Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:20 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

Originally Posted by basementwaj
So i have been here for 18 months now, love it and don't plan on moving back to blighty.

BUT i also love being a British Citizen.

Can i go dual citizenship? Is it worth it? What are the benefits of being a US Citizen (apart from voting)?

I wouldn't exactly describe voting as "a benefit" lol wooooo I can vote! biiig deal.

Right now I don't think it's likely that I'll actually ever bother with applying for USC, but (before everyone on the website denounces me again as the devil for saying such an awful thing) I think the decision is exactly that, a personal one.
Got to weigh the pros and cons up and decide if it's for you.
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

pabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura aboutpabby has a spectacular aura about

When can one apply for US Citizenship?
Old Oct 15th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

Originally Posted by Dan725
Yes.

Biggest benefits - come and go as you please without any further interference, ever. Not being treated like a second class citizen like you are with a GC (maybe not openly....but you are a second class citizen as a GC holder).
This is true. As a new USC, I now have real power
Old Oct 15th 2008, 11:36 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light
Red face Re: Is it worth my becoming a citizen?

IM with you EnglishinFL
Im a GC holder and have no plans to change.

Pabby- I believe you can apply for citizenship after 3 years if your married to a US citizen and 5 years if you are not married to one.

Callowman-Happy to be an Alien....
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Hello to all, I'm new on this website....finding it a bit confusing so far, but wanted to add my two penneth to this thread.
I just got my US citizenship on 23rd September, lived in USA for 12 years and to be honest I'm wondering now if I did the right thing
I was fine as a greencard holder, and really only applied to be a USC incase I have to go for lengthy periods to UK look after ailing parents/in-laws, nevertheless I can't help feeling a bit like I've rejected a long time friend, even though I know I do still retain UK citizenship....it's sort of like I'm 'two-timing'.

Anyway now I have citizenship, so be it BUT my dilemma is this. Travelling from US for, say 2 weeks..... when leaving America I have to show US passport, correct? Upon entering UK border control, do I show my British passport? If I do, then there will be no stamp on it, nor on US passport, so upon returning back into USA am I going to be questioned why I have nothing stamped to show where I have been?
Please, if anyone knows or has been down this path, let me know what I should do,
Thank You,
Liz
Old Oct 16th 2008, 12:53 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
The only thing stopping me right now is the damn $675 they want. Forms are all filled in, evidence is all correct, money is missing!
That's precisely another reason to try to scrape the money together to do it. We've seen a dramatic increase recently in the fees associated with petitions and applications. There's no telling how much they're going to try to charge in a couple of years for a citizenship application or to renew a ten year greencard!

~SG
Old Oct 16th 2008, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
when leaving America I have to show US passport, correct? Upon entering UK border control, do I show my British passport? If I do, then there will be no stamp on it, nor on US passport, so upon returning back into USA am I going to be questioned why I have nothing stamped to show where I have been?
Please, if anyone knows or has been down this path, let me know what I should do,
Thank You,
Liz
Use the passport of the Country you are in at the time, whether departing or arriving. You are correct about the lack of stamp, so if it becomes an issue with immigration, just inform them you have dual nationality. That should be enough for them , but if it isn't just politely remind them what is written on page 7 of the US passport, and page 3 of the UK passport (new biometric versions) regarding dual citizens, and the agreement between both countries.

I think some of us may have that "guilty look" (which may arouse suspicion / prompt futher questioning) when there is absolutely no need to.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 3:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33
That should be enough for them , but if it isn't just politely remind them what is written on page 7 of the US passport, and page 3 of the UK passport (new biometric versions) regarding dual citizens, and the agreement between both countries.
There is no "agreement" on dual citizenship.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

My British Passport expired in 1995, I've never found the need to have two passports. I manage quite well with just the US passport.
Renewing the British Pp is waste of $265 in my opinion. Would you seriously hand over $265 to get through immigration a few minutes quicker?

If the Brit PP is such a big deal, just move back there and have done with it..
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by surly
My British Passport expired in 1995, I've never found the need to have two passports. I manage quite well with just the US passport.
Renewing the British Pp is waste of $265 in my opinion. Would you seriously hand over $265 to get through immigration a few minutes quicker?

If the Brit PP is such a big deal, just move back there and have done with it..
What does that have to do with the OP's original question?
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "agreement" on dual citizenship.
Legally, no there is no agreement... poorly worded on my part.

There are however, no penalties either country will enforce for holding two passports as far as entering and leaving those same countries, providing it is done on the correct passport. I have yet to have a problem with this.

Here is what is written in both passports:

UK
"A person having some connection with a commonwealth or foreign country (eg by descent by either parent, by marriage, or by residence) may be a national of that country, in addition to being a British national. Acquisition of british nationality or citizenship by a foreigner does not necessarily cause the loss of national origin."

US
"A person who has citizenship of more than one country at the same time is considered a dual citizen. A dual citizen may be subject to the laws of the other country that considers that person its citizen, while in that country's jurisdiction..//..Dual citizens who encounter problems abroad should contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate".

Admittedly not an "agreement", but by the same token, an acknowledgement which is hardly discouraging.

Last edited by Scott33; Oct 16th 2008 at 4:22 am.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
What does that have to do with the OP's original question?
If you're in love with your British passport it might be a good idea to live where it is more beneficial to hold a British Passport.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you're in love with your British passport it might be a good idea to live where it is more beneficial to hold a British Passport.
You've still not answered my question...what did your post have to do with the OP's original question.

FWIW I didn't take the decision to become a USC lightly...I struggled with the decision for many years.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 16th 2008 at 4:26 am.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You've still not answered my question...what did your post have to do with the OP's original question.

FWIW I didn't take the decision to become a USC lightly...I struggled with the decision for many years.
No point in arguing with a mod that will ban you if they don't like the answer.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 4:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

No point in arguing with a mod that will ban you if they don't like the answer.
As far as I'm concerned your slate is clean...what's in the past stays in the past. Besides you're a proud Jag owner aren't you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.