Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Price of gas update...

Price of gas update...

Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:13 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Price of gas update...

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I really don't think that has anything to do with the worldwide cost of crude..
Ohio has gas taxes over 10 cents higher than NJ, yet the cheapest in NJ is still around 30 cents more than the cheapest in Ohio. I did not mention the cost of crude at all.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:18 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
State taxes may account for the difference in prices from state to state. In NJ state taxes on gas are fairly low compared to many other states. Saying that...my husband saw gas at $2.18 yesterday...locally it's $2.89.
You live in a posh area so you can afford it; must be that their operating costs are so much higher in your area. Still, you don't have to go far from your way to find it much cheaper so who's still buying it there? Must be people who don't drive very far, but then how do they keep business to a level needed to support it? It's around $2.35 down my way.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:30 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
Ohio has gas taxes over 10 cents higher than NJ, yet the cheapest in NJ is still around 30 cents more than the cheapest in Ohio. I did not mention the cost of crude at all.
No, you didn't....I made an inference.

So how does election time have anything to do with it. Does Bush have so much control over the refineries, etc. that he can have them lower the price in one state but not the next?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:40 pm
Not here much

No, you didn't....I made an inference.

So how does election time have anything to do with it. Does Bush have so much control over the refineries, etc. that he can have them lower the price in one state but not the next?
Who knows - wasn't a serious statement really. Still, is there a plausible explanation for the discrepancies all over the country when the only significant difference is the amount of state tax? I said before NJ used to be really cheap compared to other states I had visited including Ohio, specifically Cincinnati in 2005 and Cincinnati is one of the cheap places noted on this thread. NJ used to be cheaper than there, why isn't it now?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:50 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Who knows - wasn't a serious statement really. Still, is there a plausible explanation for the discrepancies all over the country when the only significant difference is the amount of state tax? I said before NJ used to be really cheap compared to other states I had visited including Ohio, specifically Cincinnati in 2005 and Cincinnati is one of the cheap places noted on this thread. NJ used to be cheaper than there, why isn't it now?
It is probably a combination of factors, including required amounts of by state, competition among stations (a lot of small regional chains in OH, including large grocers), price of real estate station is on, etc.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:57 pm
Not here much

It is probably a combination of factors, including required amounts of by state, competition among stations (a lot of small regional chains in OH, including large grocers), price of real estate station is on, etc.
Agreed they factor in to the overall cost, but can they explain a 15 to 20% or more reduction since 2005 compared to NJ?

I'm sure with real estate going down there aren't that many wanting to open new gas stations in those areas - prices are going down for a reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a brand new gas station.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed they factor in to the overall cost, but can they explain a 15 to 20% or more reduction since 2005 compared to NJ?

I'm sure with real estate going down there aren't that many wanting to open new gas stations in those areas - prices are going down for a reason. I can't remember the last time I saw a brand new gas station.
There is only 0.8c difference in state taxes between Ohio and WV with Ohio being the higher. It really doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

$2.47 today
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:21 pm
Queen of my house

$1.95 in Cinci.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

$1.95 in Cinci.
Hey, stop showing off
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:51 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hey, stop showing off
I live too far away from the station to make it worth my while though. I"ll have to settle for the $2.11 in my neighborhood.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I live too far away from the station to make it worth my while though. I"ll have to settle for the $2.11 in my neighborhood.
Still quite cheap, you lucky thing. Must admit gas prices aren't too bad right now. Shame my IRA is heading the same way as the gas prices, though
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, you're kidding...I'm sure you've heard of BP, Mobil, and Marathon. Kroger is a huge grocery chain that started in OH and is now as far as Hilton Head, SC, the other places (except for Dixie) are chains of quickie marts like the old 7/11 or Circle K.

I don't get the laughing smiley face though.....is that a Maine thing?
BP and Mobile yes, Marathon, Thorntons, Speedway, Swifty, and Dixie Deli?

Kroger as a grocery store I know, not that they have one anywhere in Mass or Maine....

Irvings, Citco, Sunoco, Cumberland Farms are the big ones around here, there's a few Mobiles and Shells around, but not that many except on the interstate.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
BP and Mobile yes, Marathon, Thorntons, Speedway, Swifty, and Dixie Deli?

Kroger as a grocery store I know, not that they have one anywhere in Mass or Maine....

Irvings, Citco, Sunoco, Cumberland Farms are the big ones around here, there's a few Mobiles and Shells around, but not that many except on the interstate.
Price of gas has gone down.....yippeeeee its now $2.66 a gallon
Old Oct 29th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

$2.39 today

Getting closer to you Tamms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.