Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:27 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

the ultimate bonus has to be not having to ever deal with USCIS again for GC/visa renewals etc lol
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
the ultimate bonus has to be not having to ever deal with USCIS again for GC/visa renewals etc lol
And no worries about some administration changing the rules and finding yoruself deportable.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:30 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Would that be the "Ultimate bonus" of not having to spend a few minutes every 10 years with them?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Seems like a fair enough explanation to me.
me too... absolutely no advantage to me whatsoever
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:33 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
me too... absolutely no advantage to me whatsoever
No advantage to me that I can think of either.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Plus the fact with children who are USC, there is never the worry that Mom will be deported and not allowed back in or goes back to [fill in the country] and gives up her residency and then gets hasseled at the border about immigration intent.

So you get to vote, that is a plus; you might get called to jury duty, I consider it a duty and obligation and am happy to service, if you don't, find a way to squirm out of it as most people do; you can apply for a job that requires top security or US citizenship; you pay less in inheritance taxes.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's an interesting characterization... what's cumbersome about the process?
I suppose you could call the wait lengthy, although the famous Ann Landers question comes to mind; yes it takes a year. What would you be a year from now if you didn't apply? IOW, the time is going to pass regardless.
I was just writing to someone who didn't realize he can be a dual citizen and in describing the oath ceremony I said it's a little hokey, but I still remember my mother's natz ceremony from the mid 70s, and my DH's was quite moving as well.
It might mean more to your family than you know.
Maybe it was the time and place. I entered in Phoenix but applied for USC in Arlington VA. With them losing my file, me having to take finger prins three times, and two interviews, the whole process took 18 months. However, the ceremoney was something else entirely and still 7 years on I get choked up when my kids do something patriotic with their schools or something.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:14 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Would that be the "Ultimate bonus" of not having to spend a few minutes every 10 years with them?
kind of like applying for nat then - not a huge process to go through and once done its final and doesnt have to be repeated.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

kind of like applying for nat then - not a huge process to go through and once done its final and doesnt have to be repeated.
I am happy to jury duty and I can't wait to vote. So bottom line then it was time and place for me that made it so lengthy and cumbersome. Whatever, it's done now and it's not like I had to give up being British.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Janek66
When I applied for citizenship (2000) they said you had to have been in the US for 5 years before applying, and be a resident of the state (where you are applying) for at least 3 months. Is it worth it? For me I would say no.
Like I said, when you can apply and be accepted depends on how one gets into the US.

Those who here through marriage and still married at time of eligibility can apply 3 years minus 90 days of receiving the greencard, and it's 90 days, not 3 months.

Those in the US armed forces that are posted on active duty can apply straight away, those who get killed will be given it posthumous straight away etc.

Anyway, the wiki already goes into many of the pro and cons....but the biggest one would be, especially if you've got kids here, you don't have to worry about immigration changes down the line that'll bar you from being in the US for whatever reason. Also if you've eligible to get a US pension, only USC's can have it deposited abroad....and you get much better tax breaks on inheritance, well kids will when you carp it.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

Wouldn't need to be at the price, would it? I'll be happy to see them every 10years.
Different things for different people, to me it's a pointless exercise.