Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

This USA forum is harsh....

This USA forum is harsh....

Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Scott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond reputeScott33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This USA forum is harsh....

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
If you don't have something constructive or helpful to say to the poster, then why not say nothing instead?
Preaching to the choir mate. 55 posts in 3.5 years of biting my lip.

However, a constructive post can be something on the lines of "you will not qualify for a visa". I don't see that as rude, but sometimes that is all it takes for it to kick off.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:05 pm
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bivlover
Giving people facts and truth is one thing, and it's very welcome, as far as I'm concerned. Being rude to them is another thing entirely.
I completely agree.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

"Dufus" is an acronym for "Dumb ugly f**ked up soldier". I don't really see how using that word, to describe a person on an internet forum you know next to nothing about, equates to showing respect. But then again, people are a diverse bunch and we all have different standards for ourselves, and for what we expect of others.

In any case, I wasn't specifically referring to what you said, Boiler - it was more a general plea for people to be respectful.

Look, to me it's perfectly simple. If one doesn't like what someone has posted, or finds it boring, or one is jaded by having the same conversation over and over again, JUST DON'T GET INVOLVED. Unless I missed something, participation in this forum is voluntary.

Let me put it another way. Say you move to a new town, and you try and meet your neighbours by going to community events and meetings. Many of them are friendly, but some of the more senior members shout at you and tell you not to say anything until you are fully familiar with all the town's byelaws and customs. They call you names and make you feel stupid every time you open your mouth. Kind of makes you regret moving there. That is often how this forum feels.
I googled it as I had never comes across that definition, it did not come up on the first few pages.

Interestingly most of the hits were whether it was a valid word for use in Scrabble.

I did not bother looking to see what the answer was.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I googled it as I had never comes across that definition, it did not come up on the first few pages.

Interestingly most of the hits were whether it was a valid word for use in Scrabble.

I did not bother looking to see what the answer was.
I've never heard of it used in that way either...only the way Ray described.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Look, to me it's perfectly simple. If one doesn't like what someone has posted, or finds it boring, or one is jaded by having the same conversation over and over again, JUST DON'T GET INVOLVED. Unless I missed something, participation in this forum is voluntary.
I couldn't agree more, but that goes both ways. If some of the replies being posted bother you, move on. Don't get involved. As you correctly stated, participation is voluntary.

But keep in mind that something one person may interpret as rude, may not necessarily be interpreted as rude by someone else. There is a very fine and sometimes blurry line between rudeness and brutal honesty - and people interpret things differently.

I have been on this board for a couple of years now, and have seen very few posts i would consider offensive made by the regulars. Brutal honesty, yes - but I never got a sense that anyone here relishes crushing someone's dream.

I like the board just the way it is - and I am not even a brit. Expat, yes - but not a british expat. Never been to the UK actually - but I digress. If this place ever changes into a place where everyone sits around singing kum-ba-ya and blow sunshine up someone's behind, I'm out of here.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by discoviking
I couldn't agree more, but that goes both ways. If some of the replies being posted bother you, move on. Don't get involved. As you correctly stated, participation is voluntary.

But keep in mind that something one person may interpret as rude, may not necessarily be interpreted as rude by someone else. There is a very fine and sometimes blurry line between rudeness and brutal honesty - and people interpret things differently.

I have been on this board for a couple of years now, and have seen very few posts i would consider offensive made by the regulars. Brutal honesty, yes - but I never got a sense that anyone here relishes crushing someone's dream.

I like the board just the way it is - and I am not even a brit. Expat, yes - but not a british expat. Never been to the UK actually - but I digress. If this place ever changes into a place where everyone sits around singing kum-ba-ya and blow sunshine up someone's behind, I'm out of here.
It's fine being honest but someone could easily say, "sorry there really isn't any chance of you getting into the US the way your planning on doing it"

Rather than, "Did you even bother to read the wiki? I'm sick of questions like this, stop wasting our time"

If I know the answer to something then I will give it, why spend my time on a forum telling people to look for answers on their own? It kinda makes the idea of posting pretty pointless. My brother didn't use this website for that exact reason.....Less traffic means less revenue. Mods should be on top of this more than they are because in the long run it costs the site money.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:02 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

May I be the first in this thread to tell all the whingers to f'eck off?

...in an entirely respectful and informative manner.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ja5on
It's fine being honest but someone could easily say, "sorry there really isn't any chance of you getting into the US the way your planning on doing it"

Rather than, "Did you even bother to read the wiki? I'm sick of questions like this, stop wasting our time"

If I know the answer to something then I will give it, why spend my time on a forum telling people to look for answers on their own? It kinda makes the idea of posting pretty pointless. My brother didn't use this website for that exact reason.....Less traffic means less revenue. Mods should be on top of this more than they are because in the long run it costs the site money.
So why don't you or some of the others who are complaining do just that? Stick around, welcome and help new members.

FYI mods donate their time to these forums.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
May I be the first in this thread to tell all the whingers to f'eck off?

...in an entirely respectful and informative manner.
Can you do that in every thread? Or is this just a one off?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
So why don't you or some of the others who are complaining do just that? Stick around, welcome and help new members.

FYI mods donate their time to these forums.
I understand that, I have stuck around and I do try to help out with questions that I know the answers to....But on the same side of people having a go at new people, if I give an answer that people don't agree with then I end up with a bunch of abuse.....

Someone asked about leaving debt in the UK and I told them there is no law stopping them doing it, I got a bunch of people giving me a hard time because they didn't like my opinion.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that, I have stuck around and I do try to help out with questions that I know the answers to....But on the same side of people having a go at new people, if I give an answer that people don't agree with then I end up with a bunch of abuse.....

Someone asked about leaving debt in the UK and I told them there is no law stopping them doing it, I got a bunch of people giving me a hard time because they didn't like my opinion.
But how do you know someone isn't going to have issues if they did that?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
But how do you know someone isn't going to have issues if they did that?
I gave information based on what I know and actions that I have taken in the past.....People make their own decisions. I was given a hard time about giving immoral advice.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:23 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Can you do that in every thread? Or is this just a one off?
I think my past record indicates that one may do this in every thread, but then the wingers whinge about it.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I gave information based on what I know and actions that I have taken in the past.....People make their own decisions. I was given a hard time about giving immoral advice.
The thing is, is that it may have worked for you, but not necessarily for someone else. Someone that reads it may take it as its the thing to do. And yes I know about the "immoral" advice, I suppose you can't get around something like that....
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbj1000
I think my past record indicates that one may do this in every thread, but then the wingers whinge about it.
Always something to whinge about, and you don't have to look very hard at all....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.