Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by Deancm
And then there are also the people that are interested in history and archaeology, which is something I am absolutely fascinated with.
Me too - you should see my bookcase Still, I'm happy to put my explorations on hold whilst the children are young. Luckily, I'm also entranced by natural beauty and landscapes. Life's always evolving and as I've said in other posts, who knows how I'll feel in 10 years' time.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:49 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Never been to USA but that sounds a fair point although it may come as a surprise to some the number of places of beauty and interest one can go in Europe away from the hordes.
I found the hordes always in closer proximity in Europe. Not to say that I did not find "old stuff" absorbing nor that I did not seek it out. Just that overall I prefer wide open untrammeled places.

Last edited by WillBlack; Jun 25th 2009 at 6:52 am.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Consider Australia as being similar to Europe, and someone in Brisbane may nip down to Sydney for a weekend holiday, or over to Perth or Hobart for a week or two.

People in the UK have holidays in their Continent (Europe), whilst people here in QLD (for example) tend to have holidays in their continent (Australia).

Just a different way to view it.
Yes already do that have been to Adelaide ad Melbourne so far this year.Which to my way of thinking is not so different from going from London to Norwich in the level of sameness,although saying that Melbourne was a very welcome break(a city) from small townish but comfortable Perth.
I do however think that the magic of travel is not quite there these days....going from London and arriving in Paris a few hours later on the train has somehow demystified the experience of olde..and the whole ritual involved but at least one can tune into another language or stumble over a language book trying to be understood as the case my be.
That otherness is not so likely to result from holidays within Oz ..as nice as it is.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:26 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

To quote a Top Gear presenter...

"Australia is where you go when you’ve made a mess of everything. That’s why the 1.3m Brits who live there are known as whingeing Poms. Because they’re all failures."
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danjones1

"Australia is where you go when you’ve made a mess of everything. That’s why the 1.3m Brits who live there are known as whingeing Poms. Because they’re all failures."
Funny. I posted the exact same Jeremy Clarkson quote last week.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:29 am
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Ok you all asked for this.
Attached Files
File Type: ppt
The Meaning of Culture.ppt (1.46 MB, 327 views)
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

A proper comparison may be:

London to Geneva for a ski holiday? Distance 750 km

Brisbane to Canberra for a ski holiday ? Distance 1100 km
Yes this is true if you only refer to the actual ski holiday.What about all the variables that perhaps should be considered in the overall context of the holiday?.
These can include language,food,customs to even driving on other side of road.These differences tend to affirm that we have been away from our norms and has the potential to sharpen the whole holiday experience.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That would explain a lot....guilty as charged.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

That would explain a lot....guilty as charged.
Me too! Because as we all know, Jeremy Clarkson is the wisest man in the word,

Originally Posted by WillBlack
I didn't enjoy my year of roaming about Europe as much as the USA. To my eye there was far too much dead and buried culture. The place has been so extensively trampled by peoples of so many cultures that it is difficult to see anything natural.
I totally agree. I travelled all over Europe and lived for a while in France and I found nothing there that made me desperately want to return. Loved America though - particularly the 'harder' big cities like New York and Chicago. Lived in upstate New York when I was going my thesis and thought it was an amazing place.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:48 am
ABCDiamond

Yes this is true if you only refer to the actual ski holiday.What about all the variables that perhaps should be considered in the overall context of the holiday?.
These can include language,food,customs to even driving on other side of road.These differences tend to affirm that we have been away from our norms and has the potential to sharpen the whole holiday experience.
I prefer my language, food that I am used to, and I like driving on the correct side of the road

For a Holiday, as you say, I agree with you, but Australia isn't a Holiday, it is a life with some extra options. Plenty of Asian countries to fit that bill for holidays

Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if this is life as a failure - then more should try it
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:53 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

I prefer my language, food that I am used to, and I like driving on the correct side of the road
A good example of lacking in culture.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:58 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
Ok you all asked for this.
I like it.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For a Holiday, as you say, I agree with you, but Australia isn't a Holiday, it is a life with some extra options. Plenty of Asian countries to fit that bill for holidays
That defination is far from being unique to Australia in fact when it comes to options it may be argued that this country has far less than some others...to which it would be a little hard to argue against.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
I like it.
Same.

Although, whilst headhunting, cannibalism and marrying 9 year olds is part of other cultures, there seems to be uncertainty as to what ours is eg; UK and Australia etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.