Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:34 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

This is an interesting chart for comparisons over time between states: http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

It seems to show that most of the time NJ is below OH, but not right now.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:38 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Because Ohio is a well kept secret. Everyone disses it and it's cities but there are reasons to live here I tell you!
Go Bucks!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:35 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Go Bucks!
Marion's Pizza-Dayton!!
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea. Neil's theory is that Ohio is important in the election. My theory is that we have a lot competition amongst stations (they're everywhere), cheap real estate, lots of farms & longer commutes to work means they sell more so they can afford to offer it a lower price, we're lucky, and Midwesterners are the nicest people in the U.S. so we get a break.
All those points fit for maine too though, and it's well expensive up there...
Old Nov 1st 2008, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

leviramsey will become famous soon enough

The stated excise rate is just part of it.

Some states charge sales tax on petrol, some don't.

E.g. wholesale price before state taxes on petrol is $1.80/gallon (figure plucked from thin air). Add on the standard $0.12/gallon station markup and you're looking at $1.92/gallon before taxes (and before transportation...). Say you have state A that charges sales tax at 6% but has a $0.10/gallon excise... the price would thus be something like $2.14/gallon inclusive of all taxes. State B charges a $0.20/gal excise but exempts motor fuel from sales tax... the price would then be $2.12/gallon, even though B has a higher excise tax. Obviously, if prices decline, state A's prices will decline faster and at some point (wholesale prices of roughly $1.45/gallon by my math), A will have lower prices.

Then there's transportation costs: those states that have lower fuel prices after removing state excise taxes are by and large those that are on the coasts or on the Great Lakes, because they get the petrol off the tankers (or refine it themselves). Stations in inland states tend to have greater transport costs, though pipelines and such can ameliorate this a bit. In general, more urban states tend to have lower pre-tax prices (due to there being enough volume to generate competition, allow for efficient transport options, and spread the fixed costs over more customers; the tendency for urban areas to be on the water doesn't hurt).

So a rural inland state like West Virginia should tend to see rather high fuel prices.

It's always amazed me how cheap NJ can be, especially when you consider that self-serve is outlawed (which simultaneously increases costs and precludes the model that most modern petrol station operators use of running the station as a means to get you into the convenience store)....
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:50 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Marion's Pizza-Dayton!!
DH and I went to Marion's last night and met up with some friends. I managed to eat almost 1/2 of a large pepperoni and 2 mugs of beer!
Old Nov 1st 2008, 12:56 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by leviramsey
The stated excise rate is just part of it.

Some states charge sales tax on petrol, some don't.

E.g. wholesale price before state taxes on petrol is $1.80/gallon (figure plucked from thin air). Add on the standard $0.12/gallon station markup and you're looking at $1.92/gallon before taxes (and before transportation...). Say you have state A that charges sales tax at 6% but has a $0.10/gallon excise... the price would thus be something like $2.14/gallon inclusive of all taxes. State B charges a $0.20/gal excise but exempts motor fuel from sales tax... the price would then be $2.12/gallon, even though B has a higher excise tax. Obviously, if prices decline, state A's prices will decline faster and at some point (wholesale prices of roughly $1.45/gallon by my math), A will have lower prices.

Then there's transportation costs: those states that have lower fuel prices after removing state excise taxes are by and large those that are on the coasts or on the Great Lakes, because they get the petrol off the tankers (or refine it themselves). Stations in inland states tend to have greater transport costs, though pipelines and such can ameliorate this a bit. In general, more urban states tend to have lower pre-tax prices (due to there being enough volume to generate competition, allow for efficient transport options, and spread the fixed costs over more customers; the tendency for urban areas to be on the water doesn't hurt).

So a rural inland state like West Virginia should tend to see rather high fuel prices.

It's always amazed me how cheap NJ can be, especially when you consider that self-serve is outlawed (which simultaneously increases costs and precludes the model that most modern petrol station operators use of running the station as a means to get you into the convenience store)....
Something else I never thought of was that all of our stations (Ohio) are part of a mini mart (some with fast food like Subway, Taco Bell, etc.) which charges above average prices for food staples, soda, breakfast cereal, etc. Gasoline is not the only product they sell and profit from so they may be able to reduce their gas prices in order to get people in the shop. I know if I need milk or soda and I also need gas, I would rather get it in one stop than two.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:38 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

DH and I went to Marion's last night and met up with some friends. I managed to eat almost 1/2 of a large pepperoni and 2 mugs of beer!
Don't rub it in,
Old Nov 1st 2008, 9:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well I almost crashed when I swerved into the new Gulf station in the next town that had it way lower than anyone else by miles at $2.35G which was handy as I was running on fumes, but next door was $2.45 and across the street was $2.65
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:39 pm
Queen of my house

$1.91 in area but 1.96 in my neighborhood this morning. Northern Cincinnati has it for $1.84 at a station close to the Ikea store.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Nov 2nd 2008 at 2:42 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

$1.91 in area but 1.96 in my neighborhood this morning. Northern Cincinnati has it for $1.84 at a station close to the Ikea store.
Wow! I thought I had a bargain paying $2.33 a gallon yesterday.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 2:53 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Wow! I thought I had a bargain paying $2.33 a gallon yesterday.
I know, I thought I'd never see it that low again. I hate to say this but it doesn't effect DH and I much (even though we drive gas guzzlers) because we live so close to our jobs and do not do much driving.
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I know, I thought I'd never see it that low again. I hate to say this but it doesn't effect DH and I much (even though we drive gas guzzlers) because we live so close to our jobs and do not do much driving.
You're lucky. My husband drives 60 miles one way....... We were just talking about how much it was costing to fill up his very economical car just a few months ago.....
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:13 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
You're lucky. My husband drives 60 miles one way....... We were just talking about how much it was costing to fill up his very economical car just a few months ago.....
Agreed, up until mid July I was driving about 575 miles during the work week and even in the Corolla it was getting to be a strain... Now it's 300 miles and it's a big difference. Question is, how long will it last?
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 4:27 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Here it's $3.20, the lowest price I've seen since I moved here a couple of years ago...

I'm amazed by some of the prices you guys mention!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.