Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old May 1st 2007, 6:03 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by Tracym
Mallory - I still am confused - WHERE are you getting that 50%?
You don't get as much as your spouse, you get 50% (if you are relying on him).

If you want to get as much as your spouse, you have to earn it yourself. Of if he dies, you would get 100% I believe.

hypothetical:

Man gets $1,400.00 SS.

Present spouse worked PT and would only draw $600 herself. 50% of man's is $700, so wife's will be brought up to $700.

Ex wife (married to him for 10 years).

Same as as present spouse.

Last edited by Mallory; May 1st 2007 at 6:36 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 6:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
but wouldn't your own SS be greater than 50% of your ex-husband?
That will depend of course. He's a lot closer to retirement (and finalising that number) than I am.
Old May 1st 2007, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

You don't get as much as your spouse, you get 50% (if you are relying on him).

If you want to get as much as your spouse, you have to earn it yourself.

hypothetical:

Man gets $1,400.00 SS.

Present spouse worked PT and would only draw $600 herself. 50% of man's is $700, so wife's will be brought up to $700.

Ex wife (married to him for 10 years).

Same as as present spouse.
I understand you are saying 50%. But what I read contradicts that.

The links I posted showed that the spouse get 100%. Which is why I am confused. Do you have a link that shows where you read that 50%?
Old May 1st 2007, 6:49 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I understand you are saying 50%. But what I read contradicts that.

The links I posted showed that the spouse get 100%. Which is why I am confused. Do you have a link that shows where you read that 50%?
If you are both alive, you get 50% of his, (or your own). When he dies you get 100%.

I'm not divorced, so not really up on that, but here's a link.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/mom/st...36r4-3,00.html

Last edited by Mallory; May 1st 2007 at 6:56 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

If you are both alive, you get 50% of his, (or your own). When he dies you get 100%.

I'm not divorced, so not really up on that, but here's a link.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/mom/st...36r4-3,00.html
Ohhh I see what you're talking about. We were talking (mostly) about the widows etc. I thought, that's why I couldn't see where you got that. Thanks.
Old May 1st 2007, 8:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Trouble is I only worked in the UK for a month or so before moving to Germany where I worked for 20 years before coming here. I know I get retirement benefits from there but the sticking point is that I want a pension from Germany separate from the US one, i.e. not combine them so I only get one, if you see what I mean. The Germans say this is possible but the US says no, so I don't know if I can keep it quiet or not!!
You'd need to either be a USC if you want your US pension abroad, or be resident in the US then.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
and let me guess: you pay extra for water, sewage and waste disposal?
Our savings are from free well water & having a septic tank. Do pay for waste pick up though.
Old May 1st 2007, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
They spend about $30K on the High school musical.
Holy cow!
Old May 1st 2007, 10:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Partly correct. If the ex was married to a man for 10 years she can collect half his SS (or her own if larger).

But, the present spouse can ALSO collect half of his SS (or her own if larger).

He collects the same amount regardless.

I believe they can start collecting, when he starts drawing.

Even if he is deceased, they both can collect.
What if he's been married say 4 times...all for 10 years or more?
Old May 1st 2007, 11:34 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What if he's been married say 4 times...all for 10 years or more?
I am not an expert, but yes as far as I could see, they would all get 50% of his SS, if they had not remarried. after all, they put their time in!
Old May 1st 2007, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Well, that's good to know. Provided there's still some money left in the pot in 10 years time. But when applying for SS benefits over here at retirement age is there a question about other income, i.e. pension from another country? The one person at SS I talked to said that I would have to report the amount I was getting from Germany and if it was more than the US one I would get the German and not the US. Was that a load of crap?
ok, after a couple of hours at the ss office this afternoon. YES u can draw two pensions and NO they wont affect each other - Providing that u have reached the 40 credits required! If its less than the 40 required to receive a us pension then u can use what u have accumulated here and add it to ur foreign one to get a FULL pension. However, if u have reached the required credits that u need then u get the full one here and it has no affect if u have one from another country too.

US SS will be paid out to a non resident non USC providing they have lived with spouse for at least five years in USA! And u will be taxed differently.

US SS is taxed differently if u are a non USC but have collected all ur credits! does that help any.

And yes if ur present hubby dies and ur ex has more ss you can claim from his providing u dont remarry before u turn 60 and providing ur either divorced again or widowed.

If u find my pic in the newspaper tomorrow because i have been arrested! I am sure the woman thought i had alteria motives. I didnt and I dont just want to know whats what.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

hammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to allhammersmith_cockney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by basementwaj
So i have been in the US for 6 weeks now, with my greencard in my hand and a ir1 visa in my pocket.... and its hard being here!

I thought it would be pretty easy, get visa, move to US, get job, get apartment be happy. But my job fell through and i cant find any work. I know its only been 6 weeks (and we are living with the wifes gran for now) but my UK experience means sh*t to these people. I mean i have travelled the world managing my previous company's divisions, and was based in london, but people here dont really care and just want you to sell insurance for them!

I have worked (PT&FT) since i was 13 years old, and i have been unemployed for 8 weeks now. i am just not used to this...
people here are nice but i can tell that their sincerety is completely fake...
i have always lived within 5 miles of my entire family and now im 4000 miles from them..
Plus, living expenses are way higher than i thought they were... for example, i bought lettuce yesterday from food lion, it cost $2.00! the same lettuce is £0.30 in the uk (i guess its not a high demand item here)

Plus mobiles are way more expensive than i realised, internet is more pricey than the UK and everyone wants to sell you something!

So, i have had my rant now and just needed to get my frustrations out there... i have massive respect for all of you that came here and have made a go of it, i hope i get to that position soon..... any advice to keep me sane is welcomed! i check BE whenever i can, but im stealing my neighbours internet and its a bit dicey!!!!

and if anyone wants to send me a Wah-mbulance, feel free!

I know how you feel mate, I spent 3 years in USA and I'm just standing still financially, so I'm going back home in July 2007. Heathcare is expensive, food is expensive and pay in USA is total crap...and I have to work Christmas, New Year and Easter. NO WAY anymore...England Here I come!
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deedee13
ok, after a couple of hours at the ss office this afternoon. YES u can draw two pensions and NO they wont affect each other - Providing that u have reached the 40 credits required! If its less than the 40 required to receive a us pension then u can use what u have accumulated here and add it to ur foreign one to get a FULL pension. However, if u have reached the required credits that u need then u get the full one here and it has no affect if u have one from another country too.

US SS will be paid out to a non resident non USC providing they have lived with spouse for at least five years in USA! And u will be taxed differently.

US SS is taxed differently if u are a non USC but have collected all ur credits! does that help any.

And yes if ur present hubby dies and ur ex has more ss you can claim from his providing u dont remarry before u turn 60 and providing ur either divorced again or widowed.

If u find my pic in the newspaper tomorrow because i have been arrested! I am sure the woman thought i had alteria motives. I didnt and I dont just want to know whats what.
I mildly shudder to mention this, fearing another great debate - but with social security generally comes medicare, which is important to have in the older years.

I'm ignoring the background sounds of the knife slipping across the sharpening steel...
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

I mildly shudder to mention this, fearing another great debate - but with social security generally comes medicare, which is important to have in the older years.

I'm ignoring the background sounds of the knife slipping across the sharpening steel...
explain a little bit more? i think basically the two go hand in hand but what will it have for an impact on the people like me and many others that probably pay into but might not or cannot get USC.
Old May 2nd 2007, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Deedee13
explain a little bit more? i think basically the two go hand in hand but what will it have for an impact on the people like me and many others that probably pay into but might not or cannot get USC.
As near as I can tell, for social security retirement and medicare, you do not need to be a USC - legal permanent resident is fine.

Medicare comes along with social security for sure when you retire, I just wasn't sure about all this widow/before retirement age stuff.

Just my own thoughts on becoming a citizen - if there isn't any disadvantage to citizenship (and I don't think there is that I can think of for the US or the UK) I'd personally go ahead an get it. If the UK felt like offering me one, I'd gladly take it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.