Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Melbourne thread

The Melbourne thread

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:55 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Melbourne thread

Originally Posted by The howellers
Hi!
If you are already in Melbourne would you say thats about right? ive heard its an old reputation, and they are putting lots of money in as the new highway going in will half comuting time?
property mag suggested its the place to buy as it will increase in the near future?
Thanks, Tracey.
Lots are moving to Frankston. I like it and think it will come up. Slight Skegness feel about it but really it is going to posh up very quickly.

If you are both going to work in the CBD I would say that the commute might get you down eventually especially if you are balancing childcare at the start and end of each day.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by busterboy
Lots are moving to Frankston. I like it and think it will come up. Slight Skegness feel about it but really it is going to posh up very quickly.

If you are both going to work in the CBD I would say that the commute might get you down eventually especially if you are balancing childcare at the start and end of each day.
Thanks for that!
I plan to work local once i find child care, and hubby plans o work where he can get a job, although hopefully not too far (he is in graphic pree press)
have given ourselves 4 weeks to find somewhere we like (like the sound of ferntree gully, patterson lakes, and mount eliza?)
Tracey.x
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

freckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nicefreckles1970 is just really nice

£1600 (about $3600) for a months accomodation...that seems a lot is that normal??
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

Hi! We will be landing in melbourne 14th jan! Flights and accommodation booked for the first 4 weeks.staying in Frankston south. Where you headed?
Tracey.x
Is it hard to organise accommodation for the first few weeks from the UK or Ireland. Is it rental that you have organised? Or a hotel?

EDIT: Yeah! $3600 is a lot!!!! Is it a palace?

Last edited by soulrebel; Sep 23rd 2007 at 11:42 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:44 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Level one....row H, aisle 1 seats 63 and 64

Amazing game, great atmosphere, and the best team won
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:45 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Apparently North frankston is a bit rough but South frankston is lovely.
Good word, that
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 11:57 am
Take it easy

Hi!
If you are already in Melbourne would you say thats about right? ive heard its an old reputation, and they are putting lots of money in as the new highway going in will half comuting time?
property mag suggested its the place to buy as it will increase in the near future?
Thanks, Tracey.
The new highway goes from Frankston to Ringwood, so I'm not sure if it will half commuting times to the CBD, but certainly it will make travelling from Frankston to the Eastern suburbs easier. And yep, Frankston can be a bit rough. Perhaps investment will improve it in the future, but then again....
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

The howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant futureThe howellers has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by soulrebel
Is it hard to organise accommodation for the first few weeks from the UK or Ireland. Is it rental that you have organised? Or a hotel?

EDIT: Yeah! $3600 is a lot!!!! Is it a palace?
just done my sums... its $3360 to be precise!that seems quite reasonable for melbourne terms for a short term rentalcompared to a 2 bed serviced appartment which is more. this is a 3 bed furnished bungalow 10 min walk from the beach, and the british couple that own it sound lovely (but bloody hell! it is a lot of dosh!!!!)x
Old Sep 24th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Is it hard to organise accommodation for the first few weeks from the UK or Ireland.
We have organised 4 weeks temp accommodation from when we arrive on December 10th (OMFG thats only 12 weeks away ). No problem orgnising from this end (also in Ireland)/.

just done my sums... its $3360 to be precise!that seems quite reasonable for Melbourne terms for a short term rentalcompared to a 2 bed serviced appartment which is more. this is a 3 bed furnished bungalow 10 min walk from the beach, and the british couple that own it sound lovely (but bloody hell! it is a lot of dosh!!!!)x
I think we maybe renting the same place (Mornington area?). If so we promise not to wreck the place before you arrive See from your thread you arrive in Melbourne Jan14, we arrive Dec 10th.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gidxg03
We have organised 4 weeks temp accommodation from when we arrive on December 10th (OMFG thats only 12 weeks away ). No problem orgnising from this end (also in Ireland)/.

I think we maybe renting the same place (Mornington area?). If so we promise not to wreck the place before you arrive See from your thread you arrive in Melbourne Jan14, we arrive Dec 10th.
That would be a coincidence!! The owners are kath and andy? Frankston south? And yeah! would be great if you dont wreck it! and a few bottles of wine, crates of beer etc in the fridge would be good too!(well, i can try eh?!)Tracey.x
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

soulrebel will become famous soon enoughsoulrebel will become famous soon enough

That would be a coincidence!! The owners are kath and andy? Frankston south? And yeah! would be great if you dont wreck it! and a few bottles of wine, crates of beer etc in the fridge would be good too!(well, i can try eh?!)Tracey.x
Hey guys was this/these place(s) recommended or did you just find it somewhere on the net? Can you pm me the details. Thanks.
p.s where in Ireland are you gidxg03 ?
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:41 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hey guys was this/these place(s) recommended or did you just find it somewhere on the net? Can you pm me the details. Thanks.
Andy & Kaths accomodation can be found here.

http://www.accommodate-oz.com.au/

They are a lovely couple so don't hesitate to drop them an e mail if you have any queries.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Yep that's the one. No way my wife would leave any wine I'm afraid

Hi Soul. Were from Galway. I read many great reviews about Andy and Kaths place (and about how helpful they were too).

Originally Posted by Bordy
Andy & Kaths accomodation can be found here.

http://www.accommodate-oz.com.au/

They are a lovely couple so don't hesitate to drop them an e mail if you have any queries.
Yep thats the one.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks bordy
Must have a look over on britvics, saw a thread on accommodation there too.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks bordy
Must have a look over on britvics, saw a thread on accommodation there too.
Where are you located in Ireland and when are you heading to Oz?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.