British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

Brigette Jun 7th 2011 5:29 am

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by shak (Post 9415250)
Wow...this thread is making me nervous! I wish I looked this up before...
I need to renew my passport, I will be sending my form on Wednesday...I'll be traveling on a one way ticket back to London on August 3rd(passport expires on the 2nd). I really hope I get my passport by then.

Just to be sure, it seems that the best thing to do is send by UPS or FedEx and not USPS?
Using a credit card/debit card instead of a money order so that I can see when they've taken the money out...
Having the picture taken at Walgreens, since they have a "UK Passport" option... am I on the right track here?

By what date should I really be worried...A week before I travel?

As another option...should I just bump up my date of travel by a few days and just renew my passport when I get to the UK? I'm not sure how close to the expiry I would be able to travel...but it expires Aug 2nd, could I perhaps travel up to that date?

I'm not an expert in terms of getting the passport, but from everything I've read, if you can travel before the passport expires then definitely do so... it seems the easier thing to do. Also from what I've read, a lot easier getting the passport in the UK than in the US.

trinbrit Jun 7th 2011 11:10 am

Originally Posted by penguinbar (Post 9413873)
The timeline actually starts after your credit card was charged not from when you sent it out or it was received. So your timeline is actually 3 weeks.The website had originally mentioned about 4 weeks after your credit card was charged but there are longer delays now. Our credit card was charged April 14th and still nothing.

Thanks for that bit of info senior member i was however trying to not admit that part to my self hahahaha now i have a knot in my stomach lol so yes i am in my 3 rd week after cc charged so i hope that i am not looking at another 4 weeks as i am a radio journalist and am always traveling so dont and cant leave incase ups turn up on my door and im not there to recieve.

Bob Jun 7th 2011 12:36 pm

Having the picture taken at Walgreens, since they have a "UK Passport" option... am I on the right track here?

By what date should I really be worried...A week before I travel?

As another option...should I just bump up my date of travel by a few days and just renew my passport when I get to the UK? I'm not sure how close to the expiry I would be able to travel...but it expires Aug 2nd, could I perhaps travel up to that date?

Travel earlier if you can and get the passport in the UK....but if you get it done in the US, you can just use US passport sized photos.

ian-mstm Jun 7th 2011 12:55 pm

As another option...should I just bump up my date of travel by a few days and just renew my passport when I get to the UK?

Yes... much simpler, and it avoids 7 weeks of imminent passport renewal stress.

I'm not sure how close to the expiry I would be able to travel...but it expires Aug 2nd, could I perhaps travel up to that date?
Your passport is valid up to and including the expiry date. I'd leave on August 1 just to be safe!

Ian

shak Jun 7th 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks everyone! Good to know about the expiraton date...I was a bit worried about that. Has anyone tried this already?
I've been getting conflicting answers...some say you need to have 6 months on your passport for entry. Bumping up my flight by a few days shouldn't be a problem(unless they try to charge me some ridiculous fee!), I will check with the airline today to see the availability.

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2011 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by shak (Post 9416428)
Thanks everyone! Good to know about the expiraton date...I was a bit worried about that. Has anyone tried this already?
I've been getting conflicting answers...some say you need to have 6 months on your passport for entry. Bumping up my flight by a few days shouldn't be a problem(unless they try to charge me some ridiculous fee!), I will check with the airline today to see the availability.

If you mean entry back to the US...the answer is no...you have a GC/visa/US PP. The answer is no for entry into the UK too. :)

jlrmatt Jun 7th 2011 2:31 pm

I have to leave the US for good on Tuesday (June 14th) and haven't received my passport yet.

I sent it on May 12th allowing 5 weeks for it to be processed. I didn't know there were horrendous delays. My father renewed his from Spain and it took only 10 days from sending it to getting it back - I thought it would be as efficient here. I already called the "premium number" twice, and I'm not even in the system :(. They said they'll call me back within 72 hours (24 hrs had passed and nothing). At this point, I wish I could get my old passport back to renew it in Spain.

I have to vacate my flat in NY on Tuesday, and have a research trip arranged in Spain followed by a conference in Lisbon - both are crucial for my work. I'm really desperate to get my passport back.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

shak Jun 7th 2011 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9416441)
If you mean entry back to the US...the answer is no...you have a GC/visa/US PP. The answer is no for entry into the UK too. :)

I meant entry into the UK, but thanks :)

Next time my passport expires I'll start the process 6 months ahead of time, this is stressful!

jlrmatt Jun 7th 2011 2:32 pm

Has anyone had any luck actually talking to someone human in Washington? Might it be possible to courier my old passport back if I pay for the service?

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by shak (Post 9416466)
I meant entry into the UK, but thanks :)

Next time my passport expires I'll start the process 6 months ahead of time, this is stressful!

You are a UK citizen and therefore as long as your UK PP is valid you're good to go.

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2011 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jlrmatt (Post 9416462)
I have to leave the US for good on Tuesday (June 14th) and haven't received my passport yet.

I sent it on May 12th allowing 5 weeks for it to be processed. I didn't know there were horrendous delays. My father renewed his from Spain and it took only 10 days from sending it to getting it back - I thought it would be as efficient here. I already called the "premium number" twice, and I'm not even in the system :(. They said they'll call me back within 72 hours (24 hrs had passed and nothing). At this point, I wish I could get my old passport back to renew it in Spain.

I have to vacate my flat in NY on Tuesday, and have a research trip arranged in Spain followed by a conference in Lisbon - both are crucial for my work. I'm really desperate to get my passport back.

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Read through Dean's (username British Consul) posts...there's info in his posts about emergency UK PP.

jlrmatt Jun 7th 2011 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9416483)
Read through Dean's (username British Consul) posts...there's info in his posts about emergency UK PP.

Many thanks, I'll look now.

Jerseygirl Jun 7th 2011 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by jlrmatt (Post 9416488)
Many thanks, I'll look now.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...postcount=1025

davidru Jun 7th 2011 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by jlrmatt (Post 9416471)
Has anyone had any luck actually talking to someone human in Washington? Might it be possible to courier my old passport back if I pay for the service?

Please let me know if you figure out how! I think I'm in a similar situation.

David

ian-mstm Jun 7th 2011 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by shak (Post 9416428)
... some say you need to have 6 months on your passport for entry.

As a UKC, you can not be denied entry to the UK even with an expired UK passport.

The airline, however, may have different requirements (although not in this case, since you're a UKC seeking entry to the UK with a valid UKPP).

Ian