British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Sydney VS Melbourne (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/sydney-vs-melbourne-524050/)

live2learn Mar 24th 2008 2:36 pm

Sydney VS Melbourne

Hello everyone!

I guess, Sydney is better but a bit more expensive than Melbourne. Now, Melbourne has its own charm too! :)

I just wanna know which place is the best and most suitable for the new immigrants when they arrive in Australia?

Also, how easy is it to get a job or housing in both the cities?

What about the weather and the cost of living etc. in both the cities?

Any input (big or small) from everyone will be greatly help everyone on this forum.

Please have your say! :D

Thank you!

Irish Gal Mar 24th 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

We're heading for Melbourne because it has all the advantages of a big city - but within 30 mins of the CBD feels like you are in the countryside. In my opinion, Melbourne seems a bit more family-friendly so I guess its what you are looking for.
Irish Gal :)

Potato_potato Mar 24th 2008 9:08 pm

Neither. That's why they're all moving up here.

Buzzy--Bee Mar 24th 2008 9:13 pm

1500 people a week move to Melbourne.

20% of all people in Sydney would like to move away from Sydney.

While these statistics are not exactly comparable they have both been featured in the Australian press recently.

Buzzy

MartinLuther Mar 24th 2008 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by live2learn (Post 6104402)
Hello everyone!

I guess, Sydney is better but a bit more expensive than Melbourne. Now, Melbourne has its own charm too! :)

I just wanna know which place is the best and most suitable for the new immigrants when they arrive in Australia?

Also, how easy is it to get a job or housing in both the cities?

What about the weather and the cost of living etc. in both the cities?

Any input (big or small) from everyone will be greatly help everyone on this forum.

Please have your say! :D

Thank you!

If you think Sydney is better then surely you should go there. :unsure:

milly123 Mar 24th 2008 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 6105760)
1500 people a week move to Melbourne.

20% of all people in Sydney would like to move away from Sydney.

While these statistics are not exactly comparable they have both been featured in the Australian press recently.

Buzzy

Is that because NSW, are telling the truth, were as SA dont like to let there statistics known, Just in case nobody comes,:D

MartinLuther Mar 24th 2008 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by milly123 (Post 6105803)
Is that because NSW, are telling the truth, were as SA dont like to let there statistics known, Just in case nobody comes,:D

What's SA got to do with it? :confused:;):D

milly123 Mar 24th 2008 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther (Post 6105851)
What's SA got to do with it? :confused:;):D

Just a joke,:D

MartinLuther Mar 24th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by milly123 (Post 6105894)
Just a joke,:D

Ah! The bit about NSW telling the truth was funny :lol:

Still not sure about the SA part :confused:

Wheeler-Jones Mar 24th 2008 9:59 pm

I lived in Sydney for 2 years and Melbourne for a few months.

Only limited experience of Melbourne but loved it apart from the weather. Sydney felt like a mean city to me. I look back and don't have alot of great vibes, but then again, that could just be my experiences there.

I was in Sydney a few years back for about 6 hours and loved it. Great harbour and all. Lovely zoo too.

Melbourne you could be in a bush market within a 30 minute drive and felt like country and trees surrounded you. Northern Sydney stills felt like that but the rest feels like miles and miles of buidlings.

Culture and nightlife is nice in Melbourne - Sydney was a bit....more....can't think of the word, but more druggies and clubbing and such. Great for young people.

@boy Mar 24th 2008 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Irish Gal (Post 6104555)
We're heading for Melbourne because it has all the advantages of a big city - but within 30 mins of the CBD feels like you are in the countryside.

It IS a big city :-)

Melb has 3.8 million people, Sydney has 4.2 mill.
Not a huge relative difference. And with Melbournes current growth, it is set to overtake Sydney in size in the next 20 years (I would prefer that not to be the case !)

So, don't head to Melbourne if you think it is more of a village atmosphere compared to Sydney ;-)

MartinLuther Mar 24th 2008 10:08 pm

And don't head for SA if you want to go to Melbourne ;):lol:

@boy Mar 24th 2008 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by live2learn (Post 6104402)
Hello everyone!

I say go to Sydney !
We are trying to keep the population in Melbourne from expanding any further and ending up with all of Sydneys problems you see :-)

vickys Mar 24th 2008 10:59 pm

I say visit both poss in a rental then if you don't like the first one you could always go with the other. Personally we're off to Sydney but 70 mile south of the CBD. All major cities have their own problems, but your life is what you make of it, happiness is not always about where you are geographically. Follow your instincts:)

derab Mar 25th 2008 5:28 am

If you are like me then you go by instincts when you see a place.

Sydney "feels" like it is trying to be American
Melbourne "feels" like its trying to be European

I love going up to Sydney for a weekend or a short stay, but i couldn't live there for any great length of time.
whereas Melbourne fits me better and feels more like an amalgam of various European Cities.