Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by PeteY
The V8s are coming to Townsville. Complete with dancing semi naked chicks and dagwood dogs.

BAM. AUSSIE CULTURE!!

(I take it culture comes in all shapes and sizes?)
Yea - but you don't give a shit, because like all people who claim this country has no culture - you never engaged in any in the UK. Culture is just some buzzword to trot out when required, it was background noise in the UK and it's just as irrelevant to you here.

One minute with Google turned up the Townsville Choral Society, a cultural festival in Strand Park, a Townsville Baroque concert, Townsville Orchid Society, the Townsville Brass band (who give regular concerts in the park it would seem) and a local drumming circle who offer free drumming sessions. There's also a civic theatre with a full line up of plays, a regional art gallery (complete with annual arts awards ceremony), three further art galleries and a cineplex playing arty films like The Dancer Upstairs and Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress.

Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:54 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Yea - but you don't give a shit, because like all people who claim this country has no culture - you never engaged in any in the UK. Culture is just some buzzword to trot out when required, it was background noise in the UK and it's just as irrelevant to you here.

One minute with Google turned up the Townsville Choral Society, a cultural festival in Strand Park, a Townsville Baroque concert, Townsville Orchid Society, the Townsville Brass band (who give regular concerts in the park it would seem) and a local drumming circle who offer free drumming sessions. There's also a civic theatre with a full line up of plays, a regional art gallery (complete with annual arts awards ceremony), three further art galleries and a cineplex playing arty films like The Dancer Upstairs and Balzac & the Little Chinese Seamstress.

Heyhey don't get arsey with me. I was being serious, trying to point out that culture isn't just a church (or choir....). Culture includes anything which is indicative of a countries history or "personality".

I'll be at the V8s, with a dagwood dog in hand. After I might pop to the museum or head out to the Island. I won't be going to the choral society though hahaha. What do you think i am!! Hahaha. Choral society!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 11:56 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
That's two years out of date. I wonder what the figures are now.
Put your cultural superiority to the test; you find out and let us know. There's a good chappy.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Heyhey don't get arsey with me. I was being serious, trying to point out that culture isn't just a church (or choir....). Culture includes anything which is indicative of a countries history or "personality".

I'll be at the V8s, with a dagwood dog in hand. After I might pop to the museum or head out to the Island. I won't be going to the choral society though hahaha. What do you think i am!! Hahaha. Choral society!
Dagwoods, *shudder*.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Culture includes anything which is indicative of a countries history or "personality".
That is spot on. Australia as a whole is really too young to have developed it's own culture/identity and it's current "culture" (if you can call it that) is primarily Anglo based anyway.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
Put your cultural superiority to the test; you find out and let us know. There's a good chappy.
The post you responded to mentioned nothing about culture. You sure you have directed that post to the right person?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:03 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

A moment's reflection would reveal that you were searching for that sub-set of culture: entertainment.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:04 am
Banned

You sure you have directed that post to the right person?
Not cultured enough to tell really.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:05 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Dagwoods, *shudder*.
Embracing aussie culture includes a heart attack on a stick, I'm game to give it a try

I might even go a bag of 6 hot sticky doughnuts after!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:06 am
Account Closed

Not cultured enough to tell really.
Well go and find out for me. There's a good chappy.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:10 am
Banned

Well go and find out for me. There's a good chappy.
Oh dear, all that effort spent on becoming cultured has made you lazy. Do your own research, Dean old bean.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:12 am
Account Closed

Oh dear, all that effort spent on becoming cultured has made you lazy. Do your own research, Dean old bean.
Can't be bothered. This is Australia you know.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's just that from my experience (let's try this generalisation thing), the sort of people that claim there is no 'culture' in Oz are the kind of Daily Mail reading, Ready Meal eating, caravan-owning, chinless wonders who haven't been to a concert since Daniel O'Donnel played the local civic centre back in 1982.
and get excited when they are presented with a chicken dinner...
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

haha Interesting read. I have to love the great source to.... answer.com.

Anyhow first time I have ever heard that term and its definately never verbally used. Also never even heard the use of the word Oceanians used for an Australian. I guess it sounds good in theory though. We obviously have a different sport that we call football on this side of the world, hence we dont call two of the same sports by the same name. Its just different period.

Those who would big themselves up and call themselves Americans.

When our representatives in General Congress, Assembled, on July 4, 1776, declared "That these United Colonies are, and of Right ought to be, Free and Independent States," the question immediately arose: What do you call the citizens of the newly named United States of America? Our answer was to shorten that mouthful to its last word and add n, a choice that has vexed our neighbors in Canada and Mexico ever since.

For are not they too Americans? But consider the alternatives. We could be called United Statesians, as Canadian and English writers have suggested. Our own citizens have proposed Usonians, Usans, Usarians, Ustatians, Unisians, Unitans, Fredonians, and Columbians. Columbia, in fact, was a serious possibility for the name of our country; it was already in use in 1775 by the poet Phyllis Wheatley, and it has been a favorite of poetic patriots ever since, as in the song "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean." That name was taken so seriously that our nation's capital is located in the District of Columbia. But to this day nobody has improved on the flatly descriptive United States of America, and so its people have remained Americans.

http://www.answers.com/american

A bit like calling Soccer Football or Australians Oceanians.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Or the highlight of their life being how many Pints they can down and how many times they can be sick over their girl/boyfriend...........and the obligatory trip to Lanzarote/Tenerife/Ibiza etc with the fake tan included.

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
and get excited when they are presented with a chicken dinner...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.