Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney VS Melbourne

Sydney VS Melbourne

Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

live2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nicelive2learn is just really nice
Default Sydney VS Melbourne

Hello everyone!

I guess, Sydney is better but a bit more expensive than Melbourne. Now, Melbourne has its own charm too!

I just wanna know which place is the best and most suitable for the new immigrants when they arrive in Australia?

Also, how easy is it to get a job or housing in both the cities?

What about the weather and the cost of living etc. in both the cities?

Any input (big or small) from everyone will be greatly help everyone on this forum.

Please have your say!

Thank you!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:12 pm
Oh, George.....

Irish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to allIrish Gal is a name known to all
Default Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

We're heading for Melbourne because it has all the advantages of a big city - but within 30 mins of the CBD feels like you are in the countryside. In my opinion, Melbourne seems a bit more family-friendly so I guess its what you are looking for.
Irish Gal
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Potato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to beholdPotato_potato is a splendid one to behold

Neither. That's why they're all moving up here.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:13 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

1500 people a week move to Melbourne.

20% of all people in Sydney would like to move away from Sydney.

While these statistics are not exactly comparable they have both been featured in the Australian press recently.

Buzzy
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:22 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live2learn
Hello everyone!

I guess, Sydney is better but a bit more expensive than Melbourne. Now, Melbourne has its own charm too!

I just wanna know which place is the best and most suitable for the new immigrants when they arrive in Australia?

Also, how easy is it to get a job or housing in both the cities?

What about the weather and the cost of living etc. in both the cities?

Any input (big or small) from everyone will be greatly help everyone on this forum.

Please have your say!

Thank you!
If you think Sydney is better then surely you should go there.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
1500 people a week move to Melbourne.

20% of all people in Sydney would like to move away from Sydney.

While these statistics are not exactly comparable they have both been featured in the Australian press recently.

Buzzy
Is that because NSW, are telling the truth, were as SA dont like to let there statistics known, Just in case nobody comes,
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by milly123
Is that because NSW, are telling the truth, were as SA dont like to let there statistics known, Just in case nobody comes,
What's SA got to do with it?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
What's SA got to do with it?
Just a joke,
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by milly123
Just a joke,
Ah! The bit about NSW telling the truth was funny

Still not sure about the SA part
Old Mar 24th 2008, 9:59 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I lived in Sydney for 2 years and Melbourne for a few months.

Only limited experience of Melbourne but loved it apart from the weather. Sydney felt like a mean city to me. I look back and don't have alot of great vibes, but then again, that could just be my experiences there.

I was in Sydney a few years back for about 6 hours and loved it. Great harbour and all. Lovely zoo too.

Melbourne you could be in a bush market within a 30 minute drive and felt like country and trees surrounded you. Northern Sydney stills felt like that but the rest feels like miles and miles of buidlings.

Culture and nightlife is nice in Melbourne - Sydney was a bit....more....can't think of the word, but more druggies and clubbing and such. Great for young people.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:05 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Irish Gal
We're heading for Melbourne because it has all the advantages of a big city - but within 30 mins of the CBD feels like you are in the countryside.
It IS a big city :-)

Melb has 3.8 million people, Sydney has 4.2 mill.
Not a huge relative difference. And with Melbournes current growth, it is set to overtake Sydney in size in the next 20 years (I would prefer that not to be the case !)

So, don't head to Melbourne if you think it is more of a village atmosphere compared to Sydney ;-)
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

And don't head for SA if you want to go to Melbourne
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:27 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by live2learn
Hello everyone!

I say go to Sydney !
We are trying to keep the population in Melbourne from expanding any further and ending up with all of Sydneys problems you see :-)
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

I say visit both poss in a rental then if you don't like the first one you could always go with the other. Personally we're off to Sydney but 70 mile south of the CBD. All major cities have their own problems, but your life is what you make of it, happiness is not always about where you are geographically. Follow your instincts
Old Mar 25th 2008, 5:28 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

If you are like me then you go by instincts when you see a place.

Sydney "feels" like it is trying to be American
Melbourne "feels" like its trying to be European

I love going up to Sydney for a weekend or a short stay, but i couldn't live there for any great length of time.
whereas Melbourne fits me better and feels more like an amalgam of various European Cities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.