Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sydney VS Melbourne

Sydney VS Melbourne

Old Mar 25th 2008, 12:39 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

Originally Posted by derab
If you are like me then you go by instincts when you see a place.

Sydney "feels" like it is trying to be American
Melbourne "feels" like its trying to be European

I love going up to Sydney for a weekend or a short stay, but i couldn't live there for any great length of time.
whereas Melbourne fits me better and feels more like an amalgam of various European Cities.
Completely agree - you have managed to put into such a short sentence what I had to say in a paragraph!! Kudos
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Those of you in Sydney, why do you prefer it? Those of you in melbourne does the weather get on your nerves??!

Im drawn to sydney but realise its a big city with all the associated stuff, Melbourne doesn't feel the same.... mmmm decisions decisions!!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Those of you in melbourne does the weather get on your nerves??!
Why would sunshine every day and no humidity get on my nerves? I love the weather in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:19 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Those of you in Sydney, why do you prefer it? Those of you in melbourne does the weather get on your nerves??!

Im drawn to sydney but realise its a big city with all the associated stuff, Melbourne doesn't feel the same.... mmmm decisions decisions!!
From personal experience I've found the weather to be better in Melbourne than Sydney so it doesn't get on my nerves. Not sure why it would?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I guess when Ive been there has been rain and a bit of cloud, but then Im in Adelaide so we don't get much of either.....

Been to Sydney a couple of times and have never found it to be cold....

Having said all that 2 weeks of over 35 is taking the p**ss here, so I guess weather ain't everything.........

I just wondered if people in Melbourne found it too changeable, but obviously not............
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:45 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess when Ive been there has been rain and a bit of cloud, but then Im in Adelaide so we don't get much of either.....

Been to Sydney a couple of times and have never found it to be cold....

Having said all that 2 weeks of over 35 is taking the p**ss here, so I guess weather ain't everything.........

I just wondered if people in Melbourne found it too changeable, but obviously not............
I guess it's horses for courses. I've not been to Adelaide but that long hot spell you had recently would have got on my nerves. We had a string of 6 or 7 hot days here recently and it was starting to get to me. The good thing about hot weather in Melly is that hot usually comes with low humidity so you can sit in the shade on a high 30s day and feel comfortable. I found the high humidity in Sydney uncomfortable (sweating in the high 20s) and many of the days were dull and overcast (but still warm and sweaty).

I like the changeability of Melly. It often means sunny afternoons after a dull start and cool evenings after a hot day. Not all changes are for the worse.

Having said all that today is rather cool, dull and rainy
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:04 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Nowhere is perfect and some suit one place better than the other. I reckon I could live in either place, but I'm settled in Melbourne and very happy here
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:08 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

As you're in Adelaide remember that our weather patterns are pretty similar with you being a few degrees higher on average. I have no probs with the weather here. I do have a problem with the humidity and constant heat which is why Qld wouldn't be too good for me. I reckon I could cope with Sydney weathwise
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, the really hot times are hard here, but the winters would be ok with decent heating... guess the main thing is getting a decent job etc....!
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Sydney both attracts and repels me. I love it the way that I love London and Hong Kong for their vibrancy. I hate it because of the crowds and the traffic jams but I could not live anywhere else. Well, I could because I've been living in England for twelve years. I love village life and that's one thing you'll find hard to find anywhere in Australia where it's either big cities or small towns. Perhaps someone will prove me wrong?

I've been trying to think of the Aussie playwright - David Williamson - that's it? He did 'Don's Party' and 'The Club' (brilliant introduction to Melbourne's fixation with AFL.) He also did one about the differences between Melbourne and Sydney - The Emerald City??? They've all been filmed too so get them out on video. I'm sure Nicole Kidman is in Emerald City?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 3:47 am
Just Joined

charliegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Everytime someone asks which is better Sydney or Melbourne it opens up a huge debate.

I find it funny really because both cities are very different. If you are into warm weather, being outdoors, beaches, big pubs, clubbing, and like a busy city then go to Sydney.
If you are more interested in the arts, sports, small bars, reading books, and cheaper rent, go to Melbourne.

I lived in Melbourne, now live in Sydney and find both cities great for very different reasons.

You could get a heads up on where to live with www.cityhobo.com

We used it when we decided to move to Sydney and it's now got a few Melbourne suburbs up. In fact, it would have been good if the Melbourne suburbs were up when we were there a couple of years ago. Good luck. It's not easy trying to work out where to live.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Thats a great link! thanks for that....I may have to come over to Sydney on a mini reccie and will hopefully meet siome of you sydneysiders for a beverage...
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:33 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Sydney VS Melbourne

Originally Posted by charliegirl
If you are into warm weather, being outdoors, beaches,............then go to Sydney
Funny.

I moved to Melbourne because I'm into those activities, and although Sydney has those activities too, I think they are more accessible in Melbourne as living near the beach, for instance, is more affordable in Melbourne.

Buzzy
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saveme
Sydney both attracts and repels me. I love it the way that I love London and Hong Kong for their vibrancy. I hate it because of the crowds and the traffic jams but I could not live anywhere else. Well, I could because I've been living in England for twelve years. I love village life and that's one thing you'll find hard to find anywhere in Australia where it's either big cities or small towns. Perhaps someone will prove me wrong?

I've been trying to think of the Aussie playwright - David Williamson - that's it? He did 'Don's Party' and 'The Club' (brilliant introduction to Melbourne's fixation with AFL.) He also did one about the differences between Melbourne and Sydney - The Emerald City??? They've all been filmed too so get them out on video. I'm sure Nicole Kidman is in Emerald City?
What you'll get is a satirical view of 1970's Melbourne from Williamson's plays. Collingwood Football Club might still be partly as Williamson depicted it in 'The Club' but Melbourne of 2008 and Melbourne of 1977 are like chalk and cheese. Worth watching mind you but won't tell you much about the Melbourne of today.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of

Just to throw something else into this debate, why not move to one of the suburbs of Sydney. Far enough away to enjoy the beaches, mountains and the quieter side of things but also close enough to enjoy the big city aspects too???

Sorry, have to ask as this thread really interests me too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.