Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Passport name different to GC

Passport name different to GC

Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport name different to GC

Hi, sorry if this has been answered many times, I did try a search.

Basically, I've never gotten around to changing my passport name to my married name although my greencard & everything else are in my married name.
I've planned to change it for years but now I may need to travel back to UK this week (my 17 year old niece was killed in a car accident last night.)

Obviously I don't have time to change it now. I am assuming I'll need to take my marriage certificate to prove the name change, but will that be enough? Do I need anything else? Will it cause lots of hold-ups?

The other question I guess, is - do I book the ticket in my married name to match my greencard or my maiden name to match my passport?
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:38 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport name different to GC

Originally Posted by danfan
Hi, sorry if this has been answered many times, I did try a search.

Basically, I've never gotten around to changing my passport name to my married name although my greencard & everything else are in my married name.
I've planned to change it for years but now I may need to travel back to UK this week (my 17 year old niece was killed in a car accident last night.)

Obviously I don't have time to change it now. I am assuming I'll need to take my marriage certificate to prove the name change, but will that be enough? Do I need anything else? Will it cause lots of hold-ups?

The other question I guess, is - do I book the ticket in my married name to match my greencard or my maiden name to match my passport?
My condolences.

Book the ticket in your passport name and take your marriage certificate.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
My condolences.

Book the ticket in your passport name and take your marriage certificate.
Thanks Elvira. I'm glad I asked b/c I would have done it the other way around. Not thinking properly really.

Not sure if I can afford a ticket yet but trying to get organized just in case. My poor sister & mum are distraught.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:49 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Thanks Elvira. I'm glad I asked b/c I would have done it the other way around. Not thinking properly really.

Not sure if I can afford a ticket yet but trying to get organized just in case. My poor sister & mum are distraught.
Be sure to ask about compassionate/bereavement fares. Officially they do no longer exist, but supervisors have been known to make exceptions.

Last edited by Elvira; Oct 21st 2008 at 7:22 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your niece.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Be sure to ask about compassionate/bereavement fares. Officially they do no longer exist, but supervisors have been known to make exceptions.
Really sorry to read about your loss

Virgin are normally pretty good about that, and so is BA...especially about open date tickets where your not penalised for changing dates.

Changing the passport name, reading a thread a few days ago about the price drop, Dean, the consulate bloke mentioned that the price might go down a little bit more in the not to distant future because of the exchange rate. The consulate website is pretty good for that though, fill the form in, copy of wedding certificate and a wedge of money.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
Really sorry to read about your loss

Virgin are normally pretty good about that, and so is BA...especially about open date tickets where your not penalised for changing dates.

Changing the passport name, reading a thread a few days ago about the price drop, Dean, the consulate bloke mentioned that the price might go down a little bit more in the not to distant future because of the exchange rate. The consulate website is pretty good for that though, fill the form in, copy of wedding certificate and a wedge of money.
Thanks everyone. It's really bloody hard being thousands of miles away when something like this happens, isn't it?

Thanks re the heads up on passport prices going down again. I had actually filled out the form a while ago but lost it. When I re-printed it about a month or 2 ago they'd taken out the "Name change" option, so I was going to have to get the whole thing renewed and didn't bother. Kicking myself now as it would just save any potential hassle.