Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You know you've been in the US too long when...

You know you've been in the US too long when...

Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:48 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been in the US too long when...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm not surprised that it annoys you. The conflation of Irish and Scots-Irish by many (most?) Americans irritates me, and I have no ancestry in either Ireland or Scotland!
The average America Scots-Irish seem to see themselves as Irish and certainly not British, they seem to have been morphed into Irish.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The average America Scots-Irish seem to see themselves as Irish and certainly not British, they seem to have been morphed into Irish.
Some mix of confused, ignorant, delusional, and brainwashed.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 10:50 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
not this little red hen! btw, it's Ulster Scots.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

You know you've been in the U.S. too long when you begin to panic that you might not be able to get out.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Some mix of confused, ignorant, delusional, and brainwashed.
Yes this! And the overt hostility towards the English and a strange reluctance to move on. I've actually had Oirish Mercans brag about their great granddads involvement in the IRA...and not realizing how offensive they're being. I feel I can say that as my Mother is Scottish with her mum coming from Donegal.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 12:54 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
You know you've been in the U.S. too long when you begin to panic that you might not be able to get out.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ...

(works better if you live in California)
Old Nov 27th 2013, 1:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Yes this! And the overt hostility towards the English and a strange reluctance to move on. I've actually had Oirish Mercans brag about their great granddads involvement in the IRA...and not realizing how offensive they're being. I feel I can say that as my Mother is Scottish with her mum coming from Donegal.
My neighbor who has an Irish surname has been continually harping on the English/Irish thing for the last 10 years, starting with DH's arrival here. I finally spoke up last week when she made another crack about his Englishness to remind her, that HIS mother had an Irish surname and I was frankly sick of the sniping and to let it go. Side note, a bit hypercritical, since conversely she is proud of her Mayflower roots.

After all, we are pretty much mutts here.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:12 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ...

(works better if you live in California)
What are we, roaches?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:20 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
What are we, roaches?
'Welcome to the Roach Motel California' doesn't quite roll off the tongue as easily.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cindyabs
My neighbor who has an Irish surname has been continually harping on the English/Irish thing for the last 10 years, starting with DH's arrival here. I finally spoke up last week when she made another crack about his Englishness to remind her, that HIS mother had an Irish surname and I was frankly sick of the sniping and to let it go. Side note, a bit hypercritical, since conversely she is proud of her Mayflower roots.

After all, we are pretty much mutts here.
I remeber when I was in the US for a vacation to meet my then fiance before I moved permanatly and having to to stay in Chicago for three days due to flight cancallations (it was the time the really heavy snow closed most of the airports in western Europe)
Anyhow I was in Chicago waiting at an "L” station abnd this guy came up and started talking too me and mentioned his parents were from Kilkenny he then asked my weather I said Derry or Londonderry. I dodged the question by saying it depends who I'm talking too, theb he said ”well I say Derry& and walked off. That is the only type of Irish American type jibe I have had so far, but the I live in Texas, most of the plastic paddies live in the North East or in the likes of Chicgo they never really ventured South.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 3:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ulsterman in Texas
...., most of the plastic paddies live in the North East or in the likes of Chicgo they never really ventured South.
Whereas the Scots-Irish/ Ulster Scots spearheaded the settlement of the full length of the Appalachians.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:13 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

Whereas the Scots-Irish/ Ulster Scots spearheaded the settlement of the full length of the Appalachians.
They did indeed, and went even farther South, Dallas, Houston and Austin are all named after men of Ulster Scots desent.
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

You know you've been here to long when an English accent on TV/radio sounds really harsh and chavvy...
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:36 pm

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
You know you've been here to long when an English accent on TV/radio sounds really harsh and chavvy...
Been watching TOWIE?
Old Nov 27th 2013, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Not Katty Kay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.