British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Why did you decide to live in America? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/why-did-you-decide-live-america-434883/)

Roland Hulme Mar 15th 2007 5:17 pm

Why did you decide to live in America?

Could be a lot of reasons - marriage, job or whatever...

But why the USA and not Britain?

For me, there are a lot of reasons. My (American) wife is just amazing and her eccentric American ways are one of the reasons why I love her.

I just adore New York. It's the most amazing city in the world (and that comes from a guy who lived in Paris for 4 years.)

Americans have always been kinder, more curious and less judgemental than British people I've known. With my posh accent, ginger hair and glasses, I got a LOT of shit for MANY years in England. Never experienced ANY prejudice in America.

The Martini cocktail. A reason in itself.

The countryside. New Jersey's traditionally a dump, but once you get out of the city, it's BEAUTIFUL. Forests and rolling hills. Beautiful wooden houses. It's simply stunning - the Garden State.

The opportunities to make a living there are much more exciting than in England. And for what you can get dollar-for-dollar, you've got a higher quality of life in America. In Winchester, a two bedroomed terraced house is £200,000. For $200,000 you can buy a three bed detached house with a garden in more rural parts of New Jersey - and still be an hour from the city.

Nathans hot dogs, Sam Adams beer, Lays potato chips, buffalo wings, angels on horseback, Martini cocktails, Californian Zinfandel.

The 'Knight Rider' car I dreamed of as a kid sells 2nd hand for about $1,500 here.

You can get a drink after 11pm. And steak at 4am.

You're less likely to be mugged in the centre of New York city than in the City Centre of Portsmouth.

Jade Goody is not on television.

The list goes on...

Why did YOU come to America? Was it marriage? Work? Why did you choose the USA instead of sticking at home? What is it you love about America?:eek:

DollyLlama Mar 15th 2007 5:18 pm

Re: Why did you decide to live in America?

Is this for your University project as well? :rofl:

Roland Hulme Mar 15th 2007 5:21 pm

I'm surprised there hasn't been another thread about it. We all talk about what we miss from England etc... But obviously America is a choice we've all had to make (however difficult.)

I'm just curious to know why.

Plus, my wife gets a lot of Anti American crap here in England, so it's nice to focus on things people LIKE about America instead of assuming all Americans are bible beating Bushites.

Even Bush isn't a bible beating Bushite. I'd better put that disclaimer in there. Don't want to get political!:blink:

Jerseygirl Mar 15th 2007 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 4522135)
Is this for your University project as well? :rofl:

Nice one. :rofl:

DollyLlama Mar 15th 2007 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4522141)
Nice one. :rofl:

couldn't resist :o

Jerseygirl Mar 15th 2007 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 4522140)
I'm surprised there hasn't been another thread about it. We all talk about what we miss from England etc... But obviously America is a choice we've all had to make (however difficult.)

Plus, my wife gets a lot of Anti American crap here in England, so it's nice to focus on things people LIKE about America instead of assuming all Americans are bible beating Bushites.

Even Bush isn't a bible beating Bushite. I'd better put that disclaimer in there. Don't want to get political!:blink:

I was just going to ask you how long you've lived here but it seems you are in the UK. :unsure:

Don't know where you have seen detached houses for sale for $200K + garden...or what condition they are in. An acre of empty land around here would cost double that.

Britgal Mar 15th 2007 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by DollyLlama (Post 4522135)
Is this for your University project as well?

:rofl: :rofl: Reading this comment - with your avatar - just made me crack-up :rofl: :rofl: great sense of humour :rofl: :rofl:

DollyLlama Mar 15th 2007 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Britgal (Post 4522155)
Reading this comment - with your avatar - just made me crack-up :rofl: :rofl: great sense of humour :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks ;)

Roland Hulme Mar 15th 2007 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 4522148)
I was just going to ask you how long you've lived here but it seems you are in the UK. :unsure:

Don't know where you have seen detached houses for sale for $200K + garden...or what condition they are in. An acre of empty land around here would cost double that.

We're IN THE PROCESS of moving out there. It's been a long journey. From application to holding my green card in my hand took three and a half YEARS.

When I was last out there, in October, I was looking at property magazines around Somerville/Flemington and they advertised 3 beds for $199,999...

But Tina (my missus) suggested they weren't in nice neighbourhoods.

Although they were nicer (and safer) than Portsmouth!:eek:

Jerseygirl Mar 15th 2007 5:36 pm

Really...you obviously aren't familiar with the search facility above.

danfan Mar 15th 2007 5:37 pm

Ultimately marriage brought me here. The decision on why USA & not UK wasn't because I prefer it here (I don't) - I never even thought of living here before because I love England & if I was going to emmigrate anywhere it would have been a Greek island or something totally different.

The main decision was made because my husband & I were both single parents. He had 2 boys that were older than my 1 daughter & we felt it would be easier for her to adjust at such a young age than it would be for them.

Secondly, we could afford a much bigger house here than we could there. We would have been cramped into a small terraced house in England for what we paid here.

Lastly, I knew my husband & the boys would have a harder time being accepted in England than we would here. You're right - the Brits are far meaner about the yanks than vice versa. I'm not sure how much people would actually display the anti-American attitude towards him so it's wasn't a major factor, but it was part of it.

Jerseygirl Mar 15th 2007 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 4522171)
We're IN THE PROCESS of moving out there. It's been a long journey. From application to holding my green card in my hand took three and a half YEARS.

When I was last out there, in October, I was looking at property magazines around Somerville/Flemington and they advertised 3 beds for $199,999...

Thought as much :rofl:

Seriously...visiting and living in a place are two entirely different things.

danfan Mar 15th 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 4522171)

Move to PA - we bought a 4 bedroom, 4 acres with a lake for less than that. Admittedly it needs a lot of work - but I've noticed Americans would rather buy a new house with no maintenance than anything "old" (ie over 20 years!) so houses that needs work tends to be a bargain, IMO.

Texas Mom Mar 15th 2007 5:41 pm

Quote : "With my posh accent, ginger hair and glasses, I got a LOT of shit for MANY years in England. Never experienced ANY prejudice in America."

That's so funny, not that you got slagged. But all the Americans love ginger hair. My friend has a three month old and she is praying that she gets red hair. I told her that in the UK the kid would be ridiculed and she doesn't believe me, I will need to show her this!

danfan Mar 15th 2007 5:41 pm

Beautiful wooden houses

LOL Just wait. In a few years, you'll be pining for brick & cursing that the houses are made of plywood & plasterboard! :rofl: