Reload this Page >

Australia second best quality of life in the world

Australia second best quality of life in the world

Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Australia second best quality of life in the world

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Australia has a lot of culture, if you are that way inclined there are many, many cultural pursuits to partake of here, art and drama classes etc There is thriving music scene. They celebrate their own special evets {ie ANZAC day service} they have their own sporting code, Aussie Rules. There are museums everywhere - well in the main cities but even in small towns. I find this argument of "Australia has no culture" to be drivel.
The dude doesn't know what culture means. Having a beer with your friends and neighbours in the garden is culture. So is going to the opera.
I don't think there is a word in the English language with such a broad, flexible definition.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MDawson
I haven't met any of those British who think this way?

You must have some dodgy mates.

Most Brits are down to earth and funny and not at all big headed.
I wish that was true, there are lots of great Brits, however there are *some* Brits who want to spend their time running down Australia and Australians and yes I have spent time with these kind of people - they wear you down with their negativity. I don't know if it is insecurity or jealousy but they insist on forcing their opinion on you, and there is one couple in Perth I refuse to have anything to do with because all they want to do is whinge - often about the most ridiculous things that simply come from being alive on the planet.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Russell Crowe, along with Split Enz, Dragon, Rebecca Gibney, Crowded House (1 Aussie), Mark Williams, the pavlova, etc etc are ALL Kiwis born and bred...just moved to OZ. Mel Gibson and Nicole Kidman are American by birth.
Nicole Kidman was born to Aussie parents who were living in Hawaii at the time. She grew up in Australia, and calls Australia home. Ever heard Russell Crowe's Oscar acceptance speech, he doesnt think of himself as a Kiwi! Kiwis have bigger chips on their shoulder regarding Australia than do the British.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kporte
The dude doesn't know what culture means. Having a beer with your friends and neighbours in the garden is culture. So is going to the opera.
I don't think there is a word in the English language with such a broad, flexible definition.
Yes I agree - its just that *some* Brits like to sneer at Australians as having no culture, which I find not to be the case.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Yes I agree - its just that *some* Brits like to sneer at Australians as having no culture, which I find not to be the case.
Must admit, I can find plenty.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:47 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone amused by letting off a firewaork is a simpleton - sorry.
You can't even spell firework. Simpleton.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Jan 10th 2010 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

MDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of lightMDawson is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I don't care where people come from. Some of my fellow Scots dislike the English. Why? For stuff that happened centuries ago? Because of the Poll tax? No idea tbh.
The Aussie need to self promote and big themselves up is very simple and not at all arrogant or sinister. I recognise it in my countrymen ( and my Chihuahua), underdog, chip on the shoulder, inferiority complex, call it what you will. You have to puff your chest out and make yourself a bit bigger, it's instinctive. You are unaware of it. It could equally be said that some English have a similar superiority complex, bred in through generations of achievement and power as one of the greatest nations on earth, from centuries back to today.
Most of the people of the places mentioned would strongly dispute this, but that is the point. It's just there. Bred in.
A well balanced comment , can't pick any holes in that and don't want to.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:21 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Nicole Kidman was born to Aussie parents who were living in Hawaii at the time. She grew up in Australia, and calls Australia home. Ever heard Russell Crowe's Oscar acceptance speech, he doesnt think of himself as a Kiwi! Kiwis have bigger chips on their shoulder regarding Australia than do the British.
In my experience it's actually the Aussies who feel the need to stir up Kiwis. Not the other way around. And regardless of what RC said or didn't say, he was still born and bred in NZ. I'm Australian and British in addition to being a Kiwi. I acknowledge the benefit of that status, but I will never forget my roots and where I grew up.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

In my experience it's actually the Aussies who feel the need to stir up Kiwis. Not the other way around. And regardless of what RC said or didn't say, he was still born and bred in NZ. I'm Australian and British in addition to being a Kiwi. I acknowledge the benefit of that status, but I will never forget my roots and where I grew up.
Pick one! No fence sitting here I'm going for you being Aussie.....
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:10 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Pick one! No fence sitting here I'm going for you being Aussie.....
Well in my heart I'll always be a Kiwi BUT am also proud to hold the other two nationalities as well. I'm greedy...I'm keeping all damn 3!
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience it's actually the Aussies who feel the need to stir up Kiwis.
Nothing wrong with that - got to keep our 3rd world neighbours across the Tasman on their toes.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: An expat Aussie trying to understand why anyone wants to move to Oz.
Devlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of lightDevlin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by elfman
most of western europe, in my experience.
Put it this way: In the USA there's minimal public transport outside the urban areas, the roads are often in a poor state (as are many bridges), and power outages are pretty frequent.
Rubbish! Where are these power outages? Privatised electricity in Australia is woeful in comparison as is the road network.

Just because the USA lags in public transport doesn't mean their infrastructure isn't the best in the world. The USA's road, air and rail networks are cheaper to use and more comprehensive than anywhere else I can think of. This is why most companies enjoy great and reliable supply chains and can do JIT inventory control much better than anywhere else.

Last edited by Devlin; Jan 11th 2010 at 12:43 am.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:48 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

European Australia is only 200 years old while Britain has a couple thousand years to develop culture, OZ has alot of culture for such a young country.
Also OZ poets like Banjo patterson and plenty of famous OZ authors like Peter Carey and others, as well as Aussie rock bands, actors and comedians like Barry humpfries dame edna, Aussie films and soaps shown all round the world.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:51 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

I wish that was true, there are lots of great Brits, however there are *some* Brits who want to spend their time running down Australia and Australians and yes I have spent time with these kind of people - they wear you down with their negativity. I don't know if it is insecurity or jealousy but they insist on forcing their opinion on you, and there is one couple in Perth I refuse to have anything to do with because all they want to do is whinge - often about the most ridiculous things that simply come from being alive on the planet.
Yes there are a few Brits in OZ who think they are superior to Aussies and whinge about everything they usually don't last more then 6 months before going back to the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:59 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devlin
Rubbish! Where are these power outages? Privatised electricity in Australia is woeful in comparison as is the road network.

Just because the USA lags in public transport doesn't mean their infrastructure isn't the best in the world. The USA's road, air and rail networks are cheaper to use and more comprehensive than anywhere else I can think of. This is why most companies enjoy great and reliable supply chains and can do JIT inventory control much better than anywhere else.
Where have you lived in the USA?
If the wind gets above 25 mph here the power lines come down like a house of cards. I speak from experience of living and working in New Jersey and New York State and most people in the USA forum will back me up on this. I've experienced significantly more power cuts (both at work and at home) in seven years in the USA than I did in 30 years in the UK. The state of the roads is often woeful here - many arterial highways are falling apart and the roads in major cities - even high profile tourist destinations such as New York and Washington DC - bring to mind Kampala, Uganda (where I also lived for some time). It is simply indisputable that for the self-proclaimed "richest nation on earth" much of the infrastructure here is a disgrace. When was the last time a motorway bridge in western europe collapsed without warning causing multiple fatalities?

Last edited by elfman; Jan 11th 2010 at 1:01 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.