Escape from Oz

Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by kporte
You have good reason to be proud of your country. It was not formed easily and the grit and determination that made it happen is alive and well in the USA today.
Many people that accuse Americans of being insular, have travelled far and wide without really knowing their own country, which is tiny in relation. Sure there are insular and thick yanks but Britain and every country across the globe has the equivalent. Just tell them to f**k off, it's all these folk understand.
That's true. It's quite embarrassing to be told by a lot of people I seem to know more about England than they do!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:08 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
If you guys killed the A Place in the Sun crap and anything related to that, I think you'd have far less moving out. That's my reasoning behind your, not realizing the things they'd miss about the UK before moving out.
Not sure I agree. We had the 'I'm Backing Britain' campaign in the 70s and people were proud to show their feelings towards the country and it's people. That peetered out and suddenly it became very fashionable to negate everything Britain does well, schools stopped teaching how the empire came about and what good was done by Brits abroad and other brilliant historical aspects of British life.

I honestly think the slide started when we joined the EU, suddenly we were part of a bigger picture and we were almost brainwashed into thinking that Britain was a piddly little bit of Europe and nothing to shout about. France had better food apparently, Italy had better men (sounds daft but that's what we were led to believe), etc etc. All Britain had was a few historical buildings and some pretty countryside. Successive governments have pushed this belief further and further and as a result I think these daft programmes found a niche and they have simply reinforced the previous belief.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Not at all. I used to like the guy, and I voted for him, but I regretted making that vote. I think he has about as much integrity as Brown and Blair. His popularity is down to under 50% now, so a majority of Americans think he's ineffective as president.

I don't know what it is but it seems like from what my gf tells me with all these magazines and TV shows about life in Florida, Spain, and Australia, it seems the fashionable thing to bash the UK and move abroad. Seriously, more than 1 million Brits live abroad and for a country of 60 million, that's a ridiculously high number. I don't even know if we have that many Americans living abroad. If you guys killed the A Place in the Sun crap and anything related to that, I think you'd have far less moving out. That's my reasoning behind your, not realizing the things they'd miss about the UK before moving out.

Wu chu sayin' son?

That's why I'm proud to be an American. I consider myself to live in a fruitful nation and having things that many people envy, like a warm country with lots of space for a nice house not attached to another. I've gotten into a boxing match on here before about patriotism over in the USA forum and I've been accused by all the Brits over there that I'm a thick insular American. No I think if I manage to visit other countries, that I'd learn to appreciate my own more. And according to a lot of testimony from people I've talked to over the years, both online and immigrants in my town, that I have good reason to be proud of being American. Life's too short to be always feel like you live in a bad country.
Actually it is well over 5million. Australia alone has 1.3million.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:55 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by mono
What?!

Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:35 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MDawson
Is there anyone else out there who as recently returned to the UK from Australia, I didn't really like it there , not due to the weather , mainly due to the general attitude to the English by the Australians and the Australian media.

Don't get me wrong not all Aussies have problems with the English , but most appear to look down at the English .

They tend to have a very negative view about my fellow countrymen, all based on the past ?? some Aussies seem to have a two hundred year old memory .

You know, the most common complaint from Australians living in England is that the English look down on them.

It has nothing much to do with history – a great many Australians are either not Anglo-Saxon or have a mix of Anglo-Saxon and other cultures. I have no English blood in me, and couldn’t care less about being part of the ‘Empire’. To a lot of Australians British colonialism means absolutely nothing.

I think this is just something that happens both ways. As an Australian who lived in England for a long time, having English sporting victories rammed down my throat, and being called a 'convict' got really infuriating after about the 1000000th time.

Australians are far from perfect – I can’t stand the country a lot of the time, and the arrogance is growing with each generation – but any jokes about ‘Poms’ are generally in jest, and seeing as Australia is a country of immigrants, do not make the mistake of thinking you are alone in any negative attitudes. My family, for example were excluded from schools and forced to change their names when they moved out here, as being ‘New Australians’ (read, unwelcome European immigrants, much the way the UK does not welcome Eastern Europeans today) was the worst thing they could be.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 9:38 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
Australians are far from perfect – I can’t stand the country a lot of the time, and the arrogance is growing with each generation .
Indeed

Totally agree with this statement
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:02 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SNH
My family, for example were excluded from schools and forced to change their names when they moved out here,
Pull the other one, it plays jingle bells.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:42 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Pull the other one, it plays jingle bells.
Pull which one though..3 to choose from.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:53 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
...sometimes there are only 2
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:54 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Pull the wrong one and get a smack in der maarf.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
...sometimes there are only 2
i prefer to pull the latter.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
Actually it is well over 5million. Australia alone has 1.3million.
5 million Brits. That's a staggering number
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:18 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

5 million Brits. That's a staggering number
6.6 million Americans living abroad. That's obviously a lot less as a percentage of the home resident population, but still a lot more than I expected given how much people go on about Americans never travelling.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/lis..._country.shtml
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:28 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't understand why Brits don't big up the UK. I don't understand the supposed embarrassment. Why is it considered better to put the country down at all times? I have been asked more than once why Britons don't appreciate their country. I have no answer. I've always considered the country to be wonderful, with a few problems, but in the main they are very few and far between.

The only people you hear being proud of Britain are a small group of people like me, kporte etc and those Expats who realised that the country they migrated too just didn't match up to the UK in any way. Why didn't they realise that before they moved?
I love the UK and its inhabitants. I love its history, I love its multiculturalism, I love its telly and its music, I love its gritty realism (well, it has a gritty realism in the parts I lived in) and its self deprecating humour. I love the countryside and the sheer breathtaking beauty of its views. We didn't leave the UK because we hated it, we left because I'm sure we have gypsy blood and wanted to experience life Down Under.

Some don't seem to understand that you can come to Australia and love it here too, without the need to run down the UK at the same time. Sometimes I read posts on here and thank God that my experience of Australia has been a thousand times better than theirs. Like you, MP, I haven't been denigrated in any way for being British - its been an irrelevancy.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I love the UK and its inhabitants. I love its history, I love its multiculturalism, I love its telly and its music, I love its gritty realism (well, it has a gritty realism in the parts I lived in) and its self deprecating humour. I love the countryside and the sheer breathtaking beauty of its views. We didn't leave the UK because we hated it, we left because I'm sure we have gypsy blood and wanted to experience life Down Under.

Some don't seem to understand that you can come to Australia and love it here too, without the need to run down the UK at the same time. Sometimes I read posts on here and thank God that my experience of Australia has been a thousand times better than theirs. Like you, MP, I haven't been denigrated in any way for being British - its been an irrelevancy.
totally agree with you, its not all bad down under.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.