Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Oct 5th 2022, 12:13 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Ours is paying yo-yo in MS. Before Ian it was down to 3.03 a gallon and last Wednesday it jumped to $3.27. Today it is down to $3.13.
Old Oct 5th 2022, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Regular is down to $2.73 today.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Well, that seems to be the last of our sub $3 gallons. Cheapest I can find at the moment is $3.17.
Old Oct 15th 2022, 8:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It was $3.25G with the BJ's credit card this morning. It was $3.13G last week with their card.
Cumbies, down the street, with their discount card was $3.57G today.
Old Oct 16th 2022, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

PetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond reputePetrifiedExPat has a reputation beyond repute

~70 USD to fill the E350 with 93, get in!
Old Jul 26th 2023, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Regular unleaded has been stable-ish for a while. Currently at $3.19 at the local Murphy (Walmart).

There is a junction in town with a gas station on 3 of 4 corners. 1 is the Murphy station and there are a Exxon and Chevron on the other corners.

Murphy is currently $3.19 for regular but the other 2 are both $3.69. Diesel is similarly 50c a gallon more at both. How do they stay in business?
Old Jul 26th 2023, 6:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99
Regular unleaded has been stable-ish for a while. Currently at $3.19 at the local Murphy (Walmart).

There is a junction in town with a gas station on 3 of 4 corners. 1 is the Murphy station and there are a Exxon and Chevron on the other corners.

Murphy is currently $3.19 for regular but the other 2 are both $3.69. Diesel is similarly 50c a gallon more at both. How do they stay in business?
And the flip side to that question is, "Why is Murphy undercutting the others by so much?" Surely a 10¢-15¢ discount would be enough to attract the value conscious driver? ..... That said, part of the explanation is that if you have a Shell, BP, or Exxon (and presumably others) branded credit/ payment card, you're getting 12¢-15¢ off the sticker price anyway, and you're fairly likely to stick exclusively to that brand. I have a BP card and I am only occasionally attracted to the steep discount offered by BJ's.

The prices in my neck of the woods have been fairly flat and stable for much of this year, staying around 3.399 +/-10¢ across all the areas I drive through regularly.
Old Jul 26th 2023, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

We ask that exact same question - around here, we can get gas for $4:30 or so (Costco and a few independents), but Chevron and Exxon are typically $5:29 or so - a full dollar more. So that's $10 to $20 more per fill-up!

Some people have 'loyalty' deals, and get significant discounts on the 'list price'. Some gas 'chains' have 'corporate cards' that guarantee that certain customers keep returning. Then we have (eg) Pulaski who likes to treat his engine to nice gasoline - the equivalent perhaps of shopping at Whole Foods vs the Dollar store!
EDIT TO ADD: Pulaski's post wasn't there when I wrote this !
Old Jul 26th 2023, 6:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... Then we have (eg) Pulaski who likes to treat his engine to nice gasoline - the equivalent perhaps of shopping at Whole Foods vs the Dollar store!
EDIT TO ADD: Pulaski's post wasn't there when I wrote this !
In NC and into neighbouring states, and beyond, on the East Coast, there is rarely more than 5¢gal to be saved by buy discount brand/ no brand/ gas station (QT, Race Track, Speedway, etc.) gas. That said I usually plan ahead and fill the tank whenever I am passing a station with the cheapest (BP) gas in the area, and can then go 400-500 miles before filling up again.

When I drive to Florida I plan ahead, and usually get gas in Hardeeville, SC (SC has the cheapest gas on the entire route) immedidately before crossing into Georgia, and then topping off the tank in Jacksonville, FL which ensures I can drive all the way to Orlando and at least back to Jacksonville (if I don't have enough to get me back to Hardeeville) without ever buying gas in Orlando, which is significantly more expensive.
Old Jul 26th 2023, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And the flip side to that question is, "Why is Murphy undercutting the others by so much?" Surely a 10¢-15¢ discount would be enough to attract the value conscious driver? ..... That said, part of the explanation is that if you have a Shell, BP, or Exxon (and presumably others) branded credit/ payment card, you're getting 12¢-15¢ off the sticker price anyway, and you're fairly likely to stick exclusively to that brand. I have a BP card and I am only occasionally attracted to the steep discount offered by BJ's.

The prices in my neck of the woods have been fairly flat and stable for much of this year, staying around 3.399 +/-10¢ across all the areas I drive through regularly.
Murphy aren't undercutting. There are numerous others in the area in their price range. Even before they built the Murphy, these other 2 were consistently higher than most others. I thought when Murphy opened, it would force them to bring their prices down, but it hasn't. It's rare to see anyone filling up there. I guess someone filling up on the company dime may not care about the price.

Old Jul 26th 2023, 8:55 pm

Murphy aren't undercutting. There are numerous others in the area in their price range. Even before they built the Murphy, these other 2 were consistently higher than most others. I thought when Murphy opened, it would force them to bring their prices down, but it hasn't. It's rare to see anyone filling up there. I guess someone filling up on the company dime may not care about the price.
Ah, so you have the "big city" pricing model, where there is a very large gap between premium gas and the lesser brands. I think it was like that in New York when I lived there.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 4:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Quickly creeping up again. $3.53 for the cheap stuff at the local discount place.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Quickly creeping up again. $3.53 for the cheap stuff at the local discount place.
Same here in Tennessee. Most are in mid $3.50 range. Just a few weeks ago was $3 and some slightly under.
Old Aug 3rd 2023, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Same here in Tennessee. Most are in mid $3.50 range. Just a few weeks ago was $3 and some slightly under.
I haven't seen gas (in NC) under $3.15 in months, probably not this year. Mostly it has bounced up and down between $3.25 and $3.49.