Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old May 1st 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

this conversation about widow and pensions etc can anyone answer this question. I heard that if the partner was married before and dies the EX gets the SS pension? is this correct?
Old May 1st 2007, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

http://www.ssa.gov/ww&os2.htm

If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer and you are age 60 or older (or age 50 if you are disabled.) Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older (age 50 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving benefits.
Just looked up the above link....

Joan
Old May 1st 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
http://www.ssa.gov/ww&os2.htm

Just looked up the above link....

Joan
do u have to be an american citizen to claim survivors ss? or even to claim any ss?
Old May 1st 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

As far as I know as long as you are a legal permanent resident and have worked the appropriate number of quarters, you'll get the SS. However, I get differing answers when I wanted to know if I would get the benefits if I returned to the UK. One person said no, another said yes, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get my US citizenship just to be on the safe side. I've been here 17 years so I suppose it's time. Just keep putting it off.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

As far as I know as long as you are a legal permanent resident and have worked the appropriate number of quarters, you'll get the SS. However, I get differing answers when I wanted to know if I would get the benefits if I returned to the UK. One person said no, another said yes, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get my US citizenship just to be on the safe side. I've been here 17 years so I suppose it's time. Just keep putting it off.
i am going to the ss office this afternoon. So i will ask them! Bloody pain in the ass this is. Especially if someone is working here and paying into it and then not reaping the benefits.
Old May 1st 2007, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

I always ask at least 3 people to see if they give the same reply, especially at government offices. Let me know if you get any GOOD info.
Joan
Old May 1st 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mallory
If you look at that sheet that is sent to you every year (3 months before your birthday), it will tell you the survivor's benefits for spouse and children.

If you need to check that, you can find your records and benefits here also -

http://socialsecurity.gov/

Look under 'Your Social Security Records', then 'Your Statement'.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
this conversation about widow and pensions etc can anyone answer this question. I heard that if the partner was married before and dies the EX gets the SS pension? is this correct?
Partly correct. If the ex was married to a man for 10 years she can collect half his SS (or her own if larger).

But, the present spouse can ALSO collect half of his SS (or her own if larger).

He collects the same amount regardless.

I believe they can start collecting, when he starts drawing.

Even if he is deceased, they both can collect.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Partly correct. If the ex was married to a man for 10 years she can collect half his SS (or her own if larger).

But, the present spouse can ALSO collect half of his SS (or her own if larger).

He collects the same amount regardless.

I believe they can start collecting, when he starts drawing.

Even if he is deceased, they both can collect.
Doesn't sound like half to me - sounds like the ex and the surviving spouse get the full amount - unless I'm reading it wrong. The previous site said:

"If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer and you are age 60 or older (or age 50 if you are disabled.) Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older (age 50 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving benefits."
Old May 1st 2007, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tracym
Doesn't sound like half to me - sounds like the ex and the surviving spouse get the full amount - unless I'm reading it wrong. The previous site said:

"If your divorced spouse dies, you can receive benefits as a widow/widower if the marriage lasted 10 years or longer and you are age 60 or older (or age 50 if you are disabled.) Benefits paid to a surviving divorced spouse who is 60 or older (age 50 if disabled) will not affect the benefit rates for other survivors receiving benefits."
well i dont understand a word of it! if spouse dies does surviving spouse if he has never been married before get full or is half just the amount anyone can get>??? And if spouse starts claiming does he get full amount or is his reduced so ex gets a bit?
Old May 1st 2007, 4:57 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

well i dont understand a word of it! if spouse dies does surviving spouse if he has never been married before get full or is half just the amount anyone can get>??? And if spouse starts claiming does he get full amount or is his reduced so ex gets a bit?
that was so complicated I couldn't understand what you were getting at.

i'm not an expert by the way, but i do read a lot.

If ex wife was married to a man for at least 10 years - she can claim AN AMOUNT equaling half of his SS.

Present spouse can get AN AMOUNT equalling half this man's SS.

Man gets to draw the full amount, while the ex and spouse both draw AN AMOUNT equaling 50% of what he draws.

Last edited by Mallory; May 1st 2007 at 5:04 pm.
Old May 1st 2007, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I'm gonna say husband and wife, just because it gets confusing to read - I understand it could be either way.

My understanding is that if a husband dies, his current wife gets whatever she would get regardless if if he has an ex-wife who could collect also.

This talks about how much percentage-wise:

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/onyourown5.htm

In your own situation, I suspect that if (heaven forbid!) anything happened to your husband there would be pensions and things from the police force.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that was so complicated I couldn't understand what you were getting at.

i'm not an expert by the way, but i do read a lot.

If ex wife was married to a man for at least 10 years - she can claim AN AMOUNT equaling half of his SS.

Present spouse can get AN AMOUNT equalling this man's SS.

Man gets to draw the full amount, while the ex and spouse both draw AN AMOUNT equaling 50% of what he draws.
I must be missing something in the reading - where are you seeing that "half" part?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ironporer
And my poor 69 year old Mom who has 3 masters degrees (special ed, learning disabilities and MBA) has taught school for44 years and has never made more than 45K a year. A-fuc*ing-mazing.
want to be teaching in CT....they make about double what teachers in ME are making.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You can only claim SS abroad if a USC is the problem, but you can use the SS contributions to bunk up your NIC in the UK if you don't have enough for both...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.