Escape from Oz

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:23 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Escape from Oz

Originally Posted by kporte
You have good reason to be proud of your country. It was not formed easily and the grit and determination that made it happen is alive and well in the USA today.
Many people that accuse Americans of being insular, have travelled far and wide without really knowing their own country, which is tiny in relation. Sure there are insular and thick yanks but Britain and every country across the globe has the equivalent. Just tell them to f**k off, it's all these folk understand.
Yes l agree Australains have reason to be proud of their country, a bunch of convicts dumped at a hell hole at the end of the world has turned out to be a wealthy, peaceful , first world democracy .The only country in the southern hemisphere that equals North America and Europe in standard of living,. In fact the OZ economy is the best performing in the western world at the moment l believe.

Last edited by mohogony; Dec 18th 2009 at 7:30 pm.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes l agree Australains have reason to be proud of their country, a bunch of convicts dumped at a hell hole at the end of the world has turned out to be a wealthy, peaceful democracy .The only country in the southern hemisphere that equals the North America and Europe in standard of living,.

I wouldn't ever call it a hell hole (country wise). It is a country of immense beauty.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:31 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I wouldn't ever call it a hell hole (country wise). It is a country of immense beauty.
It was a hell hole 200 years ago for the convicts sent there l meant.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
It was a hell hole 200 years ago for the convicts sent there l meant.

For them yes, agreed.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:03 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Its strange, I have never in the 9 years I have been here (different times) experienced any anti british sentiment at all. whatsoever. Not sure if I am missing anything - I get questions about where I am from etc but then people usually tell me about their visits to the UK, their grandparents etc.

I am Welsh though, so perhaps its an English thing - I can get that My husband says on building sites that there are issues sometimes - but seems to blame the serbs . He isnt fond of Aussie builders, but with the "I'm bettere than you attitude" of most british tradies I meet I can understand why.

I think a lot of people come from the uk and feel a bit like fish out of water. They are a bit homesick, struggling to find their place in a new country and need to validate themselves and their competancies. So they come across quite badly and then people hate them.

Australia has many problems, as does the UK. Some people like it here, some don't - vive le difference I say.

(cover note incase I am telling lies) Actually maybe thats not true, but I am trying to remember racism issues I have encountered.)
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
That's why I'm proud to be an American. I consider myself to live in a fruitful nation and having things that many people envy, like a warm country with lots of space for a nice house not attached to another. I've gotten into a boxing match on here before about patriotism over in the USA forum and I've been accused by all the Brits over there that I'm a thick insular American. No I think if I manage to visit other countries, that I'd learn to appreciate my own more. And according to a lot of testimony from people I've talked to over the years, both online and immigrants in my town, that I have good reason to be proud of being American. Life's too short to be always feel like you live in a bad country.
You have a lot to be proud of. America is a great, if flawed, country. America is a paradox. Their international image is not good, but every time I've been there, I've been treated well and found Americans to be warm, friendly and open. I'd live in Southern California at the drop of a hat.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I love the UK and its inhabitants. I love its history, I love its multiculturalism, I love its telly and its music, I love its gritty realism (well, it has a gritty realism in the parts I lived in) and its self deprecating humour. I love the countryside and the sheer breathtaking beauty of its views. We didn't leave the UK because we hated it, we left because I'm sure we have gypsy blood and wanted to experience life Down Under.

Some don't seem to understand that you can come to Australia and love it here too, without the need to run down the UK at the same time. Sometimes I read posts on here and thank God that my experience of Australia has been a thousand times better than theirs. Like you, MP, I haven't been denigrated in any way for being British - its been an irrelevancy.
Agree!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 12:59 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Its true that the English tend to be seen as oppressors all over the world. In India I took the blame for the British only putting in 12 inch water pipes in areas of Bombay. “Damn stupid planning by you Britishers” This was in the mid 80s – 35 years after we had been thrown out, and Bombay was about 5 times the size, but it was still our fault.

So apart from sanitation, law and order, education, stopping thuggery and burning of widows, what did the English ever do for us?
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:11 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartantopgun
You missed my point in your unique eloquent manner.

An English person moaning about being treated badly on account of them being English, is not an alien concept. They have systematically as a nation oppressed and bullied countless countries over a very long time with exactly that ethic. Even on a lighter note, rampaging across resorts the length and breadth of Europe, with the anti social obnoxious behavior. Not saying us Scots are immune to that kind of behavior, however, we seem to 'get along' with the locals a lot better than out southern cousins.
This is,without doubt,the biggest pile of crap i have read on this site for ages ( and boy have i read some crap )

Get that huge (deep fried) chip of your shoulder

Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

What about all those Romans who rampaged all over the place in years gone by, building their straight roads & big walls?
And those Norsemen who raped & pillaged their way across Europe in centuries gone by?
England has not always been the invader you know!

In fact, we should demand an apology from the Italians perhaps!
Old Dec 19th 2009, 1:59 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
What about all those Romans who rampaged all over the place in years gone by, building their straight roads & big walls?
And those Norsemen who raped & pillaged their way across Europe in centuries gone by?
England has not always been the invader you know!

In fact, we should demand an apology from the Italians perhaps!
Judging from the immigration data (legal and illegal) England is under an invasion right now.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I have noticed this to, often I feel like a second class citizen. Some of them look down on english people and if you ever dare to question anything australian you get the kneejerk reaction 'why dont you piss of back to england then'
They seem to live in their own little bubble, thinking they live in the best country in the world, which if you question them by pointing out how crap something is or a better way something could be done they cannot handle it. They act like a child whos toys have been stolen.

I am sure you will get some reactions like that from aussies on this topic in this forum, they seem to like to troll here and ignore the whole british expats banner at the top.
Dave, if you're encountering Australians like the one's you describe on a regular basis, you're probably mixing in the wrong circles. You get racist a***holes everywhere, but you can pretty much avoid this if you're smart about where you live, work and send your children to school. As for Aussies trolling and ignoring that this is a British Expats forum, some of us are expats living overseas and joined this forum to try and get helpful advice about the countries we're living in. Some of us frequent the Australian site to keep up to date with what's happening at home and also sometimes we can offer helpful advice as we know suburbs, schooling, etc very well.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 5:08 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Dave, if you're encountering Australians like the one's you describe on a regular basis, you're probably mixing in the wrong circles. You get racist a***holes everywhere,
Stunningly, some of them are even ethno-centric Britons dislodged by a whisker from their shroud like comfort zone.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Their international image is not good, but every time I've been there, I've been treated well and found Americans to be warm, friendly and open. I'd live in Southern California at the drop of a hat.
It seems that way on a visit, but it's hard to get any further than superficial pleasantries.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 6:14 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Stunningly, some of them are even ethno-centric Britons dislodged by a whisker from their shroud like comfort zone.
WTF are you on?

Increasingly bizarre statements and almost always anti-British. Why don't just **** off and crawl back into your hole.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.