Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why did you decide to live in America?

Why did you decide to live in America?

Old Mar 16th 2007, 8:59 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you decide to live in America?

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Oh, I'm sorry. Let me know how I can make up the 0.4 seconds of your life I cruelly wasted by forcing you to read that repeated statement.

Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:00 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
OK positive things about living here:-

- Big, wide parking spaces and a lot of them so even I can park.

- Bigger homes, open plan homes

- Air-conditioning (why the UK still don't have it )

- Mexican food

- Wide motorways easy to get around, not many small winding roads

- Shops open late, past 6pm (UK still quite rare) can go shopping and to the library after dinner

- Decent steaks, hamburgers (very hard to get a bad one here though haven't had a good one in the UK) and coffee (though later has only been found to me in Seattle)

- People more open and pleasant upon first meeting them

- cars and (minivans cheaper) have more cupholders and gadgets on them

- where I have lived, in all have felt very safe walking going places at night..maybe due to late night opening of shops?

- Don't walk down streets where I live and have drunken loud-mouth 18yr olds throwing up at your feet. Though I know downtown etc does happen. Suppose America is so big and the UK relatively small why you come across more in the UK.
I agree with EVERYTHING you have written.

That's exactly the stuff I wanted to hear. Thanks Irn Bru.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

There was a really long thread a while back called "things you like about the USA" (or similar)... you might want to search for that for a lot more posts like that one.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

OK positive things about living here:-

- Big, wide parking spaces and a lot of them so even I can park.

- Bigger homes, open plan homes

- Air-conditioning (why the UK still don't have it )

- Mexican food

- Wide motorways easy to get around, not many small winding roads

- Shops open late, past 6pm (UK still quite rare) can go shopping and to the library after dinner

- Decent steaks, hamburgers (very hard to get a bad one here though haven't had a good one in the UK) and coffee (though later has only been found to me in Seattle)

- People more open and pleasant upon first meeting them

- cars and (minivans cheaper) have more cupholders and gadgets on them

- where I have lived, in all have felt very safe walking going places at night..maybe due to late night opening of shops?

- Don't walk down streets where I live and have drunken loud-mouth 18yr olds throwing up at your feet. Though I know downtown etc does happen. Suppose America is so big and the UK relatively small why you come across more in the UK.
OMG - let's take this in order:

- parallel parking is skill that is easy to acquire; in any case, there is little need for it in the UK given the fact that there is such a thing as public transport.

- bigger homes - who needs them? Clutter fills the space available, plus more cleaning.

- the climate in Britain is so much more temperate; I really don't see a need for air conditioning just for a few really hot days each year.

- Mexican food??? I'll take a curry and a decent F&C any day.

- those small winding country roads are lovely - AND less scary than your average freeway here.

- not sure when you were last in Blighty, but supermarkets are generfally open till 8 or 9 pm. Anyway, the longer the shops stay open, the more $$$ one is likely to waste on stuff one doesn't need. (I wasn't aware that shopping is a recreational pursuit until I moved here...)

- I've never hada problem getting decent steaks and coffee in the UK; as for hamburgers, they can keep them.

- people MAY be more open an pleasant initially, but real connections are hard to establish; I have had more meaningful conversations with old ladies at bus-stops in London than with supposed 'friends' here...

- cars with cupholders and gadgets??? You ARE taking the mick, right??? (And the minivan we bought was MORE expensive - and less classy and more thirsty) than my lovely Peugeot 806...)

- I lived in London most of my life and NEVER felt unsafe - even though I would often take the bus or tube back from the West End late at night.

- no problems with louts throwing up in the street where I lived (Putney), though I'm sure it happens in some places. But then again, there are some REALLY rough neighbourhoods in US cities - WAY more dangerous than anywhere in the UK bar Moss Side...

F***ing Hell, now I'm really homesick!!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

I think most of that's true too.

One thing though about motorways, why are the on ramps so short?? You have to reach 70mph in about 3 seconds or you end up smashed to pieces or stuck on the off ramp & in a big loop

Oh, I promise. No more negatives.

Roland, did you get married here or in UK? We were going to get married in UK but when I was here once on VWP, we went to the INS to find out what to do. Basically they advised marrying here while I was on the VWP so I could stay here. I got an attorney just in case that caused a problem, but it was all pretty smooth. Much easier than waiting years for the visa to come through!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:15 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Me? I moved to get away from all the "gingas"!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:16 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
There was a really long thread a while back called "things you like about the USA" (or similar)... you might want to search for that for a lot more posts like that one.
This one's better:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=3338.0

Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

An American friend of mine was telling me a few weeks ago that she yearns to go and live in Germany where they were stationed a few years ago because of the fact that everything in their town shut down on Sundays and people could spend some real family time instead of hitting the malls like they do since they've been back.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

- parallel parking is skill that is easy to acquire; in any case, there is little need for it in the UK given the fact that there is such a thing as public transport.

- bigger homes - who needs them? Clutter fills the space available, plus more cleaning.

- the climate in Britain is so much more temperate; I really don't see a need for air conditioning just for a few really hot days each year.

- those small winding country roads are lovely - AND less scary than your average freeway here.

- not sure when you were last in Blighty, but supermarkets are generfally open till 8 or 9 pm. Anyway, the longer the shops stay open, the more $$$ one is likely to waste on stuff one doesn't need. (I wasn't aware that shopping is a recreational pursuit until I moved here...)

- I've never hada problem getting decent steaks and coffee in the UK; as for hamburgers, they can keep them.

- people MAY be more open an pleasant initially, but real connections are hard to establish; I have had more meaningful conversations with old ladies at bus-stops in London than with supposed 'friends' here...

- cars with cupholders and gadgets??? You ARE taking the mick, right??? (And the minivan we bought was MORE expensive - and less classy and more thirsty) than my lovely Peugeot 806...)

- I lived in London most of my life and NEVER felt unsafe - even though I would often take the bus or tube back from the West End late at night.

- no problems with louts throwing up in the street where I lived (Putney), though I'm sure it happens in some places. But then again, there are some REALLY rough neighbourhoods in US cities - WAY more dangerous than anywhere in the UK bar Moss Side...

Well said Elvira, cant karma you, already had some today ain't you Sorry Irn Bru, we all see thing's different.

Last edited by britvic; Mar 16th 2007 at 9:31 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:29 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

sorry I didn't mean to make you homesick!

I knew you would have a 'problem' with my post
The OP was wanting a positive thread about what we like here as there have been many negative ones. You know when a negative one comes up I can moan with the best of them
But to pick up on some points I know you are from a posh happening place in the UK

I'm not and unless you live in downtown Glasgow, you do get shops shut early, horrible steaks (unless you pay the earth)

When we were last in the UK a year and a half ago the dodge caravan (chrysler I think) was way more expensive there, I loved it here and it was the same price as a good car. But my point was more I love the number of cupholders here as in the UK we never seemed to get cars with more than one.

When you go into Tesco car park you can't parallel park and the parking spaces are so narrow it's hard to open your door.

I don't like curry (apart from tikka masala) sorry I love Mexican food

Driving to Morton-in marsh to see my MIL and suddenly meeting a car on one of those narrow lanes and I have to back up to me does seem dangerous

Don't know how but maybe open plan and bigger homes here, I clean far more easily than my cramped 3 bed semi in Britain (strange but true)

And I hate hot weather and strangely enough have survived a lot better in 2 hot places and here cause of AC than in the UK. Though as I hate heat I'd say it was more like 3 months that was unbearable to me in the UK

But everyones experience is different and I know there are quite a few hate it here and I understand but some of us do like it here as well.
To each their own
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Well said Elvira, cant karma you, already had some today ain't you Sorry Iron Brew, we all see thing's different.
Yes

Originally Posted by danfan
I think most of that's true too.

One thing though about motorways, why are the on ramps so short?? You have to reach 70mph in about 3 seconds or you end up smashed to pieces or stuck on the off ramp & in a big loop

Oh, I promise. No more negatives.
I can be very negative about other driving experiences here as well as how homes are built and a load more moans but it was a positive thread and I do feel a lot of positive things about the US as well
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:32 pm
Militant Ginger

but some of us do like it here as well.
I just thought it would be nice to look positively on things. It's very easy to moan (it's the human condition.)

Just thought of another one. Pumpkin scented candles.

Man, I love 'em.

Barbeques. without the rain.

Ice in drinks.

Decent scrambled eggs.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Decent scrambled eggs.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:40 pm

I just thought it would be nice to look positively on things. It's very easy to moan (it's the human condition.)

Just thought of another one. Pumpkin scented candles.

Man, I love 'em.

Barbeques. without the rain.

Ice in drinks.

Decent scrambled eggs.
It is and sometimes it's good to look at the positive things here when you are a tiny bit homesick as it may remind you why you 1st came here or help even (unless you really hate it here)

love yankee candle but you can get them in the UK now

yes less rain when doing outdoor activities (though since I am in Seattle I should shut up here )

ice in drinks (my mum still gives me warm diet soda and never has ice if I'm lucky I get one lump!)

2-3 car integral garages and garage door openers..
(could never afford equivalent at home) lovely pressing a button door opens and you can unload car without getting wet etc!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 9:41 pm
Homebody

sorry I didn't mean to make you homesick...........
Don't be sorry - these days it doesn't take much to set me off...

I'm sure if 9/11 and all that followed hadn't happened, and if Shrub had'nt been (re-???) elected, I wouldn't feel quite so despondent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.