Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old May 1st 2007, 1:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by jumping doris
We pay nearly$10,000 a year : and they keep threatening to re-evaluate our house.
Our house in the UK was worth more and much bigger and our council tax was 103 pounds per month for 10 months.
And we pay an earned income tax to the township!!!!
When we add everything up we find the cost of living here higher than where we lived in the UK.
Last year our housing tax was just under $13,000 and they have recently done a revaluation of all properties in the township so it's just about to go up again (but they haven't actually announced by how much...:curse:

In fact, it has risen by $1,000 for each year we've been here and we live in a very modest 3 bedroomed 60 years old house - in fact the land our house is built on is worth more than the house!

The town also earns a substantial income from the posh 'Mall at Short Hills' so I don't know what the council is spending the money on; last week the residents voted for a $75 million bond for the schools....(which are supposedly amongst the best in the nation)

Come to think of it, the school superindent's salary is approx $220,000 per year. Astonishing.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Last year our housing tax was just under $13,000 and they have recently done a revaluation of all properties in the township so it's just about to go up again (but they haven't actually announced by how much...:curse:

In fact, it has risen by $1,000 for each year we've been here and we live in a very modest 3 bedroomed 60 years old house - in fact the land our house is built on is worth more than the house!

The town also earns a substantial income from the posh 'Mall at Short Hills' so I don't know what the council is spending the money on; last week the residents voted for a $75 million bond for the schools....(which are supposedly amongst the best in the nation)

Come to think of it, the school superindent's salary is approx $220,000 per year. Astonishing.
what educational credentials are required for the supers job? I need to apply. That is more than the President earns ffs!!
Old May 1st 2007, 1:41 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

and let me guess: you pay extra for water, sewage and waste disposal?
Old May 1st 2007, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
At least, in the UK, you have some idea of where your taxes go. WE might not necessarily always have spent them in this way, but it doesn't feel like being robbed. Here I really have very little idea of where the money goes apart from schools, the war, roads and a handful of other things.

NB: DAK - do widow(er)s get a pension here?
As far as I know, there is no special pension for widow(er)s. However, they would generally get whatever pension the deceased spouse was receiving.

For example, my friend's husband retired from the military, and then worked long enough at a private firm to get a retirement pension from there also. She also worked her entire life. So I believe she gets his military and private pensions in addition to her own (although perhaps because both the military and social security are government benefits, there could be some reduction, I don't really know those details).

And I believe that some of those pensions would generally begin at retirement age, not just simply because a spouse is deceased, although I'm not certain there.

Anyone who knows more details please correct me.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:15 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
As far as I know, there is no special pension for widow(er)s. However, they would generally get whatever pension the deceased spouse was receiving.

For example, my friend's husband retired from the military, and then worked long enough at a private firm to get a retirement pension from there also. She also worked her entire life. So I believe she gets his military and private pensions in addition to her own (although perhaps because both the military and social security are government benefits, there could be some reduction, I don't really know those details).

And I believe that some of those pensions would generally begin at retirement age, not just simply because a spouse is deceased, although I'm not certain there.

Anyone who knows more details please correct me.
What you are describing is not what we in the UK would call a widow(er)'s pension. This is a pension given to someone who loses his/her spouse. It is meant to at least partially replace the lost income and help the surviving spouse bring up the couple's children.

I am worried about my friend whose husband died a couple of months ago. I don't like to pry, but if there is no such thing as a widow's pension here I suspect she will end up having to sell the house.
Old May 1st 2007, 3:15 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There are survivor's benefits under SSDI. This is one of the reasons SS is going bankrupt -- it's overburdened by trying to be too many things to too many people.

You'd have to know whether her husband was eligible (paid in enough quarters, etc). His children would be eligible too. However, it's no great shakes and without life insurance ....
Old May 1st 2007, 3:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
what educational credentials are required for the supers job? I need to apply. That is more than the President earns ffs!!
There aren't much...where MIL teaches, the super is a right pillock...hmmm...
Old May 1st 2007, 4:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, I want to know more - why not post on my Hillary thread!
My husband met him a couple of months ago in NYC...thankfully she wasn't there.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:06 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

What you are describing is not what we in the UK would call a widow(er)'s pension. This is a pension given to someone who loses his/her spouse. It is meant to at least partially replace the lost income and help the surviving spouse bring up the couple's children.

I am worried about my friend whose husband died a couple of months ago. I don't like to pry, but if there is no such thing as a widow's pension here I suspect she will end up having to sell the house.
If you look at that sheet that is sent to you every year (3 months before your birthday), it will tell you the survivor's benefits for spouse and children.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:10 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
If you look at that sheet that is sent to you every year (3 months before your birthday), it will tell you the survivor's benefits for spouse and children.
^^^^

you will receive this if you are paying into Social Security, from the SSA. I don't know, however, when you start receiving these, because if it were right away, my husband should have received one.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:25 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

And my poor 69 year old Mom who has 3 masters degrees (special ed, learning disabilities and MBA) has taught school for44 years and has never made more than 45K a year. A-fuc*ing-mazing.
Old May 1st 2007, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Some jobs include as a benefit some form of life insurance. And many people here do plan for the possibility that they will die before their spouse, and purchase life insurance privately, especially if they are the only/primary wage earner. Also, sometimes they could have some form of mortgage insurance, which would pay off the home loan if they pass away.

Hopefully some or all of that is the case for your friend.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
No kidding - Doris should have a 2 million buck house (+20%)
Sadly, no.
No where near, infact. We must have a high millage rate....is that what sets your property tax?
Our teachers are paid a lot and so is the superintendant. We spend huge amounts on the high school football team and on every other team. Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember someone saying that they spend over a million a year on the football team but I must have dreamt that.
They spend about $30K on the High school musical.

They are building a huge new rec centre with a big indoor pool, lazy river,sports fields, function rooms etc etc and that is costing a fortune and will result in our taxes going up. No-one wants it because of the cost.
We can all go and drown ourselves en masse.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
::::::::::::::THUD::::::::::::::::
In that case I'd better not mention how much our property taxes are.
Old May 1st 2007, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

When my husband died in 2000 he was 100 % disabled from the military and receiving VA payments. He had also paid into spouse's military pension. However, I wasn't able to receive both so received the higher one (VA) which just covers my mortgage. I'll lose this if I marry before age 57 (they just changed this, before you couldn't get married at all). Can't get 2 big (ha ha) government cheques.

I can receive his SS pension at normal retirement age, or opt to receive mine, whichever is higher, but not both. His daughter, who lives in Louisiana with her mother, gets SS security benefits until she is 18 or until age 23 if she attends college.

Joan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.