British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Spikus Aug 4th 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Aja (Post 8752382)
I just received my old passport back after 4 weeks exactly....Only problem is my new one was not with it :(

They Need something from me that i do not have ....ie up to date id photo on USA passport or alien reg card ....

I wanted to send a private message to the British consul on here but I need to leave a couple more posts before I can !!!!

Help !!!!

Aja... my sincere sympathy.... please don't tell me that you are attempting this through the Washington passport office

British Consul Aug 5th 2010 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8751068)
The short term option is an emergency passport ... have you asked for one? Unsure about UAE but it would probably get you into the UK and possibly back to Canada.

Emergency Passports are not accepted by UAE.

Dean

Spikus Aug 5th 2010 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Spikus (Post 8741099)
In the interest of continuity.... called Careline again today (5 1/2 weeks) - got to feel sorry for the shmuck at the other end, not his fault - and guess what.... "they know nothing and will escalate". I really do sympathize with the proverbial mushroom! Of course, no reply to any of the email I send to Washington.... but then again, why should they give a S&*t, they are only public servants after all! Would be fascinated to know what metrics they use to measure quality of service provided.... or am I just being naive again? Just like the time I believed what they said on their website. You would think I would know better after 29 years as an expat!

And so the fiasco finally comes to an end.... New passport received this morning... only took 6 weeks and 2 days from payment of fees. Finally got a call from someone in Washington on Tuesday who claimed to be the person processing my application..... stated that she was unaware of any urgency, of my calls to Careline, or email replies to her office.... whatever!

BritInWI Aug 7th 2010 12:41 am

Basic renewal via Washington DC = 3 weeks and 2 days. England, here we come! :thumbsup:

EnglishmanInMICHIGAN Aug 9th 2010 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 8755775)
Emergency Passports are not accepted by UAE.

Dean

Hi Dean,
I spoke to one of you helpful guys in Orlando on Friday via phone. I don't know, it may have been you.
I sent my passport from Michigan to Washington 9 weeks ago, and I found out, ONLY THANKS TO YOU GUYS IN ORLANDO ON FRIDAY, that Washington had supposedly sent me an email telling me that my passport pictures were no good. I never received any email. So on the advice of your office in Orlando Friday, I sent new pictures to Washington by overnight mail and they arrived Saturday 11:00am. I am due to fly out of Detroit with DELTA THURSDAY MORNING for ATLANTA, then onward flight back home to UK THURSDAY EVENING @ 5:30pm, also DELTA from ATLANTA.
I AM LITERALLY SICK WITH WORRY THAT MY PASSPORT IS NOT GOING TO ARRIVE BEFORE THURSDAY MORNING.

MY REFERENCE NUMBER <snip>K, AND I ADDRESSED IT WASHINGTON 20008.
<snip>

Can you possibly help in any way?

Kind Regards
Edward John Hyslop
IMPORTANT: PLEASE SEE YOUR FACEBOOK DISCUSSIONS BOARD. I have posted there also just in case you dont see this.

Sue Aug 9th 2010 2:08 pm

You had put way too much personal info in your original post, so I removed two bits. Then you just edited your post and re-added it, which I have also now removed. It really is not wise to post personal information like your email address, case number, team colour/name etc on a public forum.

EnglishmanInMICHIGAN Aug 9th 2010 2:42 pm

Apologies Sue.
Edward

Sue Aug 9th 2010 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by EnglishmanInMICHIGAN (Post 8763752)
Apologies Sue.
Edward

No worries. :)

British Consul Aug 11th 2010 4:02 am

Edward,

I think our Chicago office is going to be in touch with you on this. I was the one who took your call on Friday - I was having a spin on the new technology we've got for answering calls. Think I'll leave it to the experts though!

I've seen your Post on our Facebook page (and edited a few items out too). Thanks for posting.

Dean

ScottMc Sep 2nd 2010 11:45 pm

Hi,

I just sent off my renewal a few days ago. Should be straight forward but I didn't get photos countersigned per advice I saw on here that it's not necessary if there are no changes to appearance. Seeing this thread did get me concerned however as I'm travelling on October 20th so I hope there are no issues.

I noticed it's possible to get the application flagged as needing to travel. How should I go about this?

Thanks

British Consul Sep 4th 2010 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by ScottMc (Post 8822305)
Hi,

I just sent off my renewal a few days ago. Should be straight forward but I didn't get photos countersigned per advice I saw on here that it's not necessary if there are no changes to appearance. Seeing this thread did get me concerned however as I'm travelling on October 20th so I hope there are no issues.

I noticed it's possible to get the application flagged as needing to travel. How should I go about this?

Thanks

You send a covering note in with your application and include a photocopy of your travel itinerary.

Dean

ScottMc Sep 4th 2010 4:08 pm

Thanks Dean. Since I already sent my application missed the boat on that. Should I just send a letter in with those details to the same address or make a call? I'm sure it would probably be ok but don't want to risk my trip

British Consul Sep 8th 2010 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ScottMc (Post 8826173)
Thanks Dean. Since I already sent my application missed the boat on that. Should I just send a letter in with those details to the same address or make a call? I'm sure it would probably be ok but don't want to risk my trip

Best to write:

UK Passport Service
19 Observatory Circle NW
Washington DC 20008

Dean

EnglishmanInMICHIGAN Sep 8th 2010 7:38 am

Re: Passport Delays. Chicago Consulate AMAZING.

In spite of some minor misunderstandings between Washington and myself, (in regards to pictures) I ended up having to travel from Michigan to Chicago the day before I was due to travel to the UK.
What service in the British Embassy in Chicago...... absolutely out of this world speed, courtesy, helpfulness, the whole nine yards. A young American man working at the Embassy, could not do enough to help and reassure me the whole time I was there.

Just one small thing you wonderful folks in Chicago.... How about getting a drinks machine or tea and coffee making equipment in there. I was absolutely parched and had to leave the building to walk some distance for a drink.
I think the British Government could at least run to that????

Thanks again to ALL in Chicago, and I am now in possession of my new Passport in UK. It arrived from Washington at my home in the States, one day after my departure from the States. My Emergency Travel Document worked perfectly.

E J H

rrvv72 Sep 13th 2010 5:27 pm

I sent my passport for renewal to Washington from Toronto for me and a new pasport of the kids. I got charge on July 29, 2010. Today is September 13, 2010 6 weeks and 2 days. I am gettting worried I have no passport British or Canadian. I have travel arrangement to the USA September 20, 2010 and England October 2010 and I am worried I will not get it in on time.