Escape from Oz

Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:23 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by kporte
Loving your work.
I've been told he's here all week.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:26 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I've been told he's here all week.
What?!

Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
The former also leads to depression and anxiety, and in extreme cases, suicide. By the British track record, when things start to go south in your country, what is the British thing to do? It's either sit at home on election time sipping and munching away at the tea and crumpets daydreaming about sunny skies or packing up your bags and going on invading Australia and the U.S. (specifically Florida, Texas, California, and Arizona) instead of staying at home and getting the politicians to listen to you. But then again that's what happens when it becomes the norm for society to start making patriotism like it's an extreme form of denial. In our daily life when we are depressed do we engage in some activity to relieve our depression? Some of us do, but clinical studies show most depressed people lose interest in life. See my point?

Like my quote above, lack of patriotism in your country only leads your politicians from stepping all over you like doormats. And I'm tired of being told I'm ignorant, stupid, and uneducated because I have pride in my country. Nobody's perfect, but why not celebrate what's GOOD? What's wrong in seeing that each country does have some good? Us Americans and Australians can see the good in our countries, but as usual, the defeatist British are always trying to shove down our throats with a huge magnifying glass that we have to hate ourselves because they mistreat aboriginals or we discriminated against blacks. Can you see why I'm PO'd? Because I can sure see why Australians are when you bash their country, on purpose.
The other side of the coin(and the pond!) There always is one. For me, I wish the Brits were more proud of their country and shouted it from the rooftops. It may not be the power it once was but it was instrumental in shaping the world we live in today and has brought countless benefits to the world through it's perseverance and ingenuity.
I will never knock the yanks or the Aussies for patriotism, it's to be lauded.
Bush was a tosser though.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:30 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

The other side of the coin(and the pond!) There always is one. For me, I wish the Brits were more proud of their country and shouted it from the rooftops. It may not be the power it once was but it was instrumental in shaping the world we live in today and has brought countless benefits to the world through it's perseverance and ingenuity.
I agree Bush was an idiot, but what I did like about him, is that he didn't seek approval from people to do what he wanted. And that's what we need in a country's leadership. The UK leadership needs to stop kissing the EU's rump and get its backbone back. I'd love to see Britain rise again in this otherwise dark world. This is what I don't like about Obama, he apologizes for everything the U.S. has done, and wants to seek approval for the things he wants to do. That's why Democrats are set to lose their majorities and go Republican again. The American people are not one that like to conform to the rest of the world, we like doing our own thing. It's the Revolutionary attitude we've had since 1776. The only other country which seems to conform to itself the most after the U.S. is Russia, then China, then Australia. After that, eh, I don't know

Last edited by chrisfromusa; Dec 17th 2009 at 7:34 am.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:32 am
Account Closed

I agree Bush was an idiot, but what I did like about him, is that he didn't seek approval from people to do what he wanted. And that's what we need in a country's leadership. The UK leadership needs to stop kissing the EU's rump and get its backbone back. I'd love to see Britain rise again in this otherwise dark world
Fair point. Bit like Thatcher, many detractors but boy did she lead!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point. Bit like Thatcher, many detractors but boy did she lead!
I think that's what Britain needs right now, is a Thatcher-like PM. Just like we need a Ronald Reagan type president here, just without the warhammer please
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why Brits don't big up the UK. I don't understand the supposed embarrassment. Why is it considered better to put the country down at all times? I have been asked more than once why Britons don't appreciate their country. I have no answer. I've always considered the country to be wonderful, with a few problems, but in the main they are very few and far between.

The only people you hear being proud of Britain are a small group of people like me, kporte etc and those Expats who realised that the country they migrated too just didn't match up to the UK in any way. Why didn't they realise that before they moved?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:39 am
Account Closed

I think that's what Britain needs right now, is a Thatcher-like PM. Just like we need a Ronald Reagan type president here, just without the warhammer please
I think Adam Sandler would do a better job than Brown. Obama not cutting it for you?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:40 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

...without the warhammer please
How do you make a $buck ouda that?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't understand why Brits don't big up the UK. I don't understand the supposed embarrassment. Why is it considered better to put the country down at all times? I have been asked more than once why Britons don't appreciate their country. I have no answer. I've always considered the country to be wonderful, with a few problems, but in the main they are very few and far between.

The only people you hear being proud of Britain are a small group of people like me, kporte etc and those Expats who realised that the country they migrated too just didn't match up to the UK in any way. Why didn't they realise that before they moved?
I think as a Brit, you have more reason to be proud of your country than almost any other. America for example has much to be proud of and has achieved amazing things in almost every field.However if you take the last 300 years instead of the last 50, Britain stands head and shoulders above every nation on earth. This is not to belittle what other countries have achieved. It is still one of the most desirable countries in the world to live in and always will be.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:54 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

I think as a Brit, you have more reason to be proud of your country than almost any other. America for example has much to be proud of and has achieved amazing things in almost every field.However if you take the last 300 years instead of the last 50, Britain stands head and shoulders above every nation on earth. This is not to belittle what other countries have achieved. It is still one of the most desirable countries in the world to live in and always will be.
The USA did it quicker:
Cumulative CO2 emissions by country.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

I think Adam Sandler would do a better job than Brown. Obama not cutting it for you?
Not at all. I used to like the guy, and I voted for him, but I regretted making that vote. I think he has about as much integrity as Brown and Blair. His popularity is down to under 50% now, so a majority of Americans think he's ineffective as president.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

I don't know what it is but it seems like from what my gf tells me with all these magazines and TV shows about life in Florida, Spain, and Australia, it seems the fashionable thing to bash the UK and move abroad. Seriously, more than 1 million Brits live abroad and for a country of 60 million, that's a ridiculously high number. I don't even know if we have that many Americans living abroad. If you guys killed the A Place in the Sun crap and anything related to that, I think you'd have far less moving out. That's my reasoning behind your, not realizing the things they'd miss about the UK before moving out.

Originally Posted by WillBlack
How do you make a $buck ouda that?
Wu chu sayin' son?

That's why I'm proud to be an American. I consider myself to live in a fruitful nation and having things that many people envy, like a warm country with lots of space for a nice house not attached to another. I've gotten into a boxing match on here before about patriotism over in the USA forum and I've been accused by all the Brits over there that I'm a thick insular American. No I think if I manage to visit other countries, that I'd learn to appreciate my own more. And according to a lot of testimony from people I've talked to over the years, both online and immigrants in my town, that I have good reason to be proud of being American. Life's too short to be always feel like you live in a bad country.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WillBlack
The USA did it quicker:
Cumulative CO2 emissions by country.
Don't trainwreck this topic, thanks
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:02 am
Banned

Don't trainwreck this topic, thanks
Make your own railroad, this one's terminates at Belsen-under-sun.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Not at all. I used to like the guy, and I voted for him, but I regretted making that vote. I think he has about as much integrity as Brown and Blair. His popularity is down to under 50% now, so a majority of Americans think he's ineffective as president.

I don't know what it is but it seems like from what my gf tells me with all these magazines and TV shows about life in Florida, Spain, and Australia, it seems the fashionable thing to bash the UK and move abroad. Seriously, more than 1 million Brits live abroad and for a country of 60 million, that's a ridiculously high number. I don't even know if we have that many Americans living abroad. If you guys killed the A Place in the Sun crap and anything related to that, I think you'd have far less moving out. That's my reasoning behind your, not realizing the things they'd miss about the UK before moving out.

Wu chu sayin' son?

That's why I'm proud to be an American. I consider myself to live in a fruitful nation and having things that many people envy, like a warm country with lots of space for a nice house not attached to another. I've gotten into a boxing match on here before about patriotism over in the USA forum and I've been accused by all the Brits over there that I'm a thick insular American. No I think if I manage to visit other countries, that I'd learn to appreciate my own more. And according to a lot of testimony from people I've talked to over the years, both online and immigrants in my town, that I have good reason to be proud of being American. Life's too short to be always feel like you live in a bad country.
You have good reason to be proud of your country. It was not formed easily and the grit and determination that made it happen is alive and well in the USA today.
Many people that accuse Americans of being insular, have travelled far and wide without really knowing their own country, which is tiny in relation. Sure there are insular and thick yanks but Britain and every country across the globe has the equivalent. Just tell them to f**k off, it's all these folk understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.