Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This USA forum is harsh....

Wikiposts

This USA forum is harsh....

Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:54 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This USA forum is harsh....

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
OMG yes they are brutal in there, I go and read occasionally, but I'm afraid to post there LOL.
People come here and want to hear that what they want to do is perfectly fine and easy and legal, they don't like being told the truth about immigration to the US. There really is no special relationship, we are all foreigners in this country, and the US doesn't want or need them. It's just the way it is.
Or as I hear in the US often (and hate) It is what it is.
Most of the banter in TIO is in good fun though, you have to be able to take back what you dish out though. That's not harsh as much as it is good old fashioned piss-taking.

To be honest, and I've only been here 2 years, I've never seen anything 'harsh' in this section of the forum, or the US immigration ones. Curt, brutally honest, straight to the point - yes. Harsh - not if you ask me, no.

There's a lot of untruth surrounding US Immigration (land of opportunity my knob, unless you like shovelling shit for crap pay and no vacation time), and so people get their hopes way too high and just can't accept that in two seconds their entire dream has come crashing down to earth because they don't meet an entry criterion. A bit of independent research beforehand could have revealed to them that they were barking up the wrong tree.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
My thought is, this is just like any other forum.

You join, you search it out to see if the question is asked before, before posting.

It's common courtesy.

People have contributed a lot of time and effort to help others and they're more willing to help those who at least help themselves. This is a major life changing decision after all and not something as trivial as what brand of peanuts one should consider buying.

The wiki has also been built up over time, by a lot of people. It answers many of the basic questions, for questions that get asked repeatedly, often questions that can be found on the first page or two.

If people can't even be arsed to look down the first page at the very least, then they should expect some people to get a little arsey in return.

It's just the nature of forums.
As a mod could you not just direct any new thread asking the regularly posted Q's to the Wiki rather than start a new thread in the forum ?

I mean the ones along the of " I want to live in America how can I go about it , My Dads 2nd cousin lived there for 3 years two decades ago , will that help"

If people are too lazy to do a bit of research and reading , oh well too bad for them.

BTW : This is by far the most civilized forum I've been on..

Last edited by Englishman43; Oct 17th 2011 at 4:59 am.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In that case, I'd like a refund
Me too!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:26 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
OP - I agree, this is a harsh forum, bordering on downright rude and aggressive some of the time. Also one of the Mods on here, not mentioning names, sets a very low bar they they fail to achieve when it comes to civility.

It's one of the reasons I don't come on here very often, it's just not a terribly inviting place to hang out and is, er, somewhat parochial.
Its OK ... that one died ...

but you came back 669 times
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Its OK ... that one died ...

but you came back 669 times
Well, I don't really know what to make of your post, truly I don't!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't really know what to make of your post, truly I don't!
Now it's 670 ...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the banter in TIO is in good fun though, you have to be able to take back what you dish out though. That's not harsh as much as it is good old fashioned piss-taking.

To be honest, and I've only been here 2 years, I've never seen anything 'harsh' in this section of the forum, or the US immigration ones. Curt, brutally honest, straight to the point - yes. Harsh - not if you ask me, no.

There's a lot of untruth surrounding US Immigration (land of opportunity my knob, unless you like shovelling shit for crap pay and no vacation time), and so people get their hopes way too high and just can't accept that in two seconds their entire dream has come crashing down to earth because they don't meet an entry criterion. A bit of independent research beforehand could have revealed to them that they were barking up the wrong tree.
Seems like a good opportunity to revive this.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:52 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Seems like a good opportunity to revive this.
I think that is a very good idea
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egon
Yet some will make two, three, four threads with the same question hoping to somehow get an answer they prefer on the next attempt.
Or...

Something along the lines of "I have been desperate to move to the USA since I was a kid...I love the lifestyle, culture, food, people...etc". However, a quick search of prior posts reveal 5 duplicate threads in 5 different sub-forums, with only the name of the country changed. No harm in that of course, but there is (or should be) a difference between having a desire to move to a country, and a desire to move from the UK. The latter is what many posters really want to do, which may often account for the poor assumptions on US immigration policy versus the EU.

Last edited by Scott33; Oct 17th 2011 at 7:19 am.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:50 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scott33
Or...

Something along the lines of "I have been desperate to move to the USA since I was a kid...I love the lifestyle, culture, food, people...etc". However, a quick search of prior posts reveal 5 duplicate threads in 5 different sub-forums, with only the name of the country changed. No harm in that of course, but there is (or should be) a difference between having a desire to move to a country, and a desire to move from the UK. The latter is what many posters really want to do, which may often account for the poor assumptions on US immigration policy versus the EU.
Perhaps we should have "I want to move from the UK and don't care where" forum.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:19 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

OP - I agree, this is a harsh forum, bordering on downright rude and aggressive some of the time. Also one of the Mods on here, not mentioning names, sets a very low bar that they fail to achieve when it comes to civility.
Ohhh...gets interesting...well if you have issues, pm Sue about them, even if it's me you think is the miserable sod as she's lovely and very approachable.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:22 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Meauxna aint a mod no moar. Nor is Rete.

This guy had fantastic hair.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:25 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of harsh, missus works with some chap who is a part timer at a fastfood joint, which follows the state minimum law to the letter, which meant he has had absolutely zero holiday and sick time off in 3 years since working there because he couldn't afford to take any unpaid time off, because those folks tend not to come back. Bit sad that.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Englishman43
As a mod could you not just direct any new thread asking the regularly posted Q's to the Wiki rather than start a new thread in the forum ?

I mean the ones along the of " I want to live in America how can I go about it , My Dads 2nd cousin lived there for 3 years two decades ago , will that help"

If people are too lazy to do a bit of research and reading , oh well too bad for them.

BTW : This is by far the most civilized forum I've been on..
No way to automate it....would take way to much time to manually do this I think....plus there is a big red sticky that does say read me, in big letters, which lays out the basics and links to a lot of the very basic first steps and questions in the wiki.

We all know people don't read manuals, FAQ's or any stickied posts though....
Old Oct 17th 2011, 9:32 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Bob
Speaking of harsh, missus works with some chap who is a part timer at a fastfood joint, which follows the state minimum law to the letter, which meant he has had absolutely zero holiday and sick time off in 3 years since working there because he couldn't afford to take any unpaid time off, because those folks tend not to come back. Bit sad that.
That's just lovely, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.