Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:55 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

The meaning of Culture- "the key to human diversity"

people who find some "cultural" items offensive are ethnocentric.

People who are ethnocentric apply their own values in judging the behavior and beliefs of other people raised in other cultures.
Ethnocentrism contributes to social solidarity and a sense of value and community.
However, it also fuels conflict.

Now you all know why you keep arguing about who's best, who's right, what's right, can we all learn to accept that some things are different because they are!

I do have slides available and a presentation if anyone is interested. (I know, I'm a saddo)
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
The meaning of Culture- "the key to human diversity"

people who find some "cultural" items offensive are ethnocentric.

People who are ethnocentric apply their own values in judging the behavior and beliefs of other people raised in other cultures.
Ethnocentrism contributes to social solidarity and a sense of value and community.
However, it also fuels conflict.

Now you all know why you keep arguing about who's best, who's right, what's right, can we all learn to accept that some things are different because they are!

I do have slides available and a presentation if anyone is interested. (I know, I'm a saddo)
I get moaned at if I say that.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:02 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I get moaned at if I say that.
I just get moaned at, I don't even have to say anything.

Yes Dear!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:04 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
I just get moaned at, I don't even have to say anything.

Yes Dear!
At least you know your place.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:54 pm
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice

the Townsville Brass band
Culture is much much more than a brass band. If you think this is culture then of course you will thrive in 'cultural' Australia.

Culture is very much about the attitude of people and the nation. Countries such as NZ and OZ simply have not got there yet, maybe one day, but that will be long after we all kick the bucket.

Now get back to your BBQ.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 2:03 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
Culture is very much about the attitude of people and the nation.
Culture to you means pompousity and arrogance?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brisbanebob
easy one this.

no one asked you to come to aus, so if you have bloody doubts.........

DONT COME .......
Yes, you are right, this is the easiest answer. Everyone here knew this, but no one said it. Instead they shared their experiences and views, contributing to a rich discussion on a topic that is important to a lot of people.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I get the impression that those that complain of a lack of culture wouldn't know culture if it bit them on the aesthetic.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:11 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danjones1
Culture is much much more than a brass band. If you think this is culture then of course you will thrive in 'cultural' Australia.

Culture is very much about the attitude of people and the nation. Countries such as NZ and OZ simply have not got there yet, maybe one day, but that will be long after we all kick the bucket.

Now get back to your BBQ.
If culture is indeed about attitude of the people and the nation, then Australia and NZ both fill those criteria of having unique and developed attitude and worldwide outlook. Just because its not European or based on those standards doesn't mean a relatively young nation does not have its own cultural identity to my mind.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I'm university educated (two degrees, ta), don't work in the 'trades', wouldn't wipe my arse with The Sun, don't smoke, enjoy a JD and coke and would rather disembowel myself with a straw donkey than holiday on the 'Costas'. I have most definitely *not* become bored and I have **** all money with which to travel.

So got any more useless generalisations you care to share with us? Oh - and for the record, could you please tell me what cultural activities you engaged in, in the yookay? It's just that from my experience (let's try this generalisation thing), the sort of people that claim there is no 'culture' in Oz are the kind of Daily Mail reading, Ready Meal eating, caravan-owning, chinless wonders who haven't been to a concert since Daniel O'Donnel played the local civic centre back in 1982.
Perhaps you can replace "not become bored" with "spend time on BE posting arguments".

In 6 months I have:
read the daily mail a few times
also read the FT many times
been to see Jools Holland & his R&B Band in open air concert - with no rain
flew to Dusseldorf & 5 * hotel for £150
seen Pink
seen AC/DC twice
been to three museums within 1 hour drive of home
been to a battle of britain air show
been to belgium
been across the Pennines 1st time ever - wonderous scenery
stayed in 5 different 5* hotels around the UK
been to football play-off finals at wembley
had 5 BBQs.....and it did not rain
been to someones big fat greek wedding
this weekend go to see a very good local band invited for a 40th birthday party
and in 6 weeks go touring the Chianti region of Italy

Now - I'd say that is pretty varied culturally and I'd never have so many options so easily available so cheaply to me in the Illawarra.

Heck - even ACDC tickets in Sydney are loads more $$$ than £££, so there's a rip off for some reason.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
Perhaps you can replace "not become bored" with "spend time on BE posting arguments".

In 6 months I have:
seen Pink
seen AC/DC twice
been to belgium

Now - I'd say that is pretty varied culturally and I'd never have so many options so easily available so cheaply to me in the Illawarra.

Heck - even ACDC tickets in Sydney are loads more $$$ than £££, so there's a rip off for some reason.
Kept up with Joneses?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Kept up with Joneses?
I've no idea...my neighbours live too far away.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:50 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

In 6 months I have:
seen Pink
seen AC/DC twice
been to belgium

*clap* .. *clap* .... *clap*
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Londoners even get a subsidised price against Scotland...
ACDC 26-06-2009 Seated Tickets Category 1
Price € 209,00 (£ 177,65)
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom
http://www.worldticketshop.com/conce...01_acdc_london

ACDC 30-06-2009 Seated Tickets Category 1
Price € 239,00 (£ 203,15)
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
http://www.worldticketshop.com/conce...asgow_scotland
But how many tickets do you want for A$149.00... for the Victoria one...?
from http://www.ticketmaster.com.au

SEATING ON LEVEL 3 AU $99.00 - AU $149.90

SEATING ON LEVEL 2 AU $149.90

SEATING ON LEVEL 1 AU $149.90
Attached Thumbnails Is Australia an oversold country?-acdc.jpg  

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Jun 24th 2009 at 11:51 pm.

Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

In 6 months I have:
seen Pink
seen AC/DC twice
been to belgium

Since you're comparing the above to the Illawara. Could you please tell me when it was that they relocated Dusseldorf, Belgium and Italy to your part of the yookay? And was it difficult removing and reinstalling the Pennines and Wembley? P.S. Sorry to hear about the drought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.