture at the surf spots around melbourne as you do in sydney?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice

Hey Petals, looks like you are in love with Melbourne, thats good but how about abundance of jobs in IT field compared to Sydney.

Is there a huge difference or not much really. Also one more quick question... how much roughly is one bedroom/week rent in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by Petals
Having had the experience of working and living in Sydney and working and living in Melbourne, Melbourne every time. Weather is better in Melbourne not so humid. Streets are wider and easier to get around. No need to join clubs as the pub and bar scene is very good. Does not rain as much in Melbourne.
Not so expensive to rent and buy in Melbourne and better property for the buck.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

Hello everyone!

I guess, Sydney is better but a bit more expensive than Melbourne. Now, Melbourne has its own charm too!

I just wanna know which place is the best and most suitable for the new immigrants when they arrive in Australia?

Also, how easy is it to get a job or housing in both the cities?

What about the weather and the cost of living etc. in both the cities?

Any input (big or small) from everyone will be greatly help everyone on this forum.

Please have your say!

Thank you!
Personally I moved to Sydney having visited neither and I love Sydney. I found it easy to navigate and the public transport is great after living in the Middle East where there is none, and it's not too extortionate either. I am happy with it and I have no car. I take it everywhere with a small child and I live in the North Shore. I find it great for families, housing I found that there is something in every price bracket just depends on what you want and where really. Tjis can range from cheaper to $$$$$$ untold... I found everyone very welcoming, and friendly, the weather however is very changeable, rain, thunder, sun and humidity in one day....very weird...not sure if it's typical.
That said I cannot wait to visit Melbourne, I have heard it's also great, cheaper than Sydney but to be honest I am not certain there is a better between the two cities it just depends on your needs and wants...but seeing as I haven't visited the two I can't really comment, I just say I LOVE SYdney..
Not sure that helped but another answer nonetheless...

Edited to add I visited loads of rentals in one day (a Thursday I think) and I found around 4 that I liked, had no problem with getting one but I have heard other people have had a hard time..cost of living do a search it's more expensive than you think just overestimate everything and then see if you can afford it...

Last edited by plantpot; Jan 11th 2009 at 8:11 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Is there a huge difference or not much really. Also one more quick question... how much roughly is one bedroom/week rent in Melbourne?
Sorry but that's like someone asking how much is a 1bedder in London! Melbourne and Sydney are both large cities, with diversity of suburbs, prices and types of dwellings. Try to narrow it down to at least a region of the city and you'll probably have better luck.
Also check out the advertised rentals on sites like www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au
Best of luck
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:27 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 38141
Just wondering today, do you have the same gang culture at the surf spots around melbourne as you do in sydney?
Of course there is

Riptide V Billabong

Melbourne was built on migrants over 100 years and therefore acceptance and moreso enjoyment of other cultures make Melbourne a far different environment than Sydney.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Melbourne was built on migrants over 100 years and therefore acceptance and moreso enjoyment of other cultures
This I find to be very true.

I have just returned from 2.5 weeks in New Zealand and experiences more "anti-pommie jibes" in those 2.5 weeks than in the previous 18 months in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Have been in Sydney for 4 months and live in Northern Beaches area- it is great here. I have not been to Melbourne but OH has and got very wet and cold. Sydney is definitely warmer, though a little more humid at times, but nothing like as bad as we were told IMHO. There have only been two days when I wanted the air con on- only to find it wasn't working! (NVM just jumped in the pool instead)
OH is in IT here on a decent salary. Housing is expensive in our area, a bit like a leafy home counties suburb, but the schools are good, people friendly and helpful, and transport links also good. Not sure how the jobs market is for IT in the current state of things.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Have been in Sydney for 4 months and live in Northern Beaches area- it is great here. I have not been to Melbourne but OH has and got very wet and cold. Sydney is definitely warmer, though a little more humid at times, but nothing like as bad as we were told IMHO. There have only been two days when I wanted the air con on- only to find it wasn't working! (NVM just jumped in the pool instead)
OH is in IT here on a decent salary. Housing is expensive in our area, a bit like a leafy home counties suburb, but the schools are good, people friendly and helpful, and transport links also good. Not sure how the jobs market is for IT in the current state of things.
Melbourne last year was 1oC cooler than Sydney in summer and 3oC cooler in winter (average max temps). Melbourne also got almost 30% less rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.