Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:20 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by rabsody
I'm looking forward to reading that with great interest. Hope you're throat is better today.

Did you get a response through about the 3 year university rule for returniing brits?
http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17708
I got that email too.
Very disappointed I was. They didn't seem to address that EU residents who have never paid UK taxes get a break

I'm really shocked at the amount of drinking going on Ezzie. Theres no way the village pub where my Mom lives will even let the kids in, never mind serve them (probably cause all the Dads are in there already ). I know I went out drinking twice when I was 16 (and looked about 12) and had no problem getting served, but it was a huge busy place when I was away at college. It was never a Friday tradition when I was in High school thats for sure.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I got that email too.
Very disappointed I was. They didn't seem to address that EU residents who have never paid UK taxes get a break
They addresed it with this comment:

In specific circumstances, this has been extended to three years ordinary residence within the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, as a result of incorporating legislations from the European Community (EC), EEA and Switzerland to ensure the free movement of workers throughout these areas.
Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It was never a Friday tradition when I was in High school thats for sure.
It was at mine. And I went to a very academic private school ironically, in view of this thread, located in Birmingham. Having said that, I would have hoped that by now the drnking age was rather more aggressively enforced than back then.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 6th 2008 at 12:10 am.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:57 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Fleaflyfloflum.

I think maybe you should return to Oz as your children seem to be having problems in the UK and obviously don't like it there. Maybe they have been away too long and are too settled in Oz.

I am curious as to where you are staying though. I have friends back in Sheffield with children in High Schools there and don't seem to have half as much trouble as your's seem to be having in a small village. Do you think your children are if you don't mind me saying putting it on a bit as they want to come back? I know mine would try that on!

My two eldest girls (17) and (14) have attended a private school here in Perth which has had drug problems, a couple of girls getting pregnant in year 11, drinking and smoking at school and on the way to and from school. Many of their friends are having sex under 16, hooning around in older boys cars at the weekend, hanging around shopping centres in large groups causing trouble or drinking on the beach. Our's have been bought up not to do any of the above. We have seen it all here and we consider our area as a nice area to live.

Hopefully the village in Devon we are returning to won't be as bad as the one you are describing!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:11 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Ezzie there has always been the rough and the smooth in Britain but it's here in Australia too. Perhaps you were not the right person to be sent back to the UK for TV programme. You have lived your life in Australia for 22 years and by the sounds of it, you appear to have lived life in some kind of twilight zone where only the pure and innocent dare to tread.
You have no real idea on British life, you've just made a collection of biased observations based on your own ideals on how life should be lived.

I do not agree for one minute that a group of 15 year old boys would be served alchohol. Not knowingly anyway. It's very mischievous of you to suggest this is the case.

While there is an 'underclass' as you put it, I work in fashion and up until recently I saw women and mothers of all ages trying on clothes plotting and scheming to go out for the night, trick a man into sleeping with them so they could get pregnant then claim child support and all the benefits going. I have even watched a mother pour vodka into her baby's bottle to 'knock him out' while she tried clothes on. Needless to say, I threw her out and called the police.
Ezzie, I work in the high end of millionaire's paradise so it's not just the underclass that are milking the system. If governments anywhere in the world are going to pay immoral women money to have a baby, then of course we are going to hear about some very sad cases involving children.
Hate to tell you Ezzie but in the good old days, parents cut their childrens arms off to get insurance paid out. It's not the country that's the problem, it's the current modern day society which is what we're all living in beit the UK, US or Australia.

High time you got your hoity toity opinionated self back on a plane to upmarket Sydney and stop moaning on about Britain.

BTW, I did write to the Families Minister here in Australia about my observations of some of the mothers coming into my shop trying on clothes. I asked them who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to give women a baby bonus with it being means tested?
I received a very well written 3 page letter acknowledging my concerns and they have now changed the law so that the payments are broken up into regular amounts. This means they have to buy a pram instead of a plasma TV.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This article doesn't paint a very pretty picture:

British teenagers, along with those in Ireland and Denmark, are among the heaviest teenage drinkers in Europe. They are more likely to drink to get drunk and suffer from alcohol abuse than their European counterparts.
Too bad it doesn't back up that claim with statistics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...il-744875.html
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:28 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This article doesn't paint a very pretty picture:

Too bad it doesn't back up that claim with statistics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...il-744875.html
Neither does this, but any level headed person knows it has gone on for decades. Reading some of the things these people have said has actually surprised me though. Jeez, I was an innocent.
http://bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=349692

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=public_rss

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Dec 6th 2008 at 12:32 am.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Neither does this, but any level headed person knows it has gone on for decades.
Indeed, but that's a relatively uninteresting given imo. What's more interesting in the context of this debate is whether (i) the problem is getting worse; and (ii) the problem is more severe in the UK than elsewhere.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:49 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone remember how Britain was paid in gin and Australia was paid in rum? We haven't gone that low yet.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I used to go drinking in pubs when i was 15..i looked older so i got in the pubs no problems. We tend to forget that we did what the young uns are doing now..
I was thinking the exact same thing! At 15 I was out round about the pubs having a great time. Don't think it is anything new..........

Mind you, I'm not saying it's right to do that, but just a fact.

Last edited by Marmalade; Dec 6th 2008 at 1:23 am.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricket1
I received a very well written 3 page letter acknowledging my concerns and they have now changed the law so that the payments are broken up into regular amounts. This means they have to buy a pram instead of a plasma TV.
For which DH is gutted We already have all the baby gear from last time around (DD will be almost 6 when no2 arrives next May/Jun) so in theory don't "need" the bonus... especially as it's also meant to be instead of getting maternity pay (which I wouldn't get anyway as I'm a SAHM). Not going to say No to it though.

Guess DH will have to wait for all 13 fortnightly payments to come through before he gets his plasma TV
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go drinking in pubs when i was 15..i looked older so i got in the pubs no problems. We tend to forget that we did what the young uns are doing now..
so very very true.

in fact, some of us are still doing it!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:25 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

so very very true.

in fact, some of us are still doing it!
LOL, me too, well i was in UK until i got to Perth.

I remember thinking once 'full of kids in this pub'...then i remembered it was actually me getting older
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Ezzie there has always been the rough and the smooth in Britain but it's here in Australia too. Perhaps you were not the right person to be sent back to the UK for TV programme. You have lived your life in Australia for 22 years and by the sounds of it, you appear to have lived life in some kind of twilight zone where only the pure and innocent dare to tread.
You have no real idea on British life, you've just made a collection of biased observations based on your own ideals on how life should be lived.

I do not agree for one minute that a group of 15 year old boys would be served alchohol. Not knowingly anyway. It's very mischievous of you to suggest this is the case.

While there is an 'underclass' as you put it, I work in fashion and up until recently I saw women and mothers of all ages trying on clothes plotting and scheming to go out for the night, trick a man into sleeping with them so they could get pregnant then claim child support and all the benefits going. I have even watched a mother pour vodka into her baby's bottle to 'knock him out' while she tried clothes on. Needless to say, I threw her out and called the police.
Ezzie, I work in the high end of millionaire's paradise so it's not just the underclass that are milking the system. If governments anywhere in the world are going to pay immoral women money to have a baby, then of course we are going to hear about some very sad cases involving children.
Hate to tell you Ezzie but in the good old days, parents cut their childrens arms off to get insurance paid out. It's not the country that's the problem, it's the current modern day society which is what we're all living in beit the UK, US or Australia.

High time you got your hoity toity opinionated self back on a plane to upmarket Sydney and stop moaning on about Britain.

BTW, I did write to the Families Minister here in Australia about my observations of some of the mothers coming into my shop trying on clothes. I asked them who in their right mind thought it was a good idea to give women a baby bonus with it being means tested?
C'mon I think that is a little harsh on Ezzie. She is just being honest and telling it the way she sees it. That may not be the way you and I see it but that's beside the point. I, for one, am interested to hear her journey and I would hate for her to feel inhibited in telling her story, in the same way it's a shame so many feel inhibited telling it warts and all in the Barbie for fear of attack.

Viva la difference!
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL, me too, well i was in UK until i got to Perth.

I remember thinking once 'full of kids in this pub'...then i remembered it was actually me getting older
I have that problem too these days, hence I pick my venues very carefully.

Various comments I have received over the years in bars in Aus "you're not bad for an old duck" (btw I was 28 at the time!!!!!!!!) and "what are you doing in here? this is for young people?!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old Dec 6th 2008, 3:35 am
Banned

C'mon I think that is a little harsh on Ezzie. She is just being honest and telling it the way she sees it. That may not be the way you and I see it but that's beside the point. I, for one, am interested to hear her journey and I would hate for her to feel inhibited in telling her story, in the same way it's a shame so many feel inhibited telling it warts and all in the Barbie for fear of attack.

Viva la difference!
So what's wrong with me telling it the way I see it???? I don't agree that the UK is as bad as she makes out and frankly throughout her thread there has been more than a touch of the holier than thou attitude. In Birmingham for God sake????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.