Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old May 1st 2007, 5:17 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by Tracym
I must be missing something in the reading - where are you seeing that "half" part?
that's right, both the ex-wife and the present wife would draw, but it wouldn't bring his part down. They don't get the full amount though, they get 50% (half).

Or will get their own SS. If their own SS does amount to 50% of his, it will be brought up to that level.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
that's right, both the ex-wife and the present wife would draw, but it wouldn't bring his part down. They don't get the full amount though, they get 50% (half).

Or will get their own SS. If their own SS does amount to 50% of his, it will be brought up to that level.
SO IF HE dies.. ( sounds like i am planning a ms marple bloody murder here... I aint just curious) if hubby should die then she gets half and i get half.. but what if he had never been married before or she remarried?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

If ex wife was married to a man for at least 10 years - she can claim AN AMOUNT equaling half of his SS.
Only if she doesn't remarry. I am now seriously regretting remarrying for this reason.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I still can't find that 50% part. According to this link, at least at retirement age, the surviving spouse gets 100%

http://www.ssa.gov/survivorplan/onyourown5.htm

I may be missing something - where are you seeing that 50%?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deedee13
SO IF HE dies.. ( sounds like i am planning a ms marple bloody murder here... I aint just curious) if hubby should die then she gets half and i get half.. but what if he had never been married before or she remarried?
If ex-wife remarries too young, she gets nothing. I'm reading it differently than Mallory, unless she shows me something I'm missing. See the link in my prior post for what it seems to me you'd get.

Seriously though, check out police pensions - that'd probably be more money.

And don't start sharpening the kitchen knives or anything...
Old May 1st 2007, 5:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
If ex-wife remarries too young, she gets nothing. I'm reading it differently than Mallory, unless she shows me something I'm missing. See the link in my prior post for what it seems to me you'd get.
remarries at all.....
Old May 1st 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Only if she doesn't remarry. I am now seriously regretting remarrying for this reason.
If you remarry before you reach age 60, you cannot receive deceased spouse's benefits as long as that marriage remains in effect.

If you remarry after you reach age 60, you will continue to qualify for benefits on your deceased spouse's Social Security record. However, if your current spouse is a Social Security beneficiary, you may want to apply for a wife's or husband's benefit on his or her record if it would be larger than your widow's or widower's benefit. You cannot get both.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
You can only claim SS abroad if a USC is the problem, but you can use the SS contributions to bunk up your NIC in the UK if you don't have enough for both...
Trouble is I only worked in the UK for a month or so before moving to Germany where I worked for 20 years before coming here. I know I get retirement benefits from there but the sticking point is that I want a pension from Germany separate from the US one, i.e. not combine them so I only get one, if you see what I mean. The Germans say this is possible but the US says no, so I don't know if I can keep it quiet or not!!
Old May 1st 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by norfolkbroad
Trouble is I only worked in the UK for a month or so before moving to Germany where I worked for 20 years before coming here. I know I get retirement benefits from there but the sticking point is that I want a pension from Germany separate from the US one, i.e. not combine them so I only get one, if you see what I mean. The Germans say this is possible but the US says no, so I don't know if I can keep it quiet or not!!
i am getting a german one too. You get the german one no matter what. I just got here a few months ago and got it all sorted before i left because like u i worked there for most of my adult life.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i am getting a german one too. You get the german one no matter what. I just got here a few months ago and got it all sorted before i left because like u i worked there for most of my adult life.
What part of Germany were you in? I LOVED Germany when I visited - wish I'd taken the chance to move there for a while when I had it.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:44 pm
Lapine Member

You guys are going to think I'm horrible, but....

if I divorce or am widowed before I'm 60, I'd qualify for my ex's benefit level.

This makes me feel MUCH better, assuming SSA doesn't change the rules or go bankrupt.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

norfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to beholdnorfolkbroad is a splendid one to behold

Well, that's good to know. Provided there's still some money left in the pot in 10 years time. But when applying for SS benefits over here at retirement age is there a question about other income, i.e. pension from another country? The one person at SS I talked to said that I would have to report the amount I was getting from Germany and if it was more than the US one I would get the German and not the US. Was that a load of crap?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I worked in Germany too, in Wiesbaden for 3 years.
Old May 1st 2007, 5:53 pm
In the pink

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You guys are going to think I'm horrible, but....

if I divorce or am widowed before I'm 60, I'd qualify for my ex's benefit level.

This makes me feel MUCH better, assuming SSA doesn't change the rules or go bankrupt.
but wouldn't your own SS be greater than 50% of your ex-husband?
Old May 1st 2007, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but wouldn't your own SS be greater than 50% of your ex-husband?
Mallory - I still am confused - WHERE are you getting that 50%?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.