Escape from Oz

Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by mono
They are often quite xenophobic (perhaps a by-product of their isolation) and they are quite tunnel-visioned in terms of thinking Australia is the best place in the world. They rival the Americans for that kind of thing.
It's now very apparent that Aussies are insular and arrogant , sounds like Nazi Germany just before the war ? bit of a worry.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:03 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MDawson
It's now very apparent that Aussies are insular and arrogant , sounds like Nazi Germany just before the war ? bit of a worry.
Yes, clearly the same
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Escape from Oz

Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:27 am
Banned

musicalman is an unknown quantity at this point

Relax guys, its just one of common problems of every multicultural societies around the world like US, Canada, UK.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Why do I get this overwhelming feeling of Déjà vu?

Our little friend is back it seems, and on form too!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:43 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Why do I get this overwhelming feeling of Déjà vu?

Our little friend is back it seems, and on form too!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:45 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDawson
Avoid the showers.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dave99
I havent oppressed or bullied any nations, nor have I ever rampaged accross resorts, theres a lot of things in history I never did that I dont think an aussie should treat me as a second class citizen for.
Do you think you should be held responsible for something you read in the news even though you had no involvement.
I dont catch your drift
Best for people not to generalise a whole nationality then I suppose...

Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

biggest problem ive had from the aussies is them being to helpfull
had no issues at all, only people ive met who arnt happy are the brits who dont like it here, beats me why you would stay if your not happy, anyway ive had the piss taken out of me at work and ive dished it out, had no problems at all.
john
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:08 am
Fighting my corner

Wink Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Avoid the showers.
There's a joke just waiting to be told.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, I haven't encountered any negativity towards Brits.
In Perth, I've found that a) there is a genuine respect for British trained teachers and b) it is actually quite difficult to find someone without some kind of British ancestor link - and hence there is an affinity.

I have to say that when I'm on Mullalloo beach - one of my favourites in the world - I do get embarrassed by the yobbish loudness of too many Scousers.
If they were in my face all day I think I'd turn racist.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
.... I do get embarrassed by the yobbish loudness of too many Scousers. If they were in my face all day I think I'd turn racist.
Ya wah?

Deydododatdownderdontdeydo?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:19 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

NO! Britain is NOT shit! Didn't say that or imply it!

I simply think that being self-deprecating allows you to see the warts. It gives you a truer vision of things. Being arrogant blinds you to the truth.

People think that Australia is close to perfect. That is way more absurd than the moaning people do in the UK.
Loving your work.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Worse. I'd rather self-deprecation than arrogance and conceit.

The former gets you closer to reality than the latter does.
The former also leads to depression and anxiety, and in extreme cases, suicide. By the British track record, when things start to go south in your country, what is the British thing to do? It's either sit at home on election time sipping and munching away at the tea and crumpets daydreaming about sunny skies or packing up your bags and going on invading Australia and the U.S. (specifically Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona) instead of staying at home and getting the politicians to listen to you. But then again that's what happens when it becomes the norm for society to start making patriotism like it's an extreme form of denial. In our daily life when we are depressed do we engage in some activity to relieve our depression? Some of us do, but clinical studies show most depressed people lose interest in life. See my point?

Originally Posted by kporte
So Britian is shit then? I don't think so. It seems to be only Brits that find pride to be a flaw. The idea that you prefer a largely negative view of your country than a largely positive one, shows this.
As for reality, everyone's reality will be different. I don't think Britain is crap and I don't think Australia is the best country in the world. I don't believe it makes you arrogant to love your country either. As usual the Americans get brought in as thick and insular... Bollocks
Like my quote above, lack of patriotism in your country only leads your politicians from stepping all over you like doormats. And I'm tired of being told I'm ignorant, stupid, and uneducated because I have pride in my country. Nobody's perfect, but why not celebrate what's GOOD? What's wrong in seeing that each country does have some good? Us Americans and Australians can see the good in our countries, but as usual, the defeatist British are always trying to shove down our throats with a huge magnifying glass that we have to hate ourselves because they mistreat aboriginals or we discriminated against blacks. Can you see why I'm PO'd? Because I can sure see why Australians are when you bash their country, on purpose.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I have noticed this to, often I feel like a second class citizen. Some of them look down on english people and if you ever dare to question anything australian you get the kneejerk reaction 'why dont you piss of back to england then'
They seem to live in their own little bubble, thinking they live in the best country in the world, which if you question them by pointing out how crap something is or a better way something could be done they cannot handle it. They act like a child whos toys have been stolen.

I am sure you will get some reactions like that from aussies on this topic in this forum, they seem to like to troll here and ignore the whole british expats banner at the top.
I have never been looked down on by Aussies, most of them either want to ask where I came from, what made me leave the UK, or why I settled where I did. I often question Australian ways and have never been told to piss off back to England.

I know Australians who have travelled extensively and some who haven't. Not one has ever expressed the view that Australia is the be all and end all.

May I suggest that, instead of labelling all Australians in the way you have, you temper the information with the fact that maybe it's just a few who have this opinion? Every country has arseholes and every country have a majority of nationals who are normal, everyday folk. Unfortunately for whatever reason, you have met some of the arseholes. It's just a country, no different from any other. It has its negatives and its positives and you make of them what you will depending on how much you let either affect you.

I hate generalisations and that's no generalisation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.