Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Why did you decide to live in America?

Why did you decide to live in America?

Old Mar 15th 2007, 7:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you decide to live in America?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
And you keep saying we don't know how to drive!
Not me - you are confusing me with someone else!

I am continually amazed at the way American drivers manage to weave in and out of traffic, skip across multiple lanes and drive at a safe distance of 3.4 yards!

Not to mention all that multi-tasking - talking on the phone, eating a burger AND drinking hot coffee - all this while changing the kids DVD and programming the GPS...

I think all that takes a tremendous amount of skill
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:02 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I'm surprised there hasn't been another thread about it. We all talk about what we miss from England etc...
There have been LOADS of threads on this if you search for them..but granted probably hasn't been one for about a month
So is this a must be positive thread? then it would be slightly different
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:05 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Not me - you are confusing me with someone else!

I am continually amazed at the way American drivers manage to weave in and out of traffic, skip across multiple lanes and drive at a safe distance of 3.4 yards!

Not to mention all that multi-tasking - talking on the phone, eating a burger AND drinking hot coffee - all this while changing the kids DVD and programming the GPS...

I think all that takes a tremendous amount of skill

You also forgot the skill and nerve it requires for said drivers to then blame the person who is stopped at the red light for the accident when they rear end them!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:06 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

My sister in law last week was amazed that I don't walk down to the grocery store but instead drive. Can you believe it?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:07 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Irn-bru
There have been LOADS of threads on this if you search for them..but granted probably hasn't been one for about a month
So is this a must be positive thread? then it would be slightly different
Loads, that reminded me, I'm on my very last load.....the kids went away for 3 days but you'd think it was 3 months the amount of blooming clothing I have had to wash since then....
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:08 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Loads, that reminded me, I'm on my very last load.....the kids went away for 3 days but you'd think it was 3 months the amount of blooming clothing I have had to wash since then....
And the very idea of using the same towel twice...
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:09 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the clorox - 1 part water to 5 parts clorox to make sure you aren't wearing any grime.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

lmfao. treadmill is for those too lazy to drive to the park and WALK. Treadmills are for those that havent got enough furniture to fit into the house. treadmills are great status symbols, u can walk on them and have some where to lay ur burger and coke on for the rest stops, and watch tv too. u dont even have to get dressed. let it wobble for 8 miles. Me though, i drive 2 miles to the park, walk 8, drive 2 miles back stopping at the donut shop, get home lay on the couch, watching bbc america see what some sod managed to buy at some jumk shop and flog for hundreds. and still not lose any weight. DAMN.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Don't forget the clorox - 1 part water to 5 parts clorox to make sure you aren't wearing any grime.
shite. just had to start the wash again forgot half bottle of bleach .. BUGGER,
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

The houses are so crap here, that 20 years is probably the maximum time before it needs major work to be done to it. One reason why so many Americans move into newer homes all the time.
LOL well true enough. I do actually have some brick though
Old Mar 15th 2007, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme

Lays potato chips, Californian Zinfandel.

There's a couple items that don't belong in the same sentence...
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:12 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

'walk'

Isn't that something you do on a treadmill?
its something we do around the block here and boy does it ever get some strange looks.

We came because I got offered a good job because I work in a niche market, and the only other option would have been a move to the south of England (been there, done that, its crap). OH still can't work which does her nut and mine in Other than that its great, cheaper standard of living IMHO, theres no way could have afforded the size of house we have here back in Britain
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Me? I moved to get away from all the "gingas"!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hey wotchit!!!! my bitch from hell number one has red hair. She looks actually quite pretty with it. got the glasses too. A real joe 90 just the female version. Just wished she was as smart as he was.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:21 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

And the very idea of using the same towel twice...
that has to be American mentality...I was brought up to change towels and bedding weekly...though I probably do it more here must be living here too long
or am I just a filthy imp and everyone does it more often

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.