British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

ian-mstm May 11th 2011 11:30 pm

Re: Passport Delays

I wonder if anyone has considered suing the UK government for failure to uphold a contractual agreement. Whenever I've been shafted, I simply invoice the company for whatever money has been lost (such as flight rescheduling fees). I find that even if nothing happens, I get immediate satisfaction just from sending an invoice. On occasion, I get money back. On occasion, I get the problem solved. Nothing to lose by trying.

Ian

candy wy. May 12th 2011 12:07 am

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9358748)
I wonder if anyone has considered suing the UK government for failure to uphold a contractual agreement. Whenever I've been shafted, I simply invoice the company for whatever money has been lost (such as flight rescheduling fees). I find that even if nothing happens, I get immediate satisfaction just from sending an invoice. On occasion, I get money back. On occasion, I get the problem solved. Nothing to lose by trying.

Ian

why would any one book a flight when they do not have a current passport in hand... why any one would rely on a goverment agency to work in a timely manner is beyond me...

AmerLisa May 12th 2011 12:13 am

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9358791)
why would any one book a flight when they do not have a current passport in hand... why any one would rely on a goverment agency to work in a timely manner is beyond me...

Very true, Candy..... However, come on! In our case, my husband's application was received on March 9th! The credit card was charged on April 1st! I bet if we called tomorrow we'd find they hadn't even started on the application! Our trip is booked for August, certainly far enough out not to get too nervous, but when is it beyond ridiculous?

candy wy. May 12th 2011 12:20 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9358795)
Very true, Candy..... However, come on! In our case, my husband's application was received on March 9th! The credit card was charged on April 1st! I bet if we called tomorrow we'd find they hadn't even started on the application! Our trip is booked for August, certainly far enough out not to get too nervous, but when is it beyond ridiculous?

I am not saying it is not ridiculous how long they are taking, but to book a flight with no passport is not the smartess thing to do either ... just saying..

AmerLisa May 12th 2011 12:25 am

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9358803)
I am not saying it is not ridiculous how long they are taking, but to book a flight with no passport is not the smartess thing to do either ... just saying..

Depends on how far out you've booked your flight. It isn't the smartest if you've booked it down to wire (going on what the website says should be the turnaround for a renewal...) :D

WeeOne May 12th 2011 1:00 am

I had a current passport when we booked but it came to my attention that it had to be valid for 6 months beyond the return date.
I sent it in with 7 weeks till our trip completely oblivious to the delays as the information page states "allow 4 weeks for us to return your passport to you"
It might help to make ppl aware of it instead of us all dealing with this dog and pony show!

candy wy. May 12th 2011 1:08 am

Originally Posted by WeeOne (Post 9358829)
I had a current passport when we booked but it came to my attention that it had to be valid for 6 months beyond the return date.
!

This is not true.. a UK passport does not have to have six month validity on it to enter the US

WeeOne May 12th 2011 2:03 am

Originally Posted by candy wy. (Post 9358843)
This is not true.. a UK passport does not have to have six month validity on it to enter the US

I had been given this info from several sources so i proceeded with my renewal application, i read the other day as i am digging deeper into the whole thing that the US and the UK have an agreement that it only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay...i sent away a perfectly good and valid till october passport!!! Cue tears :'(
I the called careline again and told the guy this and he tells me that it does have to be valid for at least 6 months.
This is where there is a huge problem... There is conflicting info.
Worst part for me is our flights are booked for sat, we are obviously not going at this point and it is going to cost at least $1200 to reschedule... Never mind my wee daughters disappointment... Poor thing was so excited :( we can go in september, but the whole thing has been tainted. Im sending away for my cdn citizenship asap, in no way am i doing this again or applying for a new pr card every 5 yrs.

candy wy. May 12th 2011 2:34 am

Originally Posted by WeeOne (Post 9358916)
I had been given this info from several sources so i proceeded with my renewal application, i read the other day as i am digging deeper into the whole thing that the US and the UK have an agreement that it only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay...i sent away a perfectly good and valid till october passport!!! Cue tears :'(
\.

yep I would be crying also:(

ian-mstm May 12th 2011 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by WeeOne (Post 9358916)
I the called careline again and told the guy this and he tells me that it does have to be valid for at least 6 months.

He lied... because he doesn't know any better.

Ian

WeeOne May 12th 2011 4:40 pm

Seems to b a theme :(

StephieFaith83 May 12th 2011 6:44 pm

I sent off my application to change my name a couple weeks ago.

I have 24 weeks before I travel...

I think that should be enough time! ;)

ChaddyOwl May 13th 2011 12:05 am

Originally Posted by ChaddyOwl (Post 9358699)
Here's my timeline for my passport renewal:

18-Mar Passport received in Washington
12-Apr Credit card charge appeared
(numerous calls to Careline in between)
09-May Careline sent an e-mail to the passport office

OK, I can update my timeline.
I didn't receive any call or e-mail from the Passport Office after the Careline sent an e-mail on 09-May. The 72 hours that they told me to wait expired today, so I called them again. And during that call they told me that my passport had been printed and mailed, and also gave me the tracking number for UPS. :thumbsup:
Just checked UPS' website, and I can see that it is due for delivery tomorrow.

Here's the full timeline (exactly 8 weeks)

18-Mar Passport received in Washington
12-Apr Credit card charge appeared
(numerous calls to Careline in between)
09-May Careline sent an e-mail to the passport office
11-May Passport printed
13-May Due for delivery

WeeOne May 13th 2011 12:29 am

Thats fantastic news!
I called careline one last time today, still processing and i have not heard a peep from washington.

nsbarker May 13th 2011 12:56 am

ChaddyOwl, was your application for a new passport or a renewal?