Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

wow,the move is harder than i thought

wow,the move is harder than i thought

Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:37 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wow,the move is harder than i thought

Originally Posted by basementwaj
So, i have had my rant now and just needed to get my frustrations out there... i have massive respect for all of you that came here and have made a go of it, i hope i get to that position soon..... any advice to keep me sane is welcomed! i check BE whenever i can, but im stealing my neighbours internet and its a bit dicey!!!!

and if anyone wants to send me a Wah-mbulance, feel free!
It isn't what you expect is it?
Keep going, chin up etc..you'll get there.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 7:01 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Waj, I really feel for you. Those first few months are really rough. Karma for you, and chin up & best of luck!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again for all your advice peeps... (BTW what the f**k are those easter peep things all about )

i handed my resume to the local business people that i was volunteering with and helping, they all loved it and said they preferred the layout to their own! thanks bill gates!

I had a meeting today with a small business locally that think their expansion plans will make them millions and they want me to run it for them, but i can see very little money / future in it. im thinking about it.....

i keep hitting the job web sites, and im hopeful that something will come up, the meeting today let me use my business brain again so that has lifted my spirits again.

Thanks again for all your help and kind words!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

thanks again for all your advice peeps... (BTW what the f**k are those easter peep things all about )

i handed my resume to the local business people that i was volunteering with and helping, they all loved it and said they preferred the layout to their own! thanks bill gates!

I had a meeting today with a small business locally that think their expansion plans will make them millions and they want me to run it for them, but i can see very little money / future in it. im thinking about it.....

i keep hitting the job web sites, and im hopeful that something will come up, the meeting today let me use my business brain again so that has lifted my spirits again.

omg peeps are disgusting.

A friend of mine told me they hired a lot of people from job fairs, if you have any of those about.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Hang in there! When I first moved here I worked answering the phones on the 3rd shift! That was a weird experience. Rural TN is a looooonnnnggg way from the UK. The USA is a huge country and varies from state to state and city to city (have you thought about moving?). It is very difficult to assimilate and settle in. It took me years. I don't get the peeps thing either! Good luck!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Texas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond reputeTexas Mom has a reputation beyond repute

What the heck are peeps? Is it those little things that are brightly coloured for easter? If so never tried them as I can imagine what they would do to your insides. My friends little boy ate some bright blue ones and his arse cheeks were bright blue for a week!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 3:55 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck mate - monster, careerbuilder and dice (though this is mostly IT focused) are all great resources, though living in the sticks is going to make it tough for you.
As many have mentioned referrals seem to be the best way to get yourself hooked up here, so do what you've been doing and get yourself out and about. Maybe consider getting yourself a headhunter type to assist - couldn't do any harm.

Do you have everything you need to actually start working like SSN, green card, etc. People are very easily put off and very stupid so if you don't have everything they think you need they are unlikely to go out of their way to help.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas Mom
What the heck are peeps? Is it those little things that are brightly coloured for easter? If so never tried them as I can imagine what they would do to your insides. My friends little boy ate some bright blue ones and his arse cheeks were bright blue for a week!
I think they're some kinda marshmallow sticky chewy thing - I've never actually put one in my mouth (and do not plan to!). They're for Easter mostly.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I think they're some kinda marshmallow sticky chewy thing - I've never actually put one in my mouth (and do not plan to!). They're for Easter mostly.
Definitely wouldn't eat one. But have you tried putting them in the microwave?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
the peeps in the microwave thing was on south park this easter, was so funny i nearly pissed my pants...
they are just like plastic suger marshmellow puffs and truely are the most disgusting thing that i have ever put in my mouth. i bet that the entire box that was bought for me will sit on a landfill and never degrade... 200 years from now tony robinson / baldricks long lost grandson will do a US time team and stumble on yellow chick peepy things and they will taste exactly the same!

As for the jobs, career builder, monster and craigs list have been my weapons of choice so far... my company in the uk have been in contact and have set up a meeting for monday (on the phone) to discuss maybe working for them here.. i hope, so it could all be good news, not sure yet but will let you know!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm not really in the mood to shop for a new microwave, thank you.

I shudder to ask - what do they do?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 11:01 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

So i have been in the US for 6 weeks now, with my greencard in my hand and a ir1 visa in my pocket.... and its hard being here!

I thought it would be pretty easy, get visa, move to US, get job, get apartment be happy. But my job fell through and i cant find any work. I know its only been 6 weeks (and we are living with the wifes gran for now) but my UK experience means sh*t to these people. I mean i have travelled the world managing my previous company's divisions, and was based in london, but people here dont really care and just want you to sell insurance for them!

I have worked (PT&FT) since i was 13 years old, and i have been unemployed for 8 weeks now. i am just not used to this...
people here are nice but i can tell that their sincerety is completely fake...
i have always lived within 5 miles of my entire family and now im 4000 miles from them..
Plus, living expenses are way higher than i thought they were... for example, i bought lettuce yesterday from food lion, it cost $2.00! the same lettuce is £0.30 in the uk (i guess its not a high demand item here)

Plus mobiles are way more expensive than i realised, internet is more pricey than the UK and everyone wants to sell you something!

So, i have had my rant now and just needed to get my frustrations out there... i have massive respect for all of you that came here and have made a go of it, i hope i get to that position soon..... any advice to keep me sane is welcomed! i check BE whenever i can, but im stealing my neighbours internet and its a bit dicey!!!!

and if anyone wants to send me a Wah-mbulance, feel free!
Sorry to hear of your job situation.

Yes fruit, vegetables and bread are way more expensive here, haven't found a cheap place yet even farmers markets to me are major rip offs.
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:13 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

they are pretty nasty...but they are slightly better when stale, so leave them out and they get a bit crunchy...
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
they are pretty nasty...but they are slightly better when stale, so leave them out and they get a bit crunchy...
and here's the microwave tutorial and pics - complete with the chicken dance music:

http://www.wildcelticrose.net/lisasplace/peeps.html
Old Apr 29th 2007, 12:19 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

i bought lettuce yesterday from food lion, it cost $2.00! the same lettuce is £0.30 in the uk (i guess its not a high demand item here)
No but bags of mixed salad greens are way cheaper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.