Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This USA forum is harsh....

Wikiposts

This USA forum is harsh....

Old Oct 17th 2011, 12:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This USA forum is harsh....

Originally Posted by Bob

Indeed
Jump to it then...chop chop.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
No. I am saying Stalin had nice hair. There is no connection. I just needed to share that picture.
Thank you for sharing
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
Oh, I see, so you have to take the time to type out that you bothered to search the site before you post, before you can expect an answer to your the question in a civil way...good to know will keep that in mind.
Some one has to show that they can be arsed to at least do some of their own research if they expect help.

Why would they expect anyone else to hold their hands other wise?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:43 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I see, so you have to take the time to type out that you bothered to search the site before you post, before you can expect an answer to your the question in a civil way...good to know will keep that in mind.
What's with the attitude? It's this kind of scathing sarcasm that stops me from frequenting this site more. Stop making BE a hostile place.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:51 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Spend the next two weeks answering politely every post asking a stupid question and see how soon you get fed up
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

WVDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nethead
I agree, but some people do come across as self satisfied and smug. It's like getting into the US is an exclusive club. I got here but you can't nah nah na na nah, which is how it sounds at times.
Can't help but agree totally with this posters point. I joined the forum a few years ago when I needed some advice regarding my overstay on a VW.

I remember posting three years ago (I think), and whilst the replies were not aggressive as such I got the distinct impression that a few of the people who replied were almost smugly typing that I had overstayed my visa and I had no chance of staying in the country (Conditional permanent resident now btw). Almost like revelling in other people's misfortune.

I did get a private message from a very nice member basically explaining that people who immigrate via the VW program were somewhat seemed to have jumped the queue and that fact alone annoys people who went through a different longer process.

Either way, I was taken back a little but the forum still offers helpful advice, you just need to be willing to accept some-peoples somewhat vitriolic attitude to your situation.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:41 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can't you do it Bob...surely you've got nothing better to do?
It's EXACTLY that sort of sarcastic attitude which is so off putting for newbies and irregular users.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Spend the next two weeks answering politely every post asking a stupid question and see how soon you get fed up
Maybe it's just me, but I actually enjoy helping other people out and giving them the benefit of my experience. If you find it such a chore, perhaps you ought to just say nothing instead.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
It's EXACTLY that sort of sarcastic attitude which is so off putting for newbies and irregular users.
You'll love this then -

Old Oct 17th 2011, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Some one has to show that they can be arsed to at least do some of their own research if they expect help.

Why would they expect anyone else to hold their hands other wise?
Many people have actually found this forum through using Google, so it seems a little unfair to criticise them for doing no research once they get here. And as another poster mentioned earlier, it can be quite intimidating and overwhelming to try and navigate a new forum for answers. I notice the concierges rarely seem to appear in the forum - shouldn't they be the ones to "hold their hands" when newbies arrive, so why are they so invisible?
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:06 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Many people have actually found this forum through using Google, so it seems a little unfair to criticise them for doing no research once they get here. And as another poster mentioned earlier, it can be quite intimidating and overwhelming to try and navigate a new forum for answers. I notice the concierges rarely seem to appear in the forum - shouldn't they be the ones to "hold their hands" when newbies arrive, so why are they so invisible?
The concierges work very hard in The Welcome Inn which is where many newbies find themselves at first. The concierges (and mods) welcome them and do indeed "hold their hands". They give them info about how to navigate the website, they point them in the direction of the forum they need and if necessary they move the newbie's original post into a more relevant place.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
The concierges work very hard in The Welcome Inn which is where many newbies find themselves at first. The concierges (and mods) welcome them and do indeed "hold their hands". They give them info about how to navigate the website, they point them in the direction of the forum they need and if necessary they move the newbie's original post into a more relevant place.
That as maybe. But what about a noob who posts, as many do, straight to the forum proper? All too often they seem to be treated with disdain rather than respect.

I think this thread has shown up some very interesting responses. It seems clear to me that there is an underlying element of sarcasm and smugness among a lot of the people who particpate. While it was clearly said in jest, tongue in cheek style, I can't help having a wry smile at the section of Ray's "How to..." which mentions "cliquey tossers that jump on newbies". It sums this place up perfectly.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:46 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

That as maybe. But what about a noob who posts, as many do, straight to the forum proper? All too often they seem to be treated with disdain rather than respect.

I think this thread has shown up some very interesting responses. It seems clear to me that there is an underlying element of sarcasm and smugness among a lot of the people who particpate. While it was clearly said in jest, tongue in cheek style, I can't help having a wry smile at the section of Ray's "How to..." which mentions "cliquey tossers that jump on newbies". It sums this place up perfectly.
You asked why the concierges are so invisible. I replied that they are not.

The amount of newbies, sarcasm and smugness that you say you find could also depend on which forums you frequent. Smaller forums are quieter with less newbies and therefore less of the same questions being asked time and time again.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's just me, but I actually enjoy helping other people out and giving them the benefit of my experience. If you find it such a chore, perhaps you ought to just say nothing instead.
Maybe you can help by putting your experience in the Wiki then. Or is it too much of a chore?

If you think that reply is harsh, have a think about your last few posts.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Maybe you can help by putting your experience in the Wiki then. Or is it too much of a chore?

If you think that reply is harsh, have a think about your last few posts.
For the record I ALWAYS link to my experience whenever I respond to somebody voicing a related query. And with respect, I wasn't aware that the wiki was open to everybody. But given that many newbies seem to overlook it anyway, I would question the relevance of posting there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.